What MMORPG should I play?

Any other words about Trollshaws vs. Evendim? It seems there isn't one person who would recommend Trollshaws over Evendim, lol. But that makes Trollshaws even more intriguing.

I'm leaning towards Trollshaws for something different but I'm worried there isn't enough content there to level you all the way to 50. Many people are saying the content is very spread out level wise, with large gaps in between quests. Any thoughts/comments on this? Will I be able to level from 30-50 with the Trollshaws quests alone?

Have you done the Lone Lands? That's on the way to the Trollshaws. Aka Forsaken Inn area including Weathertop. You don't have to do everything but its a good "bridge" region that has plenty of XP. Between that and Trollshaws you are good. There is plenty of XP to be found. Once you are in the Trollshaws when you hit ~48 you'll want to head down to Eregion, the Nan Sirannon area to pick up your Legendary Item quest (Volume 2 Book 1).

Everyone hits Eregion because it is the gate to Moria. There are plenty of quests there. I'm level 51 now and I'm probably going to skip the Eregion quests (except slayer deeds) and head strait into Moria. The moral of the story is… there is ample content. Your path is fine, just don't skip the Lone Lands just to do every last nook and cranny in Trollshaws. If you get bored in Trollshaws, there are quests in Rivendell. If those don't fancy you there is always Misty. Or Eregion itself. Just make sure you enter Moria before you hit ~54 or the starting area may be too easy. It levels up to 60 though, so again.. .its a rule of thumb!

Don't over analyze it man. Enjoy the game! Don't forget your deeds, your class quests, your crafting quests and of course the books!

I truly think it was a different set of developers that worked on the original Shadows of Angmar; later content is just so very different, but that's speculation.
Very possible. Over in DDO, we can see a big variation in quality between adventure packs. Some are creative, varied, and even tremendously funny. Other packs are linear slogs with no real sense of direction and just enough story to call the quests a chain. Since the content is all "placed by hand" by the developer, the number of bugs and map problems seems to track with the "artistic quality" as well.

Thanks for the help Todd. Just want to make sure I don't do anything stupid with my limited Turbine points :D.

The Old Forest is creepy. They play this threatening music and you're getting attacked by giant trees. I like the atmosphere.

The Barrow-Downs is cool, too.

Last edited:
Atmosphere is a hallmark of lotro. Just wait until you hit the northern Trollshaws... Wait until you hear it I should say!

Oh. My. GOD!!! I just did the Othrongroth instance. Wow. Talk about atmosphere! That was freakin' awesome!!!

This game is crazy. Tom Bombadil is awesome, haha.

Just got lost for the past hour in the Old Forest. Dang that place is hard to navigate!

Last edited:
Just got accidentally transported to Rivendell (thanks, Gandalf), and wow is that place beautiful. Just a joy to see (and hear, the music was awesome, too), really. I can't wait to further explore that place.

Sadly, the reason I was transported to Rivendell turned out to be for naught, because the quest instances need the Rohan expansion in order to do them. I'll get the expansion later on, but I definitely want to check out those instances because they all sounded interesting. One was climbing some mountain peak to retrieve an eagle egg stolen by stone giants. The other was in Goblin Town and one in Mirkwood. They sounded pretty interesting...

Again, I used the full screen map, but it didn't seem to show me much. What looked like open passages ended up being dead ends, and what looked like dead ends were open passages, and I generally went around in circles because the map just wasn't helping me. Maybe I'm using it wrong, but that was my experience with it.

Just ran up to the North Downs for the Tailor's Guild. Some nice scenery up there, too. Finishing up some stuff in Bree and then on my way to the Lone-Lands.

What's your guys' favorite zone in the game?

Favorite zone for exploration? Probably Evendim - maybe Misty Mountains.
Favorite awestruck moment? Walking to Rivendell for the first time.

Last edited:
Nice. Rivendell is gorgeous. Sadly, a quest teleported me there without warning me much, so I didn't get to walk to it, but just exploring the city a little bit was fantastic. Can't wait till I can actually start questing there.

Evendim, the Shire and Ered Luin in that order. Eregion and Misty are both notable, as is Forochel which i think many skip. Angmar is dark and atmospheric and has really good quests and can be pretty challenging. The Lone Lands is really good too. it's a hard question!

Oh and notable moment: entering the Trollshaws for the first time and hearing that great regional score and seeing the fall setting. really grabbed me. Then a deer killed me.

Haha! Yeah, the music of the Trollshaws was outstanding. Loved seeing those giant mountains behind Rivendell too. The fall setting was nice, too.

Heading to Lone Lands after I finish a few more quests in Bree. I seem to be a completionist and I try to do everything even if I'm far over level. How do you guys keep that quest que manageable?

I'm always knocking on the quest cap but I never complete everything because of what it will do to your leveling. I tend to backtrack to regions to do deeds once they grey out to avoid being too powerful for my next planned area. Things change slightly when you get your Legendary Items because you want those to level. It's a tough balancing act. I just hit 52 which is perfect for starting Moria but its hard to keep the XP down when deeding, leveling all 3 of my Legendaries and finishing my books (pages). Tonight is my last hurrah under the sun for quite a while, so I need everything reforged and ready for the darkness. I'm going to wipe my quest log down to 30 max, probably dumping all my Fellowship quests in queue for all regions, and any solo's 5 less than my level.

I was hoping to hit 10's for my equipped virtues but I'll have to settle for 8's or I'm going to hit 53 in Eregion. My sword hit 40dps last night and I took out a 15K morale sig boss with 2.5k morale to spare so I'm ready to move on…

But... My tactical is still a bit weak so fire breathers like Drakes are still a real threat. I'm hoping my dwarven title bonus on my LI sword (ancient dwarf damage vs. dragon-kind) gives me the edge...

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't want to be too powerful for new areas either, but I'm already level 25 and I was supposed to head to the Lone Lands 6 levels ago. Even riding around the North Downs I was over leveled there, until I got near the middle of the map, those enemies were level 29. It definitely seems like a tricky process. On one hand I don't want to miss the content and the lore and all that, but I don't want to be overleveled everywhere I go. I'll probably start deleting some of the quests far beneath my level. And I'm probably not going to do all of Lone Lands either before going to Trollshaws.

Does Lone Lands have a ton of content? What level do you think I'll hit if I do all of it starting at level 25?

Anyway, back to Middle Earth I go! Fantastic game.

Edit - I just read that the Old Forest used to be much harder than what it is now. The trees used to actually move and the map would change. Wow! That's insane, haha. I had enough trouble navigating with a static map, if the map changed I'd probably still be stuck in that place!

I don't recall that about The Old Forest. Everything was where I remembered it as of 2006/07 anyway. The Lone Lands is pretty big, but I'd skip content unless it at least matches your level. Have you done the books?

Back
Top Bottom