Why such bad reviews of Alpha Protocol

Generally I'm not a huge fan of minigames. In AP specifically I consider the hacking game somewhat annoying, the other two work out okay. I wouldn't care if they were gone though.

I'm a fan of mini-games done well, but they're rare.

In my opinion, it helps immersion to have an actual representation of what you're doing, like lockpicking or hacking. I don't like "arcade" mini-games, or what constitutes as a separate actual game that isn't DIRECTLY related to the activity. Hacking in Bioshock is an example of a HORRIBLE mini-game - because it's basically an established game that has NOTHING to do with hacking. On the other hand, I find Fallout 3 hacking excellent, because it feels like you're actually figuring out passwords, without making it a big chore.

I just want to feel like I'm the one there, doing the stuff.

That's because, when I play, I always try to identify with the character - and I try to be myself in that world. I dislike playing someone else, and I don't like the sensation that I'm simply guiding someone ELSE around and simply use skill rolls for everything.

That's probably another reason I don't like AP dialogue, because I really couldn't identify with the main character AT ALL. So, everything he said and did, that I was supposed to be the one saying and doing - annoyed me.

I'm very much a hands-on type of guy in real life, as well, so I really enjoy being the one doing the actual stuff.

I'm a fan of mini-games done well, but they're rare.

In my opinion, it helps immersion to have an actual representation of what you're doing, like lockpicking or hacking. I don't like "arcade" mini-games, or what constitutes as a separate actual game that isn't DIRECTLY related to the activity. Hacking in Bioshock is an example of a HORRIBLE mini-game - because it's basically an established game that has NOTHING to do with hacking. On the other hand, I find Fallout 3 hacking excellent, because it feels like you're actually figuring out passwords, without making it a big chore.

I just want to feel like I'm the one there, doing the stuff.

I'm very much a hands-on type of guy in real life, as well, so I really enjoy being the one doing the actual stuff.

That's a good point, I hadn't really thought of it like that. But would you rather have a skill requirement for the mini game, such as you'd still have the lock pick mini game, but you'd also have a lock pick skill that would dictate which locks you could attempt to pick (so Fallout 3 essentially)? Or just have it the way it is?

And another thing with AP, doesn't anyone think it's weird that you can pick locks and bypass keypads without any tools or gadgets or anything?

And another thing with AP, doesn't anyone think it's weird that you can pick locks and bypass keypads without any tools or gadgets or anything?

Not any weirder than paying $100,000+ for a gun.

AP isn't very realistic for a modern day setting, which is one of the things that kills it for me.

Who said he doesn't have stuff like that in his pockets? I assume a special agent has access to most such items.

Who said he doesn't have stuff like that in his pockets? I assume a special agent has access to most such items.

What about at the start when he was in hospital scrubs? They drugged him, took all his gear off him, dressed him in hospital scrubs then gave him all his spy stuff back? Or perhaps he had a secret stash of spy gadgets safely concealed up his ass. In that case then they should have an animation of him pulling down his scrubs and reaching around to pull out a gadget every time he picks a lock or hacks something.

Lol what a bash onto US heads! Made me laugh loud. :biggrin:

I won't be surprised if the author was US, they are the best to bash themselves, that a quality and technical approach you can't remove "them". :)

One point about shoot aiming and character attributes, it's not the first game that tried it. In Dark Citadel: Adventure of the Crystal Keep, a game from 1989, they attempted address the challenge. Characters had attribute and the fights was slightly action and one attribute was DEX influencing the aiming ability for long range attacks. In this game when you try aim something from far your aiming line is shaking, and with very low DEX it was a lot. Not sure how you could translate that in a shooter without frustrate all shooter players. :)

I just had a thought : what , if EU players base their assumptions on reviews they read in US-based web sites ?

Assumed that both have slightly different cultures.

Back
Top Bottom