EA - Peter Moore's Thoughts on the Future

Another problem with the whole 'streaming' concept, aside from the obvious world-wide lack-of-infrastructure, bandwidth limitations (in certain markets), and high cost (in certain markets, such as some European and Asian countries) is that streaming implies that you won't own games, just rent them.

Arguably, there are pluses and minuses to rent-only. But at least here in the USA, the law is going to be playing catch-up when all the unintended abuses begin cropping up every which way. There are already plenty of examples. One of the most egregious examples is when a company bans a customer from playing a game they pay for because they are critical of the game on their forums. Things like that should concern everybody.

Laws are going to have to compel companies to level the playing field when it comes to fair play between a game developer/publisher and their customers. What MS tried to do with Xbox One gives great insight into just how one-sided companies will attempt to be in an environment where laws fail to fully address the digital space.

I see these legal 'ownership' hurdles as big a deal as internet infrastructure hurdles. Remember when Napster first surfaced as a digital distribution for Music and the years of chaos that ensued? That kind of chaos is going to happen again if things don't start off in a planned and controlled manner where everyone's rights and responsibilities are clearly understood from a legal standpoint.

Also - Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony make their money from having their own propriety console delivery systems, and the associated licensing and/or for the games that run on them. It would take a platform war with a single winner to result in a single internet streaming or chip-based delivery system for games.

Its not necessary. There will be set basic standard that all those manufacturers will support.

Anyway I think Peter Moore knows about problems with infrastructure and connectivity. Its not near future. Now he just tries to talk about it and tests response of the public.
Hidden message: owning games is obsolete, renting games and paying for each minute/hour is the future.

Peter Moore doesn't think nor care about games. His job is moneymaking.

While not mentioning him and this article, I've posted on Bioware forum that selling glass under diamod tag and diamond price is - scam. Sadly noone will notice it and people will still pay crapload of $ for plain junk. The proof is SW:Battlefront.

People not owning anything is a major idea for communism society. The only owners possible are the state (government) and companies. Those companies of course ar3e owned by a country, not by human being(s).
Maybe in the future it does happen, you cannot own nothing and everything is just rental. But in such case I hope I'll be dead before it happens.

is that streaming implies that you won't own games, just rent them.

Of course they want that ! Total Control Of Ownership (TCOO) Over IPs !

Gaming becomes a mere service ! You won't be able to own anything anymore like with board games !

This way it's THE perfect DRM !

People not owning anything is a major idea for communism society. The only owners possible are the state (government) and companies. Those companies of course ar3e owned by a country, not by human being(s).

The end-point of capitalism is :

People not owning anything - except a few people, those who own 99,9999999999999999 % of everything.

That's the projected end point of capitalism.

True. So start planning how to enter that 0,01%.

I'm not saying one system is better than another, IMO both are evil as in both a human individual is just an object. But currently we don't have anything better. It's a long road to sci-fi books idillyc societies without poverty and misery with science/exploration oriented society thanks to robotics.

I lived under communism until I was 15 years old. I can tell you with full confidence that capitalism is better. Not perfect, but better.

Back
Top Bottom