What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

I have just seen two movies by Matthew Vaughn who also produced Snatch and Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. I saw one movie which he directed and produced, one which he directed. Both scoring 8.0 or higher on IMDB.

X-Men: First Class took me by surprise. This one is by no means comparable to any of the former four. By it's name I had expected an X-Men movie like the earlier ones with a highschool twist. It's not. Instead of being a quickpaced actionmovie about mutants with flashy powers, it's about troubled individuals struggling to get by. It's difficult to pinpoint a main character, but much of the plot regards Charles Xavier (Professor X) and Erik Lehnsherr (Magneto) in how they develop their philosophies on how mutants should live among humans or above them. Kevin Bacon does a really great performance as the nazi doctor who shape Eriks mind after his family is exterminated in the concentration camps. Xavier in turn have his scholarship in genetics and his interest in making people reach their potential. Raven (Mystique) also takes a strong role, her struggle to become accepted despite her blue freakish natural form which she tries to hide. All this is set during the Cold War and much of the movie reminds me about the earlier James Bond. Not in flashy gadgets and a high-society setting, but it's genuine 60'ies feel.

Kick-Ass is about a comicbook fan who decide he wishes to become a comicbook action hero despite having no special powers or reason to do so. While dressed up in a silly costume he tries to stop a gang from beating up a guy and get seriously beaten up himself, but people who see the act records him and upload on youtube so he gets really famous. If I would compare Kick-Ass to three movies I would say Spiderman, Kill Bill and Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (or Snatch). I believe all those are very accurate. The cast is often hilarious, the action is awesome, the cultural references are plenty and it's one really beautiful movie through and through.

I rarely have time to watch movies these days. But I tend to use IMDB's powersearch once in awhile.

Go to www.imdb.com, next to "IMDB" in the top left corner you can click on the word "search" or pick "Advanced Search" in the drop down menu. Now click "Advanced Title Search" and bookmark that page. Or this one; http://www.imdb.com/search/title

I search for;
Title Type: x Feature Film
Year: Usually the latest to years since I do this regulary
User Rating: 8.0 to -
Number of Votes: 5000

Here are 2007-2011:
http://www.imdb.com/search/title?nu...=2007,2011&title_type=feature&user_rating=8.0,

The results you get are the movies worth watching. They are usually a one-movie-a-day affair since you can't take in more in one sitting.

Watched The Fighter last night.

All I can say is "meh". It was nominated for seven Academy Awards last year, including Best Picture, and I can only scratch my head and wonder why.

Saw Horrible Bosses last night.

Bottom line = Fucking hilarious. ..and if you're a guy, it's worth seeing for Jennifer Aniston alone. I have an entirely new view of her after watching this movie. :devilish:

I thought Aniston was in reality horny during the shootings , i didn't like the the movie tho because the plot was kind of silly .

Watched Transformers 2 last night.

Comment: Uuuuh... OK?
Summary: Loud & noisy, or: "3 seconds of quietness"
Rating: 5.5/10

I'd rather watch the Terminator movies or the Stargate series - similar themes, way better execution.

I was watching "Rio Bravo" on DVD this evening. Movie with John Wayne and Dean Martin. Good movie.

I liked the layout [of protagonists]. But I think it's now time for a Western movie with a woman as a Sherriff.

I came to this thought because I'd rather want a woman as a companion (read : deputy sherriff) for the Sherriff as well - the layout consisted of

- a handicapped man
- a drinker
- a youngling

A woman would have been fitting there very well, imho, because there are exclusively odd companions (read : deputy sherriffs) there. These three are not the "normal" deputy sherriffs one would expect. So, a woman as another one would be unexpected as well.

The next step would be a second movie having a female main sherriff as the main protagonist. In a different setting as well.

I think it's time things change, and new ways of movie themes are explored.
This would be a good idea for it, I thought.

Fright Night (remake)

Silly, but surprisingly entertaining and with enough unpredictability to work.

Transformers 3

A lot of noise, few jokes, spectacular fights. It delivered what was promised.

A fire & forget popcorn movie.
C

the Others

Liked it a lot, im really a fan of the "old haunted mansion" movies, tho i kinda saw the "twist" coming a mile away.

We also have resigned ourselves to watching every single episode of Star Trek: Next Gen. On like episode 30ish, we really enjoy the show and both are huge Data fans. He's great! The convos between Data and LaForge always crack us up. I dont like the doctor that replaced Beverly Crusher for a while tho (Dr Pulaski), she's just downright awful. We cant wait til she goes away.

I also have a huge crush on Counselor Troi, god those eyes, that face is just unreal. My friend tried to argue that some "7 of 9" or whatever was hotter than Troi, I have to strongly disagree. I almost kicked him out for that nonsense!
The only sci fi babe that i think comes close to Deanna Troi is Inara from Firefly.

I prefer Claudia Black of Farscape :)

I've been on the prowl for a good Sci-Fi flick set in space... but I think I've already seen them all =(

TNG is the best! Particularly season 6 and 7.

I prefer Claudia Black of Farscape :)

I've been on the prowl for a good Sci-Fi flick set in space… but I think I've already seen them all =(
Claudia Black of Stargate: SG1 was fun, too. ;)

Check out the SciFi thread here on the Watch and be sure to add anything you miss. Every once in a while I'm getting the SciFi itch and then I need to find new or old but unseen movies and series. Every little bit would help.

The Green Lantern
Slightly above average. Big budget superhero flick, a few ironic jabs on the genre, solid acting, fast pace and few annoying scenes.
C+

Thor
Even bigger superhero film. Kenneth Branagh squeezes some interesting character development out of the classic material. Loki is an interesting villin this time. The guy who plays Thor is also convincing. Hopkins does his usual thing as Odin. I enjoyed Stellan Skarsgård as scientist. Natalie Portman and Ray Stevenson were solid but somewhat wasted. I hope Rene Russo got a lot of money to accept her terrible role.
Great f/x, more interesting characters than usual, not much action for the genre, the main story doesn't matter. It's a sympathetic film with a fast pace despite the lack of action.
I found The Green Lantern a bit more entertaining, but Thor offers more substance.
B-

I read the rumor today that there will be a new bigger superheroes movie soon which encompasses all these superheroes …

Good review Gorath, I probably agree with you and I too found GL more entertaining.

Back
Top Bottom