Fable Legends - About F2P and Microtransactions

Gorath

Prime Evil
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
MCV UK got new infos about F2P and microtransactions in Fable:Legends from Lionhead Studios.

Lionhead’s David Eckelberry, the game director, was quick to clarify:

“In terms of the core game loop, there’s nothing that that free-to-play has affected. There’s no I’m losing, I want to buy a magic potion or a health potion to improve my odds. You can get all of our content and there’s no pay walls or energy meters – you can play as much as you want without any kind of gated areas. We don’t allow the business side to affect the game that’s happening in the middle.”

Product Manager Ian Griffiths added:

“We don’t allow the business model to define the game. You can’t purchase anything mid-gameplay. There’s no way you’d be able to get an advantage. We utterly reject any notion of pay-to-win.”
More information.

While usually I wouldn't care, it's good to see a developer making a completely different statement about something that was usually explained like this:

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/...ium-games-i-dont-think-anybody-has-to-like-it
On the heels of the Advertising Standards Authority's ruling concerning Electronic Arts' "misleading" advertising for their mobile game Dungeon Keeper, EA executive Peter Moore has come out with some bad news for gamers who are put off by the company's usage of the "freemium" model. Speaking with Games Industry, Moore said, "I don't think anybody has to like it. I think that's where it goes. It's like me: I get grumpy about some things, but if the river of progress is flowing and I'm trying to paddle my canoe in the opposite direction, then eventually I'm just going to lose out."

Unlike EA's COO, FL developer obviously understands microtransactions are not supposed to be about having to like something. Games are supposed to be fun, not scam.
I still won't buy the new Fable MMO, but I do hope many developers will go FL way.

This is a case of Lucy and the football. All there is to wonder is how many times the gaming public will allow Lucy to pull the football away at the last second.

Is Lucy the new hurricane? :)

Microtransactions are a part of this game? Sounds less and less like a Fable game.

It's not really a Fable game. The game fall into the same category as Evolve "4 vs 1" co-op gameplay with one player playing the "evil dungeon master" and 4 players being on a quest to stop him.

Back
Top Bottom