Drakensang Is this game a classic, or just the right game at the right time?

Grandor Dragon

Sentinel
I think the consensus is that for people who like taditional RPGs, Drakensang is an enjoyable experience. But is this due to exceptional qualities of the game, or is it just the lack of competition nowadays? For me it is hard to tell, because I like pen&paper TDE quite a bit, so I am biased. If I try to be objective, I must say that there is very little, or even nothing, that sets this game apart from the classics.

The world design is great, IMO. I like the lightheartedness on one hand, but also the very realistic architecture. Despite not having NPC shedules etc., the game is immersive.

I already mentioned that Drakensang is, IMO, a well programmed game. It runs extremely well, and is relatively bug free (I didn't encounter a single bug I can remember at this moment).

Some people have complained about the camera, but I think that overall the controls are great. I had no problems whatsoever.

The story is solid, the characters are likeable, and some locations imaginative. I like how the game has a decent amount of classic puzzles.

The combat system works very well, though I don't like how quick you regenerate, and some areas suffer a lot from using the same enemies again and again. The crafting system is fun.

But none of this would make Drakensang special. I guess if this was a stronger period for RPGs, Drakensang wouldn't get much attention. What do you think?

Last edited:
It would still be positively received if there was more competition, at least in the long term - discounting stupid reviewers who only play it for 3 hours.

Drakensang's strength is not one feature. It's the mix and the overall high quality of every ingredient. Also don't underestimate the positive impact on a player's mood caused by the mature technology. 9 out of 10 RPGs don't run well out of the box. They are either unstable or demand high end PCs to look decent.

So yes, Drakensang is no classic. It's a league behind Gothic 1 or 2, a couple of Ultimas, Fallout, Planescape. (In most cases despite having less weaknesses. ;) ). But it's definitely a good game, no weaker than every other RPG not generally considered a classic.

Well, simply to put it: It's the best RPG in a while.

The strong and the weak point of Drakensang is that it's traditional. I love the tradiotional UI design, the graphics and the looks. But the story, characters, items and places have been visited thousands of times before, thus Drakensang doesn't give anything new. And of course the low budget can be seen everywhere, it's just missing little things here and there, though "the skeleton" works so well that you can ignore those faults.

There is so much good stuff, but nothing is exceptional well, so I cannot say it's a classic like Ultima-, Baldur's Gate-, Icewind Dale-, Neverwinter Nights- or Kotor- series. It really doesn't deliver anything new and unique... But it's good substitute while we wait for BG3. ;)

Well, simply to put it: It's the best RPG in a while.

This is also my opinion.

I still don't know, but I think people might've become kind of bored of the same old formula being used over and over again. Thus no real competition.

The (A)D&D games dominate a huge part of P&P-driven C-RPGs, and the other side are just dark & gritty C-RPGs like the Gothic series ... There is not much in between.

One imho outstanding point of Drakensang is, that it is not only a party-based C-RPG (there are very few of that already nowadays !), but in combination[/b] with an utterly "traditional" (in a positive meaning like a "traditional" good meal) setting that is quite light in tone and tune !

I mean that the overall environment isn't so dark like in many other recent RPGs I remember (can't say much about Oblivion, though).

In our current age of Dark Fantasy, Drakensang shines through like a lit gem !

And THAT in contrast to the ongoing German discussions about Aventuria having become too dark within the last years ...

Certainly not a classic, but it's a very good game. Best gaming experience I've had since King's Bounty (that means it beat Fallout 3 and NWN2)

mmm Gorath I tried the demo, but I just gave up since it really was a few frames a second with me.
I thought you said no high demands?
I havea a 3.2Ghz processor with 2GB ram and Nvidea 5700 with 128mb
shoudln't this be enough if it wasn't high demanding? because I also bought King's Bounty and that runs smooth?

mmm Gorath I tried the demo, but I just gave up since it really was a few frames a second with me.
I thought you said no high demands?
I havea a 3.2Ghz processor with 2GB ram and Nvidea 5700 with 128mb
shoudln't this be enough if it wasn't high demanding? because I also bought King's Bounty and that runs smooth?
Yes, low demands. A 100€ graphics card (GeForce 9600GT or the slightly faster 8800/9800/(whatever it's called now)GT is fast enough for full details including(!) FSAA & AF @ 1024*768. A solid PC around such a graphics card can be built for ca. 400€, including the card.
Your GeForce 5700 entered the market in 2003. No offense, but this card is total crap nowadays. Even the better onboard chipsets are faster. A 3.2 GHz CPU and 2 GB RAM are generally speaking fast enough to play the game. The graphics card is the bottleneck.

mmm I thought it would be that. Was an other game, don't remeber wich one that shuld run just good, except couldn't run because of the 3dCard.

