Next Mass Effect Game - Developed by Former Kingdoms of Amalur Devs

Look, I just don't want another mobrespawn grinder. In fact forget that, I'm not any factor.
Simply said if the gameplay in ME4 is discontinued and KoAdized, I won't buy it and good luck to all who love grinding. And I certainly won't buy it on sales later, I did buy KoA but still didn't care to install it as I can't be arsed to kill billions of same mobs over and over.

You didn't install it? Did you play it?

I didn't. But I know that the enemies re-spawn in the wilderness every 2 days. And this can apparently be a nuisance only if you do a lot of fast-traveling, back and forth. I guess it should be mentioned, that most old-school RPG's used to have massive amounts of random encounters in the wilderness.

Coming from people who have actually played the game: Apparently there is no need for grinding, you can even ignore the majority of the sidequests to complete the game.

...Well, I just checked: You made the same complaints in the RPGwatch review thread for Amalur, without playing the game. And even there members of this forum told you that the game doesn't have noticeable re-spawning, and nobody mentioned need for grinding.

Doesn't have noticable respawning? Riiiiiiiight.
Exit then enter an area and it's fully populated. Not just mobs but everything. Chests included.

joxer, have you even written a post on these forums that didn't include the words "mobs" or "respawn"? ;)

First sad news: ME3
Second: Montreal
and now... lead designer of KoA.

Bioware at its finest xD

Doesn't have noticable respawning? Riiiiiiiight.
Exit then enter an area and it's fully populated. Not just mobs but everything. Chests included.

Well, apparently you haven't played the game.

Due to you complaints, I actually did a fair bit of googling about this. The game has re-spawn periods for generic monsters, of 1-3 days, depending on the area. Some areas have no re-spawn at all. The chests generally do not re-spawn, only about 1/10 do, and they have generic loot.

Boss monsters, quest monsters, and special loot don't re-spawn.

Googling this, the whole re-spawn issue seems to be of interest only to people who want to cheat the game. Which means that they actively look for re-spawns, in order to grind.

The re-spawns seem to be a problem in the game only very rarely, because there are some triggers (Like crossing a bridge) that activate the same monsters attack after a certain period of days. These are design flaws, but big and complex games tend to occasionally have them.

I also learnt that for example Oblivion had a re-spawn period of 3 days. I never even noticed that, because the game didn't invite grinding, unless you were determined that you want to grind.

Look, you may have fun with grinding, I despise it. In some games I actually do find it made good:
1. Mechanics to stop respawning (examples are Drakensang, FarCry3 and The Witcher 2)
2. Specific areas where you have to escape or run through ignoring them instead of grinding (example is Undying and The Witcher 1)

But in KoA, and if that matters in boring Oblivion, there is no mechanics to stop respawns nor you can shutdown some area where mobs appear endlessly after running through them as they constantly appear practically everywhere.

My problem is that I believe endless respawns exist in games where devs had no ideas about addind different and interesting content so to keep you occupied, they just force you to fight 8374568347562352345264372645327 mobs. And IMO, that's a rubbish design. And because of so many games with such crap, I'm still adoring playing classic adventures where you can't find respawns.

Last edited:
I'm no defender of KoA but at least I've played it. The respawns are trash mobs only and you can ignore them for the most part. It's a non factor really. If you are going to trash the game at least try it first. Your grind comments are totally irrelevant here.

Irrational too based on the info tuukka has provided. Very little respawning and no grinding necessary. I hate respawning too, FWIW. But tolerated it for Skyrim. Grinding not needed there either.

Look, you may have fun with grinding, I despise it. In some games I actually do find it made good:
1. Mechanics to stop respawning (examples are Drakensang, FarCry3 and The Witcher 2)
2. Specific areas where you have to escape or run through ignoring them instead of grinding (example is Undying and The Witcher 1)

But in KoA, and if that matters in boring Oblivion, there is no mechanics to stop respawns nor you can shutdown some area where mobs appear endlessly after running through them as they constantly appear practically everywhere.

My problem is that I believe endless respawns exist in games where devs had no ideas about addind different and interesting content so to keep you occupied, they just force you to fight 8374568347562352345264372645327 mobs. And IMO, that's a rubbish design. And because of so many games with such crap, I'm still adoring playing classic adventures where you can't find respawns.

I'm not a fan of grinding. And like i said, there is no need to grind in Amalur. Oblivion was pretty dull in Vanilla, but awesome after adding OOO and some other key mods - One my all-time best gaming experiences.

People who have played Amalur, have said the re-spawns are barely noticeable, and there is no need for grinding.

Regarding classics: Most classic RPG's had re-spawn. It was pretty much the default setting in RPG games throughout the 80's and 90's. Good luck trying to clear the game out of monsters in any of the Ultima's, SSI games like Pool Of Radiance, Westwood titles like Eye Of The Beholder, Baldur's Gate (Part 2 was one of the first open world RPG's to remove respawning), etc. Even closed-environent dungeon-crawlers like Dungeon Master 1 & 2 had heavy re-spawns.

It wasn't really until late 90's and early 00's, that we started getting re-spawn free RPG's. The further you go back in time, the more ridicilous the re-spawns get. Anyone who has played 80's and early 90's RPG's can testament that re-spawned monster encounters were extremely common.

Respawn does not automatically equal grinding. Grinding is repeating content to achieve some goal. Oblivion, Skyrim and KoA don't encourage grinding, they simply have respawns.

Back
Top Bottom