Dhruin

SasqWatch
Here are the Skyrim system requirements, straight from the Bethblog:
Recommended Specs

• Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
  • Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU
  • 4GB System RAM
  • 6GB free HDD space
  • DirectX 9 compatible NVIDIA or AMD ATI video card with 1GB of RAM (Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 or higher; ATI Radeon 4890 or higher).
  • DirectX compatible sound card
  • Internet access for Steam activation
Minimum Specs

• Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
  • Processor: Dual Core 2.0GHz or equivalent processor
  • 2GB System RAM
  • 6GB free HDD Space
  • Direct X 9 compliant video card with 512 MB of RAM
  • DirectX compatible sound card
  • Internet access for Steam activation
Thanks, Jeff!
More information.

Hmmm I expected much higher requisites, especially for recommended specs. I'm a bit skeptical that all will run smoothly at High/Ultra settings...
A good news indeed is just 6 gb of free space, which is nothing for a free-roaming title (The Witcher 2 installation is 16 gb IIRC).

may be we will be getting the same low res textures for the PC too....

Oh come on, my PC won't break a sweat if those {rec}specs are real! That 6GB of space is tiny, and makes me think that all along we have been seeing the PC version through the 360 advertising...doh

Guess I'll end up doing what I did with Oblivion, eventually installing 18GB+ of mods to make it look and play like a proper made-for-PC game!

The minimum specs are similar to the minimum specs for Modern Warfare 3 and both minimum and recommended specs are similar to those given for Battlefield 3; though it does appear that you may need more graphics memory for Skyrim at the minimum. It seems a little ridiculous for people to presume this somehow says anything at all about how the PC version will compare graphically to the console versions for this game.

"The Min specs get you playing," Hines tweeted. "The recommended specs let you play on High, not on Ultra. You'll want beefier rig for that."

Last edited:
Tt seems a little ridiculous for people to presume this somehow says anything at all about how the PC version will compare graphically to the console versions for this game.

I'll go ahead and realistically presume that Bethesda has continued their console-centric design attitude and that any improvements for the PC are either non-existent or tacked on in a halfass manner after the fact.

Bethesda's current crop of games are successful for one reason and one reason only - modability.

I'll go ahead and realistically presume that Bethesda has continued their console-centric design attitude and that any improvements for the PC are either non-existent or tacked on in a halfass manner after the fact.

Bethesda's current crop of games are successful for one reason and one reason only - modability.

Consistent past behavior is a much less ridiculous basis on which to make that prediction than system requirements.

Interesting that 90% of their sales are for consoles then, since those games can't be modded.

Still, 6 gigs of hdd space sounds really small for a 300 hour game.

Last edited:
The graphics are clearly going to be good enough for me, so the only thing I care about is the content.

I'm with you there. Content and the leveling system. Anything close to Oblivion level-scaling will ruin the entire game!!!

Wow, the required specs for the new Sword of the Stars game are higher than the specs for this.

I think "recommended" in this case is probably going to translate to "able to use ho-hum settings with a decent framerate". I think I read somewhere that the game will take advantage of DirectX 11, though I could be confusing that with another game.

Well, there's not all that much need to presume anything when it has been publicly stated months ago by Skyrim's Lead Producer that the consoles are the lead platform for the game ;) .

It seems to me -not just from this thread but generally- that some people have unrealistic expectations. Bethesda games just like BioWare games always follow a pretty formulaic approach so Skyrim is not likely going to be all that much different from Oblivion. It will in fact be the same game with iterative improvements. It is unlikely that anyone who really hated Oblivion's guts is all of a sudden going to fall in love with Skyrim.

As for the install size, I'm sure that there will be lots of texture recycling and generated terrain in Skyrim. There's no way they could fill a world as large as that with unique stuff all over the place. The consoles with their limited memory couldn't handle too much variety anyway.

I would recommend to y'all to cool down and tone those expectations down to the level where ideally you are anticipating a shitty low res console port with samey looking puke soup graphics all over the place. Who knows? You just might end up being positively surprised if you go in with that mindset :) .

Considering how cheaply you can built a decent PC nowadays, its sad that based on that article, so many still flock to the horribly underpowered consoles. You'd think with how many graphics whore threads/posts that are made on all manner of games the net wide, these people would get a PC to fulfill their desires, yet they don't.

And most of the time these same people are complaining how expensive and non-user friendly a PC is. I recall when the PS3 launched, there were hundreds of them being sold for over and close to $1000 dollars on eBay, and a decent PC today that destroys the PS3 would only cost about $600-$700.

Ah well, and as many have already said and thought, the consolization of damn near every great game franchise, especially ones that got started as exclusive PC titles, has become really disappointing! Thankfully there are still a good number of titles and MMOs that are PC exclusive, and most games whether they are designed to be modded or not, are still getting modded and updated by the determined PC community! Or in-the-least get an HD update by the developer sometimes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Oblivion launched, sure the Console and the PC version looked the same, but give it a year or so for the modders to do their thing and its a whole new game. Then one day you decide to replay Oblivion, or a friend that had never played the series is now interested, and wants to play it before Skyrim releases.

Would you want to play the game again on console with NPCs and characters that look like this or a heavily modified version that looked like this on PC!?

Last edited:
I would recommend to y'all to cool down and tone those expectations down to the level where ideally you are anticipating a shitty low res console port with samey looking puke soup graphics all over the place.

Not bad advice - but it's TES, so I'll be getting it day one and am really looking forward to checking it out. If it blows chunks then back on the shelf it goes while our modder friends do their stuff.

6gb does seem a little on the small side...

When Oblivion launched, sure the Console and the PC version looked the same, but give it a year or so for the modders to do their thing and its a whole new game.

Given that (in my experience) texture/nude skin/tweaking mods are far more numerous than deep content mods, it's exactly the same game but with some better textures and re-balancing.

That suggests to me that despite all the wailing and gnashing of teeth, either the base game really isn't as bad as so many people complain - or graphics really are the most important thing.

Is it any surprise everything has gone console. The pc is never advertised to the mainstream as a gaming platform. While xbox and ps commercials are common place. I actually had one lady tell me she didn't know you could actually play games on a pc. Obviously she wasn't a gamer but she does buy the stuff her kids game on.

Being a pc gamer right now is like being stuck playing vhs tapes on your 73" 3d hdtv.

Anyway still looking forward to skyrim and I guess we should just be glad there is a pc release at all.

Back
Top Bottom