Witcher 3 - Preview @ Rock, Paper, Shotgun

Preferred the gameplay and the gameworld in the first game (for PC), rather disliked both in the second. Will not pre-order the 3rd one for sure.

TW3 uses a new engine. REDengine 3
Well to be fair it's the same engine just upgraded.;)

The engine from Witcher 2 was the prototype. As the REDengine was always meant for the third game. It was a good engine in the second game, and I can't wait to see how far it got upgraded.

It's significantly different though as I understand. REDengine 3 is specifically designed for large, open-world environments. Although I guess you could say it's the same engine in the same way that Skyrim used the same engine as Oblivion.

It comes down to how modified does an existing engine have to be before it's considered a new engine.

It's significantly different. REDengine 3 is specifically designed for large, open-world environments. Although I guess you could say it's the same engine in the same way that Skyrim used the same engine as Oblivion.
You got it.;) That's basically what I meant. I posted an article were CD Project said the same thing.

CD Projekt RED’s Balazs Torok and Krzysztof Krzyscin unveiled some new interesting information about RED Engine; the engine powering The Witcher 2 and CDPR’s upcoming RPG, The Witcher 3. According to the developers, this engine was originally meant to be used in The Witcher 3 as the game was planned ahead already, however CDPR decided to take advantage of it with The Witcher 2.

RED Engine was developed to render characters beautifully with support to special shaders, rendering, lighting techniques. The engine also supported multiple appearances per entity, texture skinning with 4 weights per vertex and animated component using Havok animation. Moreover, CDPR used 3 levels of LOD for most of its meshes plus an optional billboard level. Surprisingly enough, with The Witcher 2 CDPR ‘LOD-ed’ not just the meshes but the animations and the mimics too

When the team began working on the X360 version of The Witcher 2, it ended up creating a new version of its engine called RED Engine 2. RED Engine 2 is considered a more optimized version of RED Engine, as CDPR was facing a lot of issues with Microsoft’s console:

Back
Top Bottom