UGO (Underground Online) - Worst Video Game Sequels

magerette

Hedgewitch
Since this is a light news day, UGO's cross-platform list of the Worst Video Game sequels --presumably ever--might be worth a look. Most of the games are far outside the RPG arena, but there is a mention of KotOR II:
KOTOR II ultimately failed most as a compelling, fan-servicing narrative. Believed by many to be released as an incomplete product following a rushed development period (a fact which is supported by evidence of missing content within the game's files), KOTOR II's story is full of holes (and more than a few gameplay bugs).
More information.

Hm, KOTOR II tops the list, but no mention of Deus Ex 2: IW. Oh well, games journalism...

Yes, I imagine if this list was a little more PC oriented that title, along with a few others ( like MIght & Magic 9), would definitely be there.

Deus Ex 2 was the first title that came to my mind when I read the headline and it's not mentioned? Mm.. either the author simply never played it or it was so bad it's been suppressed from their memory. ;)

Lands of Lore 2 tops my list. I enjoyed Lands of Lore I so much and then after many years when they released 2 I was I guess too hyped up and the disappointment was huge. Gothic 3 and Ultima 9 are on my list somewhere as is Might & Magic 9. KotOR 2 is not on my list, it was definitely worse than 1 (almost everything is worse than the great KotOR 1) but still enjoyable to me.

Total Annihilation: Kingdoms as well as Ultima 8 could be mentioned. I think TA:K wasn't really that bad though its just that it just lacked comapred to what TA fans were expecting; starting with yet another fantasy setting.

Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter is officially an expansion pack so that wouldn't count. What about Lode Runner 2? 3D just doesn't make the Lode Runner franchise. Might and Magic IX is still the only game I've ever returned (because I could). I heard 8 wasn't so great either.

Funny about Super Mario 2 though. A lot of kids today don't know Mario started off in Donkey Kong and they don't know that he had the hots for Peaches before he met this gross mushroom cross species thing. Here Peaches is elevated to being a Princess. Perhaps they were trying to merge the two characters.

WTH? Kotor II as one of the worst sequels? Really, some journalists, when they dont know what to write, wring something like a top 10 whatever out of their sleves, and the result is poor and uninteresting. Why anyone should be insterested in purely subjective and personal Top 10 lists is beyond me. I found Kotor 2 a great game. Sure, the end was lame, but it didnt mean the rest is all bad. I thought it was quite fun, and Kreia was one of the most memorable game characters I have seen. But thats all personal opinion, as such top 10s. It would fit in a personal blog but in an online mag is totally pointless.

On MY top 10 there would DEFINITELY be Ultima 8 and 9, especially since I was such a great Ultima fan. Or Might and Magic 9.

I prefer our selections. M&M 9 for example, is FAR worse than K2. How about a list of games where the sequel was BETTER than the original!!

Sequels that are better

Not all will agree, but I'd put Baldur's Gate 2 on the list of sequels that are better than the original. For the main campaign, I'd also put NWN2 on the list.

I think that DX:IW, whether or not you call it one of the worst games ever (I do) was certainly one of the worst sequels.

Also what about Red Faction 2?

Not all will agree, but I'd put Baldur's Gate 2 on the list of sequels that are better than the original. For the main campaign, I'd also put NWN2 on the list.

I'll second that. I enjoyed both of those games more than the originals.

Thought of another for the other list: Master of Orion 3--**shudder**

This list WILL be getting longer: just wait for Fallout 3 and Oblivion 2 :)

Non RPGs where the sequel is better (of course in my opinion): Galactic Civilization 2, I did like Civilization 4 more than the other Civ games, Medieval and Rome Total War are better than Shogun, Tie Fighter was better than X-Wing, UT2004 better than UT2003, I prefer Freespace 2 over Freespace 1 at any time.
And those are only the games I could remember almost instantly.

How about a list of games where the sequel was BETTER than the original!!

That's an easy one:

Abandoned Places 2 - Not radically different, but drastically improved. Shame it never was ported to DOS.

Ambermoon - (sequel to Amberstar) Better grafics, better GUI, better story. Shame the DOS port never was released.

Weired Wars - (sequel to Another War) still not great, but vastly improved

Ancient Evil - (sequel to Trial by Magic) better grafics and streamlined GUI

Baldur's Gate 2 - as mentioned before

Bard's Tale 3 - best of the series (the PC version sucked, though)

Daggerfall - (sequel to Arena) bigger, better, more bug free

Demon's Winter - (sequel to Shard of Spring) better story, better quests

Diablo 2 - even if not as much better as most people say, it very much more diversive

Dungeon Siege 2 - now comes including a GAME!

Eye of the Beholder 2 - better GUI, better grafics and END SEQUENCE!!!

Ishar 3 - I think it sucks, but is considered the best game of the Arborea saga

Megatraveller 2 - less complicated, less ugly

Might & Magic V - peak of the old series

Might & Magic VII - peak of the new series

Phantasie III - even improved over pt. 2 that never surfaced for the PC

Rage of Mages 2 - nearly idential, but more diversive.

Questron 2 - does it count, if the prequel was not released on PC?

Pools of Darkness - not better than Pool of Radiance, but better than the rest of the series

System Shock 2 - very different from pt. 1, but considered to be superior

Ultima 7 - tops everything from the first to trilogies

Windwalker - (sequel to Moebius) a little bit more polish

Wizardry 7 - speaks for itself

I am unsure about Wiz8 and the Realms of Arkanias.

I don't agree with System Shock 2 and Ultima 7. Their prequels weren't worse. I'd add "Thief 2" to the list, but that's my personal taste.

Total Annihilation: Kingdoms as well as Ultima 8 could be mentioned. I think TA:K wasn't really that bad though its just that it just lacked comapred to what TA fans were expecting; starting with yet another fantasy setting.

Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter is officially an expansion pack so that wouldn't count.

I thought Kingdoms was great. I really enjoyed it and played it multiple times.
I loved the Heart of Winter expansion, and for a free expansion just because people complained IWD wasn't long enough, I was very, very impressed.

I think that DX:IW, whether or not you call it one of the worst games ever (I do) was certainly one of the worst sequels.

Oh, come on. DX:IW was a perfectly decent shooter with pretty decent level design, pretty decent character customization, a pretty decent plot, pretty decent graphics, no game-killing bugs, and few serious bugs. It's not even the most serious case of consolitis out there -- consider the port of Resident Evil 4 that doesn't even have *mouse control,* ferchrissake.

DX:IW sucked simply because it did not come close to living up to the expectations created by DX. If we call it one of the worst games ever, then what do we call the real turds?

Oh, come on. DX:IW was a perfectly decent shooter with pretty decent level design, pretty decent character customization, a pretty decent plot, pretty decent graphics, no game-killing bugs, and few serious bugs.

I just can't agree - IMHO, the shooter part was lame, the level design too small for being believable, the character customization nearly non-existent, the plot a joke and the graphics, well, a least the characters always looked totally bland.
Invisible War is a bad game and a horrible sequel of Deus Ex.

That's an easy one:

Abandoned Places 2 - Not radically different, but drastically improved. Shame it never was ported to DOS.

Ambermoon - (sequel to Amberstar) Better grafics, better GUI, better story. Shame the DOS port never was released.

Weired Wars - (sequel to Another War) still not great, but vastly improved

Ancient Evil - (sequel to Trial by Magic) better grafics and streamlined GUI

Baldur's Gate 2 - as mentioned before

Bard's Tale 3 - best of the series (the PC version sucked, though)

Daggerfall - (sequel to Arena) bigger, better, more bug free

Demon's Winter - (sequel to Shard of Spring) better story, better quests

Diablo 2 - even if not as much better as most people say, it very much more diversive

Dungeon Siege 2 - now comes including a GAME!

Eye of the Beholder 2 - better GUI, better grafics and END SEQUENCE!!!

Ishar 3 - I think it sucks, but is considered the best game of the Arborea saga

Megatraveller 2 - less complicated, less ugly

Might & Magic V - peak of the old series

Might & Magic VII - peak of the new series

Phantasie III - even improved over pt. 2 that never surfaced for the PC

Rage of Mages 2 - nearly idential, but more diversive.

Questron 2 - does it count, if the prequel was not released on PC?

Pools of Darkness - not better than Pool of Radiance, but better than the rest of the series

System Shock 2 - very different from pt. 1, but considered to be superior

Ultima 7 - tops everything from the first to trilogies

Windwalker - (sequel to Moebius) a little bit more polish

Wizardry 7 - speaks for itself

I am unsure about Wiz8 and the Realms of Arkanias.

Oh YES, I SO agree with that! ^^

We really should more focus on the positive than do so much "bashing top tens".

Back
Top Bottom