Divinity: Original Sin II - 8 Do's and Don'ts @ The Escapist

I would say SOME handpicked loot, but random loot is a much better system for Divinity games. It is one of your stances I am very much in opposition to. I do not think set drops improve the RPG experience at all, and dramatically decrease the enjoyment of replaying the game.

To each his own.

To me, these games are huge and I don't expect to replay them much. Beyond that, I'll never see everything in a single playthrough - so I'll find new stuff when I play again.

I despise random loot in exploration heavy games, as it feels out of place and tends to be anything but rewarding.

That said, I'd be fine with random loot in some areas, just as long as exploration remains suitably rewarding and handplaced loot is found in the most hidden and interesting places, so you don't spend hours figuring out a puzzle and opening a secret room only to find yet another bland weapon with 2% more durability or whatever.

I definitely dislike random loot, especially when it comes to things you discover in the game world.

The only time I want random loot is in drops from normal enemy encounters.

I'd like prettier female companions. The old crazy gal and the prisoner girl were flat out ugly. I'm shallow like that. I'd also like more variety in the looks of all party members and way more companions from the start.

Also, Sven used to hang out here. Is he too big now? That's never a good idea. It always comes back to bite. He should have a strong presence here and at the Codex. The two sites generated a massive amount of cash for his game.

I'm here, every day. But I'm following so many channels, including our own, that it's hard to reply these days.

I actually liked number 3 : The dialogs. Such an mini-game presented in the form of a dialog was new to me. You expect such a mini-game of this type & style EVERYWHERE - but not as a dialog. ;)

From this perspective, I found it refreshing and new. ;)

I just want 360 degree rotation on the camera; having to frequently spend time readjusting my view because of the camera range limits was an annoyance.

I agree with all suggestions except for #1. I don't want handholding in an RPG.

I wish there was even less hand holding in the next game. It was refreshing to have to figure out things on your own.

Personally I wish there was NO journal.

A few more votes and this suggestion is on page one:

More Role-Playing Options
More role-playing options and skill / stat checks.
Chance to avoid combat with other skills (bribing, smooth-talking, etc.).
More dialog options in general.
More factions. More choices with consequences. Hard choices.

I would say SOME handpicked loot, but random loot is a much better system for Divinity games. It is one of your stances I am very much in opposition to. I do not think set drops improve the RPG experience at all, and dramatically decrease the enjoyment of replaying the game.

I like random loot, but I want it randomized from the start of the game (or at first zone load). Basically I like randomness, but I don't want to see the typical quick-reload until I find something I want (and if I can do it, I won't be able to stop myself).

I'm afraid point 1 is needed. Like it or not, many people (about 40%) didn't even get far enough in the game to get the teleporting stones. Nothing is stopping them from making it an option that can be turned on and off at will, though.

I actually liked number 3 : The dialogs.

For sure! I loved that system. I could roll play my two different characters then the game would decide which one got his/her way. It's one of my favorite parts of the game.

I like their humor, too. (Needs more Beligar!)

P.S. Not POSTING and not READING are two very different things.

I'm afraid point 1 is needed. Like it or not, many people (about 40%) didn't even get far enough in the game to get the teleporting stones. Nothing is stopping them from making it an option that can be turned on and off at will, though.

Well there are a lot of other games those people can play out there like Candy Crush. It was one of the greatest thing I loved about the game. Made me crave it to be even harder.

Just like some of the battles, I can remember in the beginning always carrying as many oil barrels as I could to use them in battle.

Would love it one day if I was to go through some of my old stuff at my parents and find the pages of scrap paper with all my Ultima 3 and 4 notes.

Well there are a lot of other games those people can play out there like Candy Crush.
Or recent Wolfenstein. Pay a fortune for mere 10 hours of run through.

The humor is what sets this series apart. I even liked the rock paper scissors thing and the silly stealth animations. It's a game, supposed to be fun. Not everything needs to be grimdarkgritty.

Inventory and crafting was the weakest part, IMO.

Or recent Wolfenstein. Pay a fortune for mere 10 hours of run through.

You must be getting older Joxer if it took you that long to finish Wolfenstein. I will have to ask my dog which doesn't have opposable thumbs how long it took him. Though if I remember correctly it was under 8 hours. LOL

edit: regarding others posts,
I think the random items with their requirements were awful. I'd much rather find special artifacts with gameplay altering special mechanics than RNG crap. I'd like to be able to start a new game and run through super difficult areas early on to find overpowered weapons without level restrictions.

Also, less humor would be good. Throw in a gag or two - I liked the talking skeletons in divdiv as much as the next guy - but I think this is a case of "less is more" being true.

I love co-op and interaction with the environment and their various magic fields had some fun interactions with each other.

BUT

Last edited:
We live in an age where Dark Fantasy is big. The Next Big Thing. And Dark Fantasy = less humor, or no humour at all.

From this perspective I really like games which have humour in them.

The Real World is bad enough - too much head shaking after reading today's newspaper again - I don't need that super serious stuff in games when I just want to have some fun.

This doesn't mean that a game should not tackle difficuzlt questions. It'd good to educate the player in making up the own mind about difficult things - but that all of the time ? Well, no.

I really doN't want to play a "dark soul" living in an "wave of darkness". There's already far too many games in which you can play that, at least for my own taste.

But maybe I'm in the minority … And listening to a minority might also mean = less sales …
I don't really know …

We live in an age where Dark Fantasy is big. The Next Big Thing. And Dark Fantasy = less humor, or no humour at all.

That's not what I'm seeing at all when it comes to popular movies. Action-comedy is still at the top.

I would have liked to have seen a change in the way that monster difficulty changes with level, so that monsters 3 levels higher then you aren't quite so hard, but also so that monsters 3 levels below you aren't quite so easy.

I would have liked to have seen a change in the way that monster difficulty changes with level, so that monsters 3 levels higher then you aren't quite so hard, but also so that monsters 3 levels below you aren't quite so easy.

I would agree with the levels below you but the ones above a lot of them you were able to kill with a well thought out attack.

It was one of the things I liked most about the game, it might take you two or three times to figure out the right way to attack them but you could beat them.

Last edited:
That's not what I'm seeing at all when it comes to popular movies. Action-comedy is still at the top.

Take the new avengers, if they took out 95% of the dumb one liners they could have got the movie under 700 hour long.

But on the subject line of D:OS the humor is fun and a nice change to 99% of the games out there. Turning into a rock to sneak still makes me laugh, it is so silly.

I think if you don't like the humor in the game but love the game play and puzzles. What or who you should be complaining to is other developers to make their games better.

Yeah I did it several times myself, but it wasn't necessarily fun. An enemy 3 levels above you took dramatically reduced damage from everything you did so the fights could just get really tedious. I'd rather do away with the massive penalties for level differences above a certain amount and just have enemies steadily get tougher.

When I played through I completely missed an area on the 2nd map that was intended to level up my characters. This lead to a long and tedious slog through dungeons and zones 3 and 4 levels over me, which I was eventually beat. But then even worse was going back to the lower level area I missed and having to fight through all a huge number of encounters that couldn't hurt me at all because I was now 3 levels above them.

I would agree with the levels below you but the ones above a lot of them you were able to kill with a well thought out attack.

It was one of the things I liked most about the game, it might take you two or three times to figure out the right way to attack them but you could beat them.

Back
Top Bottom