The Totally NEW Team Corwin Thread

The cyclone was considerably north of where I live, but has caused major damage not only to towns, but also to food producing farms. For example up to 60% of the country's bannana crop has been destroyed. Thanks though for your concern. My State has had a VERY rough few weeks.

That's good that you've made it through, though it sucks that y'all've had so much damage. I was wondering if you'd even make it to friday's session, the way things are going out your way.

On that note, we're getting hammered at work, storm damage orders. So I may be a bit late Friday, or may even not make it at all, depending on what drops by then. Right now we're on track to knock out the last of our orders today, but that don't mean we won't get new ones. So if I'm not on at game time, don't wait up.

I made a discovery, though it's a bit late for most of us.

Anger's Wrath, the set from Korthos which gives a +2 bonus to-hit, has an untyped bonus. Which means it stacks with items such as Spectral Gloves and the Wrath of Sora Kell set.

I got frustrated with the lack of Spectrals after farming OoB until I wasn't getting any loot in the chests. So I decided to grab the Anger's Step boots, and use the trinket from the Chronoscope Raid that covers the necklace part of the Korthos Island sets. I read something about it possibly being stacking bonus, so I swapped in my Sora Kell set again, and sure enough, it does.

This does mean I'm down 20hp on my FvS, and I lost the 10% blur from the Dusk Heart and my Striding boots, but I also hit more often, and harder, as I get a total of +5/+2 from different items. I also get Greater Potency VI, so my Blade Barriers and cure spells will be landing with greater force. Considering I typically could hit on a 2 with PA off, and just the Goggles of Insight and no buffs in Gh, this means I should be able to leave PA on for most critters, even unbuffed. If I can get a SoS, it'll be absolutely devastating. I also lost my standing Magi bonus of 200sp, so I'm back down to about 1200 normally. Since I usually burn that much buffing, it's no real big loss.

This also means that Devil Assault has finally paid for itself. :p Only took nearly a year.

I'm about ready to scream. They screwed up my internet again a few days ago. Got it fixed...again...supposedly for good this time (they deleted my account and then put it back in). All is good yes? So, I fire up the rig to test my glorious new service and...nothing. The power comes on, the fans fire up, but no boot. It's like the BIOS just disappeared. Without a second PC in the house, it's hard to really do much diagnosing.

Would dearly love to throw in the towel and buy a new rig (my Dell was towards the front of the curve when I bought it, but that's almost 4 years ago, although I haven't had a single performance problem with the stuff I play), but I'm painfully light in the pocketbook right at the moment so that's not going to happen. Which means it's back to the shop and see if they can cast a cure critical on the old girl. I'm going to give it one last push tonight to see if I can figure the problem out on my own, but I'm not terribly optimistic.

Which means...highly likely I'm CDQ (cold, dark, and quiet) for tomorrow's session and many days to follow. :(

Well that sucks....If you find out something sent a power surge to your rig you can pitch a fit with your provider and claim all the on and off stuff they did caused something to burn out. ;) ( I know it is not possible unless they were actually messing with wires at the house, but it would be a way to vent your frustrations.)

To the shop it goes... I'm making liberal use of what one English teacher, after hearing it in person, dubbed the greatest speech ever uttered, covering every part of speech in a unique way: (rather reminds me of our recent guild message, actually)
Fuck! The fucking fuck in the fucking fucker won't fucking fuck!

I think he vented very well! :)

The urban legend is that a guy was having trouble with the engine in his pickup and got a bit frustrated. A passing teacher heard his rant and wrote it down, eventually breaking it down to note that you've got the same word as a noun, verb, adjective, adverb, exclamation, and direct object all in one simple expression of irritation. You just don't get that sort of flexibility and utility out of many words in the English language.

WTF!! :) Hope you can make it today mate.

Took the old girl in Friday, gonna be lucky if it's back by next Friday. Gonna get a lot of reading done, I suppose. :(

Well hopefully it is nothing major and they can do a fast and cheap fix for you. We checked out Reavers Refuge just to look at it and then did some farming is all. We need you to come help kill a few thugs. ;) :fingerscrossed: you get it back by Friday.

Actually, I thought RR checked out us!! :)

Shhhhhhh.................you don't have to tell him that............make him think it was easy......we need him to want to hurry back you know. :cm:

Although I'm still scraping the bottom of the level, I should be high enough to keep us out of trouble, yes? Sitting at level 17, there won't be any penalties for the party until somebody pushes all their options to level 20, and by that time I should have managed to push Phuury up to 18.

