Poor: (sic) Ruins of Myth Drannor Bug

Hmm.. I wouldn't mind seeing GOG get this game, although I doubt it's popular enough for them to make the effort. Is it possible to get it running in Windows 7 64bit?

I wouldn't know mate, since I'm an xp user - but I don't see why not with some tweaking. Maybe Thrasher or Todd used Win7?
In XP I just have to disable my video card and sound acceleration in dxdiag and it works perfectly.

80 % you say Thrasher? That's not too shabby. I'm on the home stretch then.

I had a funny little issue with Emmeric last night when I had to drop him for Tudo to retrieve that bent elf key on the Lower Keep level. I didn't realise that when I'd go to pick him up again, that his stats and xp would reset - and so I must have lost about 4 levels, plus the loot he had acquired!

Gold is essentially pointless in this game. You eventually get so much of it, but don't really find anywhere to spend or invest it. Plus the sheer magnitude of magical stuff you find is pretty over the top. I didn't have any problems replacing Emmeric's gear anyway.

The game has some glaring flaws and nasty weaknesses - but the core turn based combat experience is quite fun and enjoyable. Plus I rather enjoy the exploration of the sprawling dungeons.

I have zero experience with Win7 or 64 bit OS's and stay away from them; they tend to break old games, which is what I mainly play. Maybe Todd has tried RoMD on Win7?

There is a post here, that describes a possible workaround.

http://www.sorcerers.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14

It looks like the UBI forums for RoMD have disappeared. Is it really that much trouble to keep old forums alive? :(

The loot IS ridiculous. And there's nothing to sell it for, except at the very beginning. Lots of special abilities on them, and the packrat in me is never willing to give up a unique item, otherwise I'd drop it.

That's a bummer about Emmeric (and it sounds like a bug). Which may have driven me not to rely on NPCs for much. Or maybe he was wearing gear that boosted his level? :(

Did you find the Deathspike? That is an absolute keeper through pretty much the whole game and you get it fairly early. My Paladin/Cleric used it for its whopping 5x critical multiplier or somesuch.

I'm on Vista 64 and I tried installing it a few months back. I could not get it working properly. Menu text was missing, body parts invisible, objects invisible. It was pretty frustrating since I wanted a replay. I tried lots of tweaks and gave up. I'll re-purchase if someone does a fresh build and distribution online.

Sorry no W7 experience.

Not a dealbreaker... I actually still have WinXP on my other partition. I just strongly prefer to run in Win 7 when I can.

I'd still love to see GOG pick it up though. They already have a shitload of Ubisoft published titles.

I'm embarassed to admit that I bought this once upon a time... even bought the Prima guide... but have yet to play it.

It's in a drawer somewhere :(

That sounds familiar but not sure if I tried it. When I finish FO Vegas I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the tip :)

Man, I finally did it. What an utterly savage game. The final haul up to Castle Cormanthor took a long time, but it was certainly worth it - with a whole swag of long nasty battles.

I had some trouble with graphical slow downs related to spell effects towards the end (incendiary cloud/cloudkill) and would have to avoid using those spells. It also meant that the final fight with Pelendraalar was particularly irksome due to his breathing ability and penchant to cast incendiary clouds at my mages, who were often hovering about waiting for the right moment to sneak in and heal/apply salves to the fighters. It was a slow and agonising fight and I cursed many times as my fighters flailed away, but eventually the beast fell and to much celebration. ;)

Because it's a dracolich - it brought back memories of encountering Crimdrac for the first time (from Curse of the Azure Bonds).

For the posterity of the thread, here's the details of how my party ended up.
I had some fun with the multi-classing options when my characters all reached the maximum level in their chosen primary classes of 16.

Vastlaar: Level 16 Fighter/Level 3 Barbarian. 187 HP, AC 30, using a trusty Battleaxe+5. He was slow to develop, but ended up being a heavy hitter towards the end.

Thorn: Level 16 Barbarian/Level 3 Rogue. 207 HP, AC 19, using Helm Cleaver.
He was our heavy slugger from the start towards the middle game, then faded a little.

Vigamortis: Level 16 Sorcerer/Level 2 Cleric. HP 49 (there's that low con for you!) and AC 15. His tendency to die must have irritated the hell out of my cleric. ;)
He loved Roderick's Walking stick.

Cassandra: Level 16 Cleric/Level 2 Fighter. HP 94. AC 25. She was much relied upon in the heat of the bigger battles.

Emmeric: Trusty ol' Emm ended up a level 16 Fighter/level 3 Ranger. 178 HP, AC 30. He used Artoth's Bane, which did some monstrous damage towards the end.

Jarial: Level 16 Sorcerer/Level 2 Cleric. AC 25, 101 HP (!). With Vigga, he was integral to winning the game, helping to keep the fighters standing.

Overall, I'm very happy with finally beating this game and can honestly say that it has temporarily sated my love of the classic dungeon crawl. ;)

Back
Top Bottom