The internet is goign down from tomorrow,(SOPA and PIPA)

The conspiracy.

I'd rather call it "The Corporatism".

There is a German saying that is going like this : "they are watching their furs swimming away" - which is like : Someone is (often with horror) watching what he or she considered to be a secure proit going away ... and this saying is normally followed by a sentence expressing that actions are taken which have the goal to let those profits not swim away ...

This is exactly what is happining here. companies which are concentrated on IPs as their means of generating profits see their (proposed to be secure) profits swimming away, and the only action they can imagine is like ... building a dam on the river to let those furs not to escape (if these furs were till attached to beavers, for example, figuratively speaking).

This dam consists of ... something that is meant to let the IPs, which are used to generate profits, not to "escape".

SOPA is much needed legislation, and cannot come soon enough. It's time that the Internet stops being like the 17th century Caribbeans.

It was never right in the first place to be so tolerant of one blatant copyright violation after another. These mechanisms are needed because someone can simply seek a country with lax laws to get around US legislation.

I am sure a liberal activist judge is going to cry foul no matter what, though.

You can be certain though that there will be more and more order, because people are unable to regulate themselves, and this was a situation that only prevailed for so long because the law takes a long time to catch up with technological advances. In the future, the Internet will probably become about as interactive as a cable subscription. App stores are a step in this direction.

The Internet simply cannot be anything but quasi-total savagery without gatekeepers, and the policymakers will ultimately react accordingly.

You didnt watch the videos did you? Especially the conspiracy vid?

@ Damian

Don't take HHR seriously. Once you do, it's all over for your sanity.

Also, are you argentinian perchance? I do know a certain argentinian by the name of Damian, and he's the kind of guy who would use Mahadeva as a nickname too.

Yay, that's one less ex for things to get akward with while camping here.

codexlove2.png

For against the piracy, it's fine, but what of the buyouts? If they take the internet down, we won't have any contact or any internet shops to look out for games or anything else. Did they think of that?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...kup-postponed/2011/12/20/gIQA6s7a7O_blog.html

The House Judiciary Committee confirmed Tuesday that it will delay continuing debate on the Stop Online Piracy Act until after Congress returns from its winter recess.

Committee spokeswoman Kim Smith said in an e-mailed statement that the hearing is expected to be scheduled for “early next year.”

After two days of heated debate last week, the committee adjourned its markup session on the measure without a vote. The debate over SOPA has been framed as a fight between old media and new media. Organizations such as the Motion Picture Association of America have been backing the bill, while Internet firms such as Reddit have been mobilizing their users against it.

The ruling has been delayed.

Regarding copyright protection we have an interesting case here.

Decades go, an artist made a work.
Meanwhile he did that, it was photographed. By another artist.

The artist doing/performing this original artistic work died, decades ago.

Now, his widow claims the urheberrecht => the copy right of these photos. She argues, since these photos are pictures of the artistic work of her late husband, the copy rights of these photos should be hers, as well as the copy right of the *original* artistic work of her late husband is hers, too.

The cour decision was that she is right. All copy rights of all of these photos showing the original artistic work of her deceased husband are belonging to her. The artist who did these photos was sentenced to hand the photos over to her (as far as I understood it).

Now the second round begins.

If this court decision stays true, than the results will become far-reaching : Then ANY artist will be able to condemn ANY photograph who is taking pictures of artistic works to hand over the copy rights and/or the taken pictures to the artist of the original work - or the widow/widower or any relative left behind.

And "artistic work" can be defined in quite a lot of ways : Not only sculpture (like in this case), but also movies (photos taken from the set), paintings, even architecture … The list can grow.

And this is something that really lets me shudder. Where is the end in that ?

Besides, the artist was Joseph Beuys.

Quoting myself from another forum :

This is a rule I noticed over time : The more "modern" a thing is, and - as a result of being "modern" - the more it challenges conservative values, the more harsh the "defense manoeuvres" (spelling ?) are.

You know. I did a search on this forum for SOPA, yet I couldn't find anything. Which surprised me as this is kinda a big thing. So I am glad at least someone started a thread about it.
but there is one little thing…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhwuXNv8fJM
Totalbiscuit gives us an overview of the Stop Online Piracy Act and the Protect IP Act.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJIuYgIvKsc
The conspiracy.

Sad face. Its completely nuts.

EDIT: Decided to give some back ground for the videos.
You posted TB's video and that guys video? after TB posted this video on how SOPA should not be presented? :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HriNzsp89lM

In any case. I would ask those that are in US to ask their senators? to repel this and PIPA! don't forget that.
As this is Internet censorship at its worst :(

Well White House has given its support against SOPA.
Link

But, more importantly. Today on the 18th is the blackout day.
http://www.blackoutsopa.org/

At least, I know something… I didn't download anything today, so that I can be sure to be against the SOPA.

Speaking of PIPA, it's fine for me, because it's thanks to the hackers and stuff.

I regret clicking on this thread.

PIPA is the same fucking thing. Educate yourself before you post on the internet.

Back
Top Bottom