Archmage Rises - On Steam Greenlight

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Archmage Rises has released a new trailer for its Steam greenlight push. The game is described as a fantasy rpg simulation with tabletop leanings.

Aug 4: Playable demo and pre-order
Q1 2017: Release Date

Its an RPG set in a World Simulation

Prepare to immerse yourself in the freedom that you can normally only get out of a tabletop RPG. Empowered with magic, you will create your own story, and experience real consequences from the decisions you make. Will you be the world's savior . . . or its destroyer? The choice is yours.

Key features:

• Explore a true open world teeming with life, choice, and consequence
  • Immerse yourself in a player-driven story that evolves based on your decisions
  • Unleash dangerous spells that can have game-changing consequences
  • Cast magic to overcome obstacles and explore challenging dungeons
  • Procedural world generation featuring in-depth political, economic, and military simulations
  • Experience a never-before-seen religion/spirituality/worship system
More information.

Meh. "Freedom that you can normally only get out of a tabletop RPG" sounds great, but not very believable. We know it uses Procedural Generation. Has that every resulted in anything other than bland generic content?

And it looks like a mobile game. I'm not one to write off a game just because of poor graphics / visuals, and the art looks decent enough… but the total lack of character animations in the battles is rather off-putting.

Also, am I crazy or does the trailer place a couple seconds of Arcanum's title theme before launching into that extremely repetitive and out of place rock song?

I watched the "Gameplay Trailer: Choices" found on their website which for whatever reason gave me a better impression than their Greenlight page / GL trailer.

Reading some of what the developer posted in their discussion forums sounds encouraging. "No grinding"- i.e., you gain exp. and loot from completing quests, not combat...

I dunno, might be good, but due to the mobile vibes it is giving me, I probably wouldn't be inclined to spend more than $5 on it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom