Drakensang:RoT Is it really that bad ?

Personally I find the VO talent to be acceptable, if not good, (US version).

On another note, is it me, or are the graphics slightly better?

All in all, I'm certainly liking this expansion.

Now, if I could just find my way through this god forsaken elf dungeon spirit freeing stone-finding crazy haired magician's test thing ... time for a break and then I'll try some more. ;)

This "elf dungeon" has NOTHING to do with the Elves !

It was a high-tier scientific researchacademy - of magical science - and that several hundreds years before the game takes place … It was founded about 500-600 years BEFORE Bosparan's Fall … More info on it can be found in the background book entitled "The Father Of The Floods"

You're right Alrik Fassbauer and thanks for the interesting links.

btw ... this still has not eased the pain of solving this mad man's intentional testing of my character's sanity, (not to mention mine).

I would love to find a walk through for this "Dungeon that just happens to be located on the elf island", (as a wise poster has so graciously pointed out). :D

I don't believe this is an island. I'm quite sure this must be an interpretation error.
To me, it's rather at the river's shore, but very well hidden.

You can find info on it in the Drakensang wiki. But - on the other hand almost everything there can be learned through your deeds. There isn't much sense from my perspective for a walkthrough there. Everything is imho clear and well laid out.

And - I don't know whom you meran with "mad man". Do you mean this druid, Archon Megalon ?

He one of the most well-known and feared figures in contemporary aventurian history. He is not really "evil" in the "good vs. bad" sense, but a very grey - ark-grey - character. He is indeed sane - but he also sees in his subjects nothing but interesting tools for his experiments.

As I wrote I think in the TDE Lore thread before (do I always have to repeat myself several times ?) in a side-story of the adventure he kidnapped a female elf from that elf clan you already know from the game around the time the game takes place - and tortures her for his experiments - thus destroying her iama , I think. Since then, she is torn by sadness an pain, and the elven comminty decides to throw her out, because her sadness is a danger for the community's salasandra, making the elves more and more badoc.

And - listen to ALL elves - they explain where elves came from and who they are.

To make it short : They were once Light (like the Fairies, too), and had been dreaming themselves into reality. Badoc is the curse of the manifestation of everything materialistic (and thus soo human ) , which is something they want to avoid at all costs.

Alrik,

Again, thanks for responding.

I believe your comments could easily be mistaken for admonishments especially when taking into consideration your use of capitalization and italics, they have certainly struck an accord with me an have prompted my following response.

Please keep in mind that many of us play these games for entertainment reasons and have not invested the time, or the effort to learn the dogma that accompanies the story.

I do agree with you that this back story certainly enhances the game and adds to the immersion of the player into the fantasy world created by the authors of this game.

In response to the mad man query, I do find his nature to be evil.
It's my opinion that anyone who equates the value of intelligent life with that of a lab rat is evil.

I do understand that Drakensang is a well established and documented game system with rules and lore comparable to even Dungeons and Dragons, but in a single player campaign the interpretation of these rules and lore rests solely on the player.

I believe without the freedom of imagination and the ability to impose my own judgments on whom I perceive to be good or evil, this wonderful game would lose most of it's appeal.

In summation;

I merely expressed my opinion in what I mistook for a friendly conversation and requested assistance with a part of the game I was finding frustrating.

In response to the mad man query, I do find his nature to be evil.
It's my opinion that anyone who equates the value of intelligent life with that of a lab rat is evil.

I agree. To me, he is kind of evil, too, but there are players who like dark people. I wanted to find out everyone for him- / herself.

In my opinion, TDE is indeed a lore-rich setting. When I read threads about things in (A)D&D lore, I cannot understand too much. I had heavy problems with Baldur's Gate and I think because of that I still do not quite understand the praise it received.

On the oher hand, I'm kind of a biased fan of TDE and I'd like people to understand the TDE setting better. It's like ... as if I had had someone explaining (A)D&D lore to me. There never was anyone who did it.

I'm someone who is very, very much detail-oriented. I want to know what's behind things. I'm asking maself and others. I'm thinking - maybe too much. I can't help myself. I must accept that I'm detail-oriented.

It is part of my nature that I try to help people in fields/areas where I have been helpless myself in the past. Maybe I even have what we cal here a "helper syndrome". I don't now.

Right now I'm on the search trying to find out whether I'm kind of a Asperger Autist, too. If this would be true, then i woul explain a lot of the ways I'm functioning, so to say.

And, last, capitalizing words has grown to become my unique writing style. I do know only one other person who has developed the same traitm, and we read each ohers with great respect - grown out of he knowledge tht we are both unique ones, regarding this wriing style. No-one I ever read in forums used capitalized words as a means for emphasis than we both do.

I'm an Alien even among Aliens.

It is part of my nature that I try to help people in fields/areas where I have been helpless myself in the past. Maybe I even have what we cal here a "helper syndrome". I don't now.
For someone with a helper syndrome you come over as a bit too impatient and condescending, at least in your last but one post ;).

Well, maybe you could suggest an efficient magical character build for people who want to take the game more leisurely?

Last edited:
And, last, capitalizing words has grown to become my unique writing style. I do know only one other person who has developed the same traitm, and we read each ohers with great respect - grown out of he knowledge tht we are both unique ones, regarding this wriing style. No-one I ever read in forums used capitalized words as a means for emphasis than we both do.

I'm an Alien even among Aliens.

Then I very well may have misinterpreted the tone of your comments.
In every forum and chat room I have ever been in "capitalization" of a word is to simulate shouting, "italics" is to emphasize an emotion attached to the statement.

If your intent was not to shout, or to add an emotion to your statements, then I will certainly take your specific dialect of forum talk into account when reading your responses.

btw, I too am rather detail orientated and feel your pain. ;)

If you have any questions in reference to DnD or ADnD I'd be happy to help. I've been playing and DM'ing since the 70's.

Oh, another question ... do you know how the fast travel works?

Cheers.

Last edited:
Oh, another question … do you know how the fast travel works?
Well, I know at least this :). You go to one of the fast travel locations, and the icon plus name of location appears next to the map. If you click on that, you can choose any of the other fast travel locations on the map, and your surroundings change immediately.

In every forum and chat room I have ever been in "capitalization" of a word is to simulate shouting, "italics" is to emphasize an emotion attached to the statement.

If your intent was not to shout, or to add an emotion to your statements, then I will certainly take your specific dialect of forum talk into account when reading your responses.

Yes, the *usual* interpretation is that of shouting, indeed.

But … I think I developed because of early internet forums needed too much time when I wanted to express something … like an underlined word. I think some earlier internet forums even didn't have underlined words available ? I don't remember anymore.

However, it evolved as kind of a habit. And is is far faster to type than putting a word into italics. ;)
Well, nowadays, putting words into italics and into bold printing works really fast - depending on the forum's software. Here, for example.
But the habit stays … ;)

On fast travel : There seem to be a few issues with the fast travel map. Some people just don't seem to be able to click on the locations, and "we" in the official forums don't know, why. In at least one case, disabling a special logitech mouse driver seemed to work, and it it could be, then, that uninstalling a special mouse driver works (I have no proof, I just deduced this, never had these problems myself), and to use the standard windows mouse driver instead.

As Turjan said,

To fast travel you need to first be at the exact spot where the pop-up occurs, then left click on the name of the area in the pop-up, (this will open the map) and then left click on one of the fast travel markers on your map.

I'd bet you a dime to a dollar that this is stated in the user's manual for RoT.

Do either of you guys know if an English version has been produced and where it might be obtained from?

You could try looking at Replacementdocs.

I'm not sure anymore, but I think I had seen one there … Don't remember the language anymore, though … The only thing I'm sure of is that I've seen an English-language Drakensang 1 manual there … It includes spell descriptions, if you need them.

I sometimes wonder against what you are measuring your own view of Drakensang.

Have you ever played the German original ? Because, you do so many things in your Mods that I sometimes have the feeling as if you were trying to shape Drakensang into something different … into something that rather suits your taste … something like … (A)D&D, for example, or Gohic or The Witcher …

This isn't anymore the original Drakensang, then.

Perhaps into a… computer game?

I don't get it why you are so against modding, even though it makes the game live longer and players like it. And it's totally optional of course.

IMO, original Drakensang as such has many flaws and I'm not talking about the actual bugs, but some big gameplay issues.

Last edited:
IMO, original Drakensang as such has many flaws and I'm not talking about the actual bugs, but some big gameplay issues.
The thing that bothers me most is that opponents just walk through your chars and you cannot use choke points or other environment features. Unfortunately, I doubt that this is moddable.

I don't get it why you are so against modding, even though it makes the game live longer and players like it. And it's totally optional of course.

I'm not against modding, I'm against ... making a game into a different game.

Lazarus ? Well, I haven't played the original, so I can't compare it, then.

In my position, I'm a fan of TDE, and I fear that things miht be chnged so that its "originality" gets lost. This is what I fear, as a fan.

Even worse, I fear that that people might want to shift rakensang into a game tht rather fits their ustomes they know from (A)D&D. Bigger monsters, more magic, high fantasy, more brutality, more combat, all of the clichés that developed inside of my head.

And yes, as you can see, I'm clearly biased. For example I never understood what's so great about Bldur's gate - a gme where EVERY confrontation leads into combat. The game has no social components at all. Everything is great click-fest, and vwerything concentrates on combat, and on high magic, better weapons, be a great and fearsome warrior and so on. This is how I see it.

I experience TDE and Drakensang especilly as the direct opposite. Maybe even I am shifting Drakensang into something that it isn't.

Aventuria is (in contrast to Myranor) a low-magic world. Some fans in the forums even say there are already too many magical items in both Drakensang games.

Ergo somewhere says that he wanted the guards to sound more brutal, more direct, more ... impolite. He argued that guards shouldn't sound like that. He wrote that he didn't lke their politeness.

I tried to take a look at the guards in the German version of the game. And yes, they ARE polite ! They DO sound not grim and gritty ! Except the bad ones, of course. You'll encounter several bad guards, but you'll know it that they are standing on the "evil side".

But the "good guards" - yes, they sound polite. Everyone does, except the baddies.

I like it. To me, it is part of the originalöity of Aventuria. The good ones are really good, the bad ones re really bad ... This is still a "good vs. evil" cliché. And that's why I like it.

Others prefer "Greyturia". I wrote a few times (read here forcexample !) that there are players who want a darker form of Aventuria. As P&P players, they have grown up with the time after the Borbarad Invasion, an that's "Greyturia". They don't know Aventuria any other way. There is no sharp line/border between bad and evil, but a grey border, and hey do like it. They are even sometimes fighting the clear border othrs would like to see !

And that' - as I see it, personally - a kind of shism among the fans. There are at least 2 factions : Those who really want the fairy-tale aspct of Aventuria back. They want the great distortions of landscape and (good vs. evil) borders back. They want more fairy-tale in it. They want heroes to be heroes. Clear heroes. Who rescue the orphans, spend money to the temples of the Twelvegods and hlp elderly women across the street, so to say.

And the other facion wants Aventuria to be grey. Dark. Half-evil, half-good. Gritty, Not this pink and colourful fairy-tale stuff which is only for immature girls and for whiners. They want it dark. They want an Aventuria where everyone works for himself, and that alone - and not for some crazy distortion of mind called "heroism".

And me, I belong to the first faction. I love Drakensang BECAUSE it is not dark & gritty. In fact, I'm quite fed up with this dark stuff I find in ALL games of recent times. With Dragon Age being the peak of darkness.

And that's where my suspicion is against. I - biased, as I am - don't want Drakensang to be yet another D&G game. We already have too many of this sort, in my opinion. Especially on the PC platform we have nothing but darkness, blood, violence, battles, and muted colours. Drakensang is a refreshing departure fom this in my eyes.

And this is where I stand.

I love Drakensang BECAUSE it is not dark & gritty. In fact, I'm quite fed up with this dark stuff I find in ALL games of recent times. With Dragon Age being the peak of darkness.
Well, I think the two of us are not in disagreement here. The icky aspects and the color palette are two things that have kept me from even trying Dragon Age so far. I also like my fantasy worlds colorful.

I don't understand some of your other aspects, though. Up to D&D 3.x, the good/evil dichotomy was at least as much ingrained into D&D as it was in DSA, if not more so. Most Bioware games have this to an extreme. I like my morals a bit more grey, and I have the feeling that Drakensang has at least some of that aspect. I'm not that far into the game, but are the pirates that go against the elves really that bad? They seem to have some honorable traits. Or is Cano good? He is charismatic, yes, but he sees life as a game and is stealing stuff left and right. Anyway, not all games can do the "grey" aspect as well as Morrowind. There, if you look superficially at the game, you have both, the colorful and the dark aspects, and you are the usual hero saving the world. If you look more closely, you see that things are actually quite different from that impression, although many players might miss that.

I'm also not sure whether you do not mix up two things here. I like vibrant, colorful worlds as much as you do, and don't mind the whimsical, as long as it doesn't get into "My Little Pony" territory. On the other hand, I prefer grey morals. There is still space for the big bad evil and the glorious heroes in a mostly grey world, the only thing missing is the stupid Biowarian point system for each of your answers. I think that Drakensang suits me just fine in that regard. No stupid good or stupid evil to be seen anywhere, at least up to the point where I am in the game.

Lastly, I don't quite see what Ergo's mod pack has to do with this specific discussion. I don't see it changing the gist of the game. It changes more things than I like, but even in the first Drakensang, I modified the game to speed up walking or flower picking. Things like that don't touch anything you mentioned in your last post.

I also like more "colorful" RPGs, than dark themed RPGs. That's the reason why I hold BG1 as my fav RPG and why I like Drakensang series so much. :)

drakensang-the-dark-eye-20080822015542272_640w.jpg

scr8.jpg

But this is the very first time I read that someone wants the German speech in international releases …

I suppose it's a big boundary for English-speakers but for us Dutchies it would make sense. We get the English version because that's what we always get, but I played the Witcher in Polish and wouldn't have minded playing TRoT in German.

Oh, the localization? Yeah, it was pretty bad. I've seen worse, but I've also seen a lot better.

On the other hand, I prefer grey morals. There is still space for the big bad evil and the glorious heroes in a mostly grey world, the only thing missing is the stupid Biowarian point system for each of your answers. I think that Drakensang suits me just fine in that regard. No stupid good or stupid evil to be seen anywhere, at least up to the point where I am in the game.

While there's no harf-harf villains just being evil for the sake of it (there was in Drakensang: TDE, but not so much in TRoT), it does get awfully two-dimensional at the end.

Back
Top Bottom