Risen - European Release Details

First, don't take this harshly. I enjoy the site and the newsbits, I'm just offering an observation. No worries if you take it or leave it. But this bit really confused me. I had to read this about four times before I finally parsed what you meant. I get it now, and I think you your grammar is accurate, however it is a confusing choice of words. Typically "exclusive" is used to imply a positive, what you are describing is more of a negative. The version for the UK only has English, and they intend for only that version to be available there. The more complete version, available everywhere else, is not for the UK. Kind of like describing amputation as "loosing weight".

I had already modified the newsbit before you posted. It seems the irony of the UK "exclusively" getting less was too subtle. These things happen if you have to summarize and translate infos spread over ca. 5 forum posts.
But the "exclusive" could also have been seen without a deeper meaning, simply as the description of who will get this very version of the game: The UK. I assumed it's clear that in this list first a version is defined and then the territories are listed.

Of course they try. Supply and demand. These shops order in large volume. 50.000 units more or less per shop per year makes a difference for a small or medium publisher.

Where did you get the 10 euro figure, though? That seems really very, very high, even when considering that sort of thing.

So, any word on what we'll be getting in the US? I have no problem with a multilingual import, but seems like PB would want to do some sort of local deal here too.

So, any word on what we'll be getting in the US? I have no problem with a multilingual import, but seems like PB would want to do some sort of local deal here too.

Yeah no mention of U.S. release... any info on this?

Well, I suppose the chances are high that Koch Media Germany will license it to Koch Media US. ;) But it's hard to say what they'll put on the disk.

Last edited:
Where did you get the 10 euro figure, though? That seems really very, very high, even when considering that sort of thing.
Of course I was only guessing. JoWooD claimed they earn clearly more than 20€ after COGs per full price unit. Play.com can sell quite a few PC games for 17,99GPB ( ca. 28€), and that's including international shipping and including their own margin. The COGs are still the same.
Even if it's only 7-8€ it's still a lot.

Reading the bit on WoR about "choosing which version to install" makes me think otherwise, but it would be nice if Risen works as The Witcher does, where the user can mix and match any voice and subtitle set they desire.

Being from the US, and being aware of both Risen's and Gothic's roots, I'd love to play the game with German voiceovers and English subtitles.

That said, reading the recent interview with Andy Walsh, it sounds as though the translated English version of Risen will be nowhere close to 1:1 with the original German text...so perhaps the above would not even be technically possible (at least not easily).

I'm very curious as to what the US release will entail. I'd very much like a US CE, or even an English strategy guide...though I suspect these will remain German only. Preliminary poking about on the internet doesn't even reveal a UK CE of Risen, as usually I import something like that from overseas.

I find it quite sad that US PC collector's editions (with the exception of perhaps Blizzard, BioWare and Bethesda) have waned considerably since the late 90's/early 00's (read: dominance of the PS2 and advent of the 360). I still fondly recall opening new ORIGIN games and feeling as though it were Christmas from the wealth of goodies therein - and they weren't even collector's editions technically!

Even a new, AAA release in the US nowadays will have a 360 CE and a PS3 CE, but said PC release will be bare bones at most (and will probably be released weeks, if not months later).

Tack on digital distribution and the increasing and unfortunate "episodic" trend (IMHO), I fear the worst. I don't want great PC games to become tertiary and disposable - a means to an instant gratification end, the experience trivialized and being forgotten almost as quickly as it is consumed. :(

Last edited:
I don't know anything about polish CE as well, I fear there aren't any plans for it but I won't bother importing it from abroad, I don't care for CE that much anyway.

It sure would be nice if the US version has both the modified English script in English and then had the original German script and voice with English subtitles (of the German script). But I imagine that's pretty unlikely.

I myself wonder: how much time before an english subtitle mod for the German speaking
version pops up...

Actually it would mean a full translation of the German subtitles to English since( as
mentioned in other threads) the script is completely different, so no reusing the English
subs...

tbh I doubt people will jump to it as in NOTR (the reason there was ofcourse the huge
delay for the English version). But this rewriting thing might generate some controversy
that some might attempt it (then again it should be a huge amount of work...)

I'm interested if the rus and pl versions will also contain english speech files.

Polish version is cinematic translation (polish subtitles, english voices), I don't know about Russian though.

Polish version is cinematic translation (polish subtitles, english voices), I don't know about Russian though.

What's the source for this?

What's the source for this?

1. Here's Risen in Cenega's shop, you can see there "Wersja językowa: Polska (napisy) " [Language version: Polish (subtitles)].

2. Ausir which says he's the translator to polish version says in this topic there will be no dubbing but subtitles only with english voice cover (and I don't see reason to not believe him).

3. There someone quotes e-mail he received after complaining to Cenega about Risen being just subtitled, if you wish I can translate their answer but they don't say much except that Risen's translation is cinematic.

Damn, too bad really, I love polish voice acting, my first Gothic experience was polish, The Witcher was also far more immersive with polish voiceacting, exept for the Professor an especially Azar, cuz I know his voice from polish tv :D, that pretty much destroyed his character for me, in the english he and the Professor sound like some really cold bastards.

But enough of off-topic. :]

Back
Top Bottom