Sorry for going of topic.
But I have to admit I hate it that I still haven't been able to try this game, because everyone here says it so good and I read little snips on the forum here about puzzles and so. That really made me want to try the game but it will have to wait untill I buy a new PC :)

mmm I thought it would be that. Was an other game, don't remeber wich one that shuld run just good, except couldn't run because of the 3dCard.

Sorry for going of topic.
But I have to admit I hate it that I still haven't been able to try this game, because everyone here says it so good and I read little snips on the forum here about puzzles and so. That really made me want to try the game but it will have to wait untill I buy a new PC :)

you really don't need to buy a new PC. You could just get a good enough Nvidia 7xxx for like $60, or a very good and not so old 8800 for like $100. The computer itself should be ok for now.

Since you're running a 5700 then I assume that the Motherboard is AGP. The Last Nvidia AGP card that I know about is 6800GS. It will be difficult to upgrade the Video.
Note: I haven't used ATI/AMD Video Cards for years so I don't know If there's anything better in the ATI AGP card lineup.

Shaf

Since you're running a 5700 then I assume that the Motherboard is AGP. The Last Nvidia AGP card that I know about is 6800GS. It will be difficult to upgrade the Video.
Note: I haven't used ATI/AMD Video Cards for years so I don't know If there's anything better in the ATI AGP card lineup.

Shaf
Oh if it's AGP then forget it, no use spending $ on it, just save $500 and get a brand new PC

Since you're running a 5700 then I assume that the Motherboard is AGP. The Last Nvidia AGP card that I know about is 6800GS.

There was also a 7800GS and even a 7950GT AGP. The latter should be hard to find (I think it was only made by XFX and no one else) and I wouldn't recommend it anyway because it was noisy as hell. A 7800GS on the other hand would be a decent upgrade for titus' PC if he could find one for cheap.

I'm not much of an ATI fan either due to their driver and compatibility issues but they do in fact have the better AGP lineup. I believe that the HD3850 is currently the fastest AGP card that money can buy.

mmm I guess I will go for a new PC in a few months, with more RAM and a better 3d and bigger hard disc :p

Then I won't even have problems with newer games (like alpha protocal maybe)
Hope I can keep the cost low with not needing a new screen, or maybe I will even buy a new one and give this to my mom.

What about a laptop for gaming? I don't knows if it is a good idea, but I think not.

I think it would be really good no matter what also.

Sorry, but this description belongs to The Witcher. :)

The Witcher was released 1½ year ago, so it's been a while since a good rpg and personally I just didn't like it, even though I believe it might be a good game, but just not for me.

This is also my opinion.
In our current age of Dark Fantasy, Drakensang shines through like a lit gem !

And THAT in contrast to the ongoing German discussions about Aventuria having become too dark within the last years ...

Interesting point and I must agree. The new dark ages are coming! :eek:

mmm I guess I will go for a new PC in a few months, with more RAM and a better 3d and bigger hard disc :p

Then I won't even have problems with newer games (like alpha protocal maybe)
Hope I can keep the cost low with not needing a new screen, or maybe I will even buy a new one and give this to my mom.

What about a laptop for gaming? I don't knows if it is a good idea, but I think not.

My opinion on laptops is, if your primary use is business and need mobility, then you can do gaming on it, but if you're getting it for your home use, forget it. It will cost more than a desktop with the same specs (or even less specs) and it's less upgradable (and more expensive to upgrade). Now, if you do need a laptop for something else, then you can spend a bit more to make it 'gaming friendly' (good video, 2GB RAM, etc)

Yeah I think you're probably right. Part of it's appeal is it's just such a novelty to see a game like this these days. Well, any single player RPG is a novelty these days, I'm sad to say.

It dosn't come close to being a classic compared to the greats of old like Fallout 2, Baldur's Gate 2, and to a slightly lesser degree Gothic 1 and 2 and KOTOR, largely because it puts too high an emphasis on dungeon crawling and hack and slash in my opionion.

But I agree it's a good game though.

I've started playing Drakensang recently, and actually the more I play, the more I enjoy. Not that it's excelling in any way, but all things mixed up and packaged, it's damn solid and enjoyable title. Also - having something else than another incarnation of DnD is pretty refreshing as well.

After being bored to death by The Witcher, and thoroughly disappointed with NWN2, this is quite a positive surprise. I don't really have the best memories from older titles like BG1/2 either. As comparing to Gothics, it's difficult to do imo. A bit like apples vs. oranges.

Also, from purely technical standpoint, it feels quite well coded. With blazing fast alt-tab.

Hopefully, it will only get better with upcoming titles.

You got bored with the witcher?

Back
Top Bottom