Forums hacked

I don't know how they did it ... I hardly ever use the e-mail address I use for sending news information to here for other correspondence ... Yet I found today in my spam folder of that e-mail address a spam e-mail using exactly this e-mail address.

I wonder where they had it from. Maybe it was "collected" during the hack ?

That's normal, create a new adress... and never use it anywhere, you'll still find spam.

You can just make a brute force sending email loop, sending spam emails to whomever wherever.......

I wonder where they had it from. Maybe it was "collected" during the hack ?

No, the hack did not give access to our mailserver. Besides that, it would only be still on our mailserver if the mail has not been read yet. Information sent to us via the web interface is not stored anywhere else on our server.

Like GG said, it can come from a brute force attempt. Or from using it on a website or whoever you sent a mail to in the past using this account has a virus.

it could also have come from keylogging and they are spoofing the name of RPGWatch from a different IP simply because you emailed the site while the virus was active.

Pretending to be someone else is a pretty common tactic of spam/virusi.

Okay, I see there are several possibilities out there.

Maybe iot was "collcted" from a different site. I use this adress on I think exactly 2 sites, but I think I should change that immediately.

Hmmm, so is this problem fixed yet? I stopped visiting the forum a few weeks ago, because the text appeared all jumbled up on my screen, but I could make out this thread, and got a bit nervous, since hacked sites can sometimes cause problems for you when visiting them..

The forums are much more readable now, but the colours are different, and some text still appears on top of other text up at the page headings. So I was just wondering...

Yes, this was solved the same day on the 23th of July. I don't think we changed anything to the forums that would result in what you are seeing, but maybe Arhu knows.

Thanks, I'll just assume then that it is something to do with my browser settings. :paranoid: :thinking: :movingon:

(I love this site's smilies) :sing:

Back
Top Bottom