Drakensang Unlimited money exploit (SPOILER)

mtm

Traveler
DO NOT click the spoiler bar unless you are absolutely sure it won't ruin your Drakensang experience forever. It did for me. Apologies if this is common knowledge but I haven't seen a mention of this on any forum.

Doable at level 3 when you first enter the Ducal district.

The alchemist Auralia (in the Ducal district, front of the barracks) sells a recipe for Elixir of Courage. The ingredients are 1x Finage, 2x Brimstone Water and 1x Golmoon Leaf. With 4% haggle (what Gladys starts with) Auralia sells Finage for 5D (ducats) per a stack of 100 and Brimstone Water for 29D / 100. And the green-robed herbalist just NW of Auralia sells Golmoon for 2D / 100. All in all, a full stack of 100 Elixirs of Courage costs 65D to make. As far as I can tell the merchants have unlimited supply of all these ingredients.

Elixir of Courage requires Alchemy 3 (!) and sells for 73D /100 with the same Haggle 4.

This is a 8D/65D = 12.3% return on interest for your gold every time you do this. Out of nowhere. Exponential growth means so much gold it doesn't even matter very quickly. And you can make this WAY faster if you improve haggle abit (haggle 10 means whoppin 26% ROI).

I was just trying to find the most profitable way to make potions with the herbs I had gathered and sell them. I guess I frickin found it!

I know you can just ignore this little exploit but how can this game, that has truly amazing content, be so frustratingly unfinished when the German version had supposedly millions of players. Someone else MUST have found this out.

and its return of investment. stupid brain fatrs

Maybe too lazy? I was going to start making that elixir of courage, for my own use, but I guess I'll try reselling it now. I think my haggle is something like 9 or 11% at the moment. (Evil chuckle)

Don't stray away too far, mtm. You're definitely a useful person to have around. ;)

Gothic 2 had such thing too, not a big problem, just don't exploit if you don't like.

Gothic 2 had such thing too, not a big problem, just don't exploit if you don't like.

Exactly. Just say no to selling self-crafted stuff. (You will get more than enough money during the game, anyway.)

Gothic 1 also had a glitch that you could exploit, making tons and tons of pieces of fried meat...

Cheats are fun, but they do spoil the whole object of the game, don't they?

I'd say that, if you want to spend the game as alchemist who runs his business to make money, go for it. The investment is considerable, and the profit margin is not too high. I've seen much worse.

I just want to add that I don't really think selling your own potions in Drakensang is a "cheat". After all, this is how real life also works - there is to be an expected gain from manufacturing a product from raw materials.

When I was talking about "cheating" I meant exploiting glitches. The glitch in Gothic 1 was some technical issue whereby you could double the amount of cooked meat in your inventory, if you manipulated your interface in a certain way, while 'cooking' it.

I remember that Divine Divinity had a similar glitch with containers that you could exploit to make duplicates of items.

I agree it shouldn't be considered an exploit, well, except maybe for the fact that the vendor has infinite source of materials so you have an infinite source of gold. It would be better if it worked off the plants you collect and/or if the vendors had limited supplies.

I agree it shouldn't be considered an exploit, well, except maybe for the fact that the vendor has infinite source of materials so you have an infinite source of gold. It would be better if it worked off the plants you collect and/or if the vendors had limited supplies.

Yes, that's a very valid point. If you have invested in building up a party member's harvesting skills, it starts to feel rather pointless if you can simply buy endless ingredients for a cheapish price.

They could perhaps have made the ingredients slightly more expensive to buy as well, but I suppose all of that, plus the profit you make, is dependent on your haggling skill.
So yes, limited supplies from vendors would have been a better idea.

Some supplies do seem to be limited. Double Distillate and Lockpicks are very difficult to find. The thieves guild has had no LP's since I bought my first set of 10 for example!!

Corwin, look around for "shady characters". They tend to hide in niches in walls along city streets, so are not always easy to spot. (Look over your shoulder often, to spot them more easily).
They sell all your thieve's requirements, including lockpicks. :)

I seem to remember that the herb lady in the Inn in Moorbridge had quite a bit of double distillate. Pity I didn't buy some, then.

"Alternative" traders are shown on the radar if the corresponding skill is high enough. I think it was streetwise or similar.

All the good stuff is limited.

You don't need more money than you get automatically. The 1000 ducats for the ship are a fortune. You can hardly spend more.

"Alternative" traders are shown on the radar if the corresponding skill is high enough. I think it was streetwise or similar.

All the good stuff is limited.

You don't need more money than you get automatically. The 1000 ducats for the ship are a fortune. You can hardly spend more.

and you recover those 1000 ducats.
I don't remember thinking about money after like level 6. There is too much money (or not enough ways to spend it) in the game I think. Having ducats in barrels on plain sight doesn't help *insert my usual hatred towards stupid breakable barrels and boxes in games comment here*

Last edited:
Better put that in spoiler tags.

Hey, what would an RPG without treasure chests and breakable barrels be?

I love breaking them barrels, especially when I assign my Amazon to do it, and she shouts: "Die!" at the barrel just before smashing it. :lol:

Better put that in spoiler tags.
Done
Hey, what would an RPG without treasure chests and breakable barrels be?
It would be a much better RPG lol
Ok, let me rephrase where my hatred for them comes from...
If there is a barrel in plainsight, have it spill beer or wine to the ground, and have its owner scream for the guards and have them arrest you. (Same with the opening of chests in front of everybody)

Hmm, more barrels/chests in hidden areas would be nice, also the requirement to use sneak skill when NPC's are around. Stealing out of a person's locked chest from right under his nose, with no pretense even, of stealth, can be a bit anti-immersive, surreal even.

Beside setting up a complicate stealing/jail/sneaking system (never saw any good, not even in Morrowind) a more simple solution is to not put such barrel and chests in location where a possible owner is close.

Back
Top Bottom