I solo'd him around GH enough to pick up the level prior to our session 2 weeks ago. He still can pick up quite a few slayers in GH, Necro4, and the Vale, although the explorers and rares are pretty well tapped out. Once I get the rig back, I'll probably try and work on that some.

It's kind of interesting to think about the ebb and flow of my various toons. I ran Phuury almost exclusively for a couple weeks to get his level 17, and then started working Shadohe quite a bit, which was her first action since knocking thru Lordsmarch and Sentinels with cm and jm. Took her into the desert at level 10 to begin her bloodstone runs and that turned out to be a bad idea. She held up OK, but the level 10 cleric hireling is pretty well worthless. Prior to the rig crash, I was hunting down quests she could run for favor. After running the heck out of Wouldii for many weeks, he's been largely idle for a while now. He's running out of stuff to solo (light armor plus only moderately good dps makes for a rough go in the higher level stuff he has to run now), which is probably the cause of that shift. I gave Bot a little exercise a while back, but he remains largely a wasted slot. It just seems a little strange how the pattern ends up somewhere between "play 'em all" and "focus on 1 toon".

It's just a matter of time available to play, vs what you feel like playing. You are not fond of casting, so your one spell caster gets left to rot. Quite frankly, as long as you don't have anything really invested in it, I'd say you can dump it if you want to try something else you might find fun. The only caster builds I can see you with are something like the Soul Survivor (Warforged Favored Soul Melee build), Half-Elven Avenger (Mirys, basically), or maybe a melee Cleric built around Radiant Servant. Maybe Tukaw (Sorc 12, Rogue 2, Paladin 6), but that's one that may be a bit beyond any of our ability to set up right now.

I'm actually considering the Soul Survivor for Rachail's TR, since the extra healing amp from the pally past life helps counter one major WF weakness, and I can get some gear built up to help with that later. It depends on who does what, I intend to fill in a blank slot, basically.

I've tended to run Mirys solo lately, because she basically can fill both Aerii and Rachail's roles at the same time. Whereas Rachail is basically pure melee, and I'm not as fond of that playstyle as others. I cleared the Vale explorers with Mirys far faster and easier than I could have begun to with Rachail. Despite being 3 levels down (and two below level for the area).

One of my main points with Aerii is she cannot do anything in areas where critters have high spell resistance; I burn too many sp and can't heal as effectively. As an elf, I had to put more effort to get a viable CON, so she can't melee effectively even when buffed. She turns into a heal bot, basically, and not a Cleric. Mirys has more hitpoints at 15 than Aerii does at 18. And she isn't wearing a Minos due to using the Wrath set. She'd be close to Rachail otherwise.

Murii gets run occasionally, but since thats more for helping out Corwin's lower levels, I really can't do much.

Hey, I resemble that remark!! :) I do need to run my lowbies more, though I'd really like to see our regular sessions alternate between the highs and lows for variety. There's a ton of lower level quests I have yet to do with any character.

One of these days, I'm going to have to read up on this TR stuff y'all are so excited about and see what it's all about.

I still think a big part of my problem remains trying to play this game with a single player mentality. Each toon has developed into a rather specific niche, but also doesn't perform terribly well outside of that niche.

Phuury- dps is a wonderful thing, but he takes too much damage to solo effectively (stupid hirelings…) and does much better with buffs that a party can supply than without (like most toons); he fills a role with the Friday session, but can't do much outside of that

Wouldii- built to be a solo machine (melee with some self-buff and self-heal) and has done fairly well until recently when he's gotten double whammy'd by somewhat inadequate dps for crowds and all the worthwhile available quests being raids or party-mandatory; my favorite character, but he's hit a bit of a wall within his niche and it's frustrating me

Shadohe- basically a heavy armor version of Phuury using different pointy sticks, so suffers the same issues (stupid hirelings…); with Peter and jm getting their entire rosters into the high teens, appropriate Watch pickup sessions can be a little hard to find for a lvl 11

Bot- the ultimate party-centric toon, he's pretty well worthless outside of that role. Sure he could solo, but what's the point of a super-dee-duper radiant servant aura when there's nobody to heal? Unfortunately, the regulars from the Watch don't have lvl6-7 toons on their rosters anymore, so Bot's got nowhere to go. Compound that with him being a "stretch of my usual style" and he just doesn't get any love.

While I'm not completely averse to PUGs like Corwin, I'm far less than excited about them as well. I've got some…ummm… bad habits that y'all are willing to put up with that a PUG of strangers might not be so understanding about. I could PUG all day with Bot, I have no doubt, but right now my inexperience with casting makes me a crappy cleric and that won't go over well with strangers, me thinks.

So that's my whine. Well, not really a whine so much as a methodical resignation to the way things are, but still.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom