Piracy

The example you quoted is ridiculous I'm surprised you don't quote the non sense it is. So pirate to make stuff sell better… :roll: Ask yourself just one second why it could work… because some people won't pirate the stuff. There's no morale stuff only very basic logic.

The example is also entirely true. Yes, people still buy games despite piracy. And? What are you showing with this?

But I quote you didn't answer my question, I'm not surprised at all.

You asked me why I was an idiot.

The example is also entirely true. Yes, people still buy games despite piracy. And? What are you showing with this?
Ok so anybody pirate to make games sell better, so no buy no sell, why don't you push it further? The example could be true but push it as an argument for piracy makes no sense. You need develop the non sense it involves, not buy involves more buy. Who buy and who not buy, and so on.

You asked me why I was an idiot.
Lol, not really I didn't bet you bought games. I'm surprise you buy any with all the "good" arguments you have for piracy.

Ok so anybody pirate to make games sell better, so no buy no sell, why don't you push it further? The example could be true but push it as an argument for piracy makes no sense. You need develop the non sense it involves, not buy involves more buy. Who buy and who not buy, and so on.
Again, I have not argued that piracy is good, I have pointed out that the relationship between piracy and units sold is more complicated than people think, and that there is no basis for assuming that preventing piracy will lead to an increase in sales, and that there is evidence that piracy leads to increases in some areas.

Lol, not really I didn't bet you bought games. I'm surprise you buy any with all the "good" arguments you have for piracy.
um, really :S
So what answer were you expecting?
You seems quite a fanatic supporter of piracy, I wonder how many games, music, books you bought during 2009 and why you have been the idiot who bought them when you could have them easily and with your full morale agreement to get them for free?

You made no links between piracy and sell, your example show nothing:
  • You don't have any number about the pirating of the ebook.
  • You have no idea of what generate suddenly more sells of the book, could be some buzz in some standard media.
  • The link with any piracy is still to be shown.

That remind me a study made in music, it shows that the more an album was sold the more it was pirated. The conclusion would be that more piracy involves more sells. It's clearly ridiculous because there's no evidence that one is the consequence of the other. The highest probability is more that both numbers had the same source, better known stuff with more publicity, better quality for large public, and so on, all of that generate more sells and more piracy, that's all.

About the idiot thing it was for a supposed pirate thinking it's not a problem to pirate something. In this point of view of this supposed pirate, if you can get for free something and instead pay for it, it's an idiot behavior. So if you have good reason to buy stuff you could pirate, then don't feel aimed. Clearly you buy plenty games and music so this part of the post doesn't target you. And ok that's fine if you don't want list reasons making you buy stuff you could pirate, nothing important obviously.

You made no links between piracy and sell, your example show nothing:
  • You don't have any number about the pirating of the ebook.
  • You have no idea of what generate suddenly more sells of the book, could be some buzz in some standard media.
  • The link with any piracy is still to be shown.

That remind me a study made in music, it shows that the more an album was sold the more it was pirated. The conclusion would be that more piracy involves more sells. It's clearly ridiculous because there's no evidence that one is the consequence of the other. The highest probability is more that both numbers had the same source, better known stuff with more publicity, better quality for large public, and so on, all of that generate more sells and more piracy, that's all.
The study you mentioned was a correlational study, and yes, those have problems with directionality and third variables being unaccounted for. However, what I mentioned was much closer to an experimental study. In an experimental study you vary 1 variable and see how the dependent variable changes. Doing this allows you to find support for causation. He changed one variable (available online for free) and observed a dramatic change in his dependent variable (units sold).

This was not in a lab however, so there may have been confounds. But you need to supply evidence of them, you cant just say "maybe xyz..." and dismiss something.
About the idiot thing it was for a supposed pirate thinking it's not a problem to pirate something. In this point of view of this supposed pirate, if you can get for free something and instead pay for it, it's an idiot behavior. So if you have good reason to buy stuff you could pirate, then don't feel aimed. Clearly you buy plenty games and music so this part of the post doesn't target you. And ok that's fine if you don't want list reasons making you buy stuff you could pirate, nothing important obviously.
This is an argument unrelated to anything that has been discussed before

I'm sorry for asking, but are you typing this in another language and using babelfish to translate it?

Back
Top Bottom