The last word

D

DArtagnan

Hey peeps.

Just for kicks, I've thought a bit about "last word" freaks. I'd be lying if I claimed I didn't qualify for that group - and I'll spare everyone the pain of explaining why.

But, I've often wondered why I - and others - GET the last word.

You see, there's a pattern to these "last word" people - and that's that they, you know, get the last word.

Is it because their last words are so profoundly true (mmmmmmm) or is that people just give up trying to explain to the idiot that he's an idiot. I imagine the latter being the case with me VERY often.

What do you think about the "last word"? You don't want it? You avoid it because you don't want to "go on" with a pointless debate? Why do people get it? Is the "last word" the same as "winning" the debate? Is it better to let it stand as a testament to the idiocy of the person getting it?

Well, this is just an attempt to start an amusing debate :)

People that often want to say the last word are people that are generally close minded and stubborn. I dislike people who try to get the last word and I try to avoid them (though I actually try to avoid everyone ;p)

Oh, I thought you were talking about the last words people say before they die!! :)

The last word in an internet forum is generally not worth the effort.

Agreed.

Debates on this forum are relatively thoughtful compared to the majority but even so, getting the last word in for the sake of it is pointless and undignified. My crazy uncle always insisted on 'the last word' and trust me, that way madness lies :)

You probably get the last word because the others are able to walk away from the discussion :)

The last word is sometimes not a word.

Sometimes, it is a facial expression.

Like eyes rolling, for instance.

You probably get the last word because the others are able to walk away from the discussion :)

Very true.

Boring navel-gazing stuff incoming (you've been warned):

I have a very hard time leaving a discussion as long as I feel I'm not being understood, which is something I feel is the case very often when debating online.

Interestingly enough, I don't have that experience in real life - and I think it's because I have some facial expressions (a lot of teasing smiles) and a "tone of voice" that makes my otherwise rude and blatant statements somewhat less offensive. Also, I tend to have more time to speak about nuances - and I have a lot of "human" tools to aid me when making my point. I think that's why I'm rarely perceived as arrogant in real life (it happens, though) - because I always make sure that people understand that I don't think I'm in any way less flawed or hilariously ignorant than we all are.

Most of my arguments boil down to human nature, and a lot of them can be boiled down to "we're selfish and ignorant and that's why this happens" - where "online" people don't always get that I'm including myself, and in real life - I can use my empathy to guage if people get that.

I like to point out things like human stupidity - and that makes me appear superior in attitude and rude from the first words spoken. People dwell on that perception, and I don't really blame them. Sometimes, when I'm lucky, people stand it long enough to listen to the inevitable explanation for my rather extreme opinion - and they see that it's not quite as unreasonable as it might have seemed.

I tend to "go at it" anyway, because I feel the debate is an important tool of understanding - and that I should be able to accept the negative response, as long as I get my opinion out there for people to consider.

Pretty stupid, most likely, because people tend to make it about me - rather than about what I'm saying.

Thing is that I profoundly SUCK at sugarcoating, or "taking the long way around" something. I ALWAYS go for the esssence of what I think is the "truth" from my point of view - and that makes me appear extremely inconsiderate and conceited - even if I might not be so bad when you give me the time.

The short of it is: It's my own fault - but I don't think I can stop being like that. I don't have the patience for the social lubricant and I feel it clouds the essence and ends up meaning nothing at all.

LAST

(I believe the traditional message board approach is to post "first", but this seemed more appropriate, all things considered ;) )

Is there ANYTHING more depressing that pouring your heart and soul into the LAST word, only to have no replies to it, ever?

Secretly, last word guy doesn't want to have the last word. He wants to have the word that enlightens the rest of the group into showering him with praise for his logical acumen.

He wants to have the word that enlightens the rest of the group into showering him with praise for his logical acumen.

This sounds reasonable to me.

"Having the last word" is also a synonyme (spelling ?) of "believing to know/have the right answer".

The result is dogmatism : Believing that one has the answer to the question - and that everything else is just *not* right.

Letting go is the answer.

When I had learned Philosophy at school, I primarily learned NE thing (and this particular thing has become most important for me in discussions) :

There is no "right" or "wrong". Only "different".

If Philosophy has taught me ONE thing, then it is THIS : Everyone is right ! - As long as one can actually *prove* her or his opinion with logical reasoning !

If you don't understand, then try to read the article "Interpretations of quantum physics" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpretation_of_quantum_mechanics - and you will see : here's even no "right" or "wrong" in so-called "exact sciences" ! Because in the field of quantum physics, there is nothing really "exact" !

In Philosophy, things are similar. There's nothing but theories people can agree upon if they believe that the given theory has been founded enough via logic (or via simple empirical records, to whoch often a new theory must be made AFTERWARDS - like for the Quark that no-one had expected to be / to exist).

Trying to have the last word is - fundamentally - the lack of acceptance of other opinions, to cut it short.

LAST

(I believe the traditional message board approach is to post "first", but this seemed more appropriate, all things considered ;) )

:lol:

Is there ANYTHING more depressing that pouring your heart and soul into the LAST word, only to have no replies to it, ever?

Secretly, last word guy doesn't want to have the last word. He wants to have the word that enlightens the rest of the group into showering him with praise for his logical acumen.

Haha, very well said!

I have the last word!!

pibbur who thinks the thread should be closed, now.

Captain Buzzkill said:

Yeah, this. I always feel a little sorry for the person who has the last word. Rather than them being the victor I always think of them as the thread killer.

Hope someone else replies to this :'(

Yeah, this. I always feel a little sorry for the person who has the last word. Rather than them being the victor I always think of them as the thread killer.

Hope someone else replies to this :'(

There the last word is mine.:biggrin:

Sometimes I think about going to the last page on a number of these forums, finding the oldest posts, the ones that are old enough to no longer be relevant, and resurrecting them with a reply that isn't even on topic. For no good reason whatsoever.

I should probably have a hobby that doesn't involve CRPG forums...

I never want to have the last word - at least not as long the actual last words anyone speaks are "yes holeraw you are right" (which I don't get too often… but it's good to keep a positive attitude)

In discussions I like last words that are a summary (résumé) of all things said before.

Back
Top Bottom