What games are you playing now?

I'm also playing Borderlands 2, or at least I was. I played for about 3 hours before I lost interest.

It feels pretty much the same as Borderlands 1 to me. Endless fetch-quests, HP-sponge bosses, and humor that just isn't funny to me. I forced myself to finish the first game, but I don't see myself having the fortitude to do that again.

That is pretty much what happened to me when I started replaying Borderlands 2 on the PS Vita late last week ... the dual-stick Vita is better for shooters than any other non-PC/console ever ... but that is a low hurdle. Borderlands is an imperfect port and highlights all of the shortcomings of the game and the system. The fun was short-lived.

Never appealed to me. Did either of you finish witcher 3? Still knocking off side quests now post kaer Mohren (sp?).

Not yet - it is something I keep playing a bit at a time. I just keep side-lining for other stuff.

I'm also playing Borderlands 2, or at least I was. I played for about 3 hours before I lost interest.

It feels pretty much the same as Borderlands 1 to me. Endless fetch-quests, HP-sponge bosses, and humor that just isn't funny to me. I forced myself to finish the first game, but I don't see myself having the fortitude to do that again.

I agree with all of this but I think I just needed to purge my system of fantasy crpgs and I'm not done yet. The nemesis in this game is pure garbage and his dialogue feels like it was written for immature 12 year olds. I enjoy claptrap and crazy Tannis, but the rest of the voice acting has been bad to truly horrible. I've got a buddy playing Borderlands 1 and once he gets proficient, we're going to try co-op. It's not my thing, but it might be fun.

I don't know if this is really accurate but Borderlands has always seemed like this game to me where the single player is completely irrelevant for most people like in the Battlefield games.
It's always appeared to me that it's a pure multiplayer (especially coop) focused experience like Battlefield, Left4Dead and games like that. That's why I never developed any real interest in the series.
In other words: I believe you guys are "doing it wrong" when you're playing the single player :biggrin: .

Oh yeah. This is definitely a co-op game at heart.

Finished Dishonored. Quite to my liking :). Now I just need to get used to Daud's multi-abilities in the addons ...

I finally got the issued with my GreenManGaming 'Witcher 3 Apology Voucher' sorted (they had no keys for a day or so ... so much drama! ) and grabbed Dragon Age Inquisition AND pre-ordered Fallout 4 - for a total of just under $50.

So I finally started Dragon Age: Inquisition. Was a bit overwhelmed with all of the shiny plastic faces at first, but got used to it ;)

What shiny plastic?
txa, what gfx card you use there? What settings? Did Origin patch the game completely after installation?

What shiny plastic?
txa, what gfx card you use there? What settings? Did Origin patch the game completely after installation?

It is the Alienware 13, so it has the 2GB NVidia GeForce GTX 960. I am exaggerating a bit, but the efforts at looking hyper-realistic seem to go overboard at times in the early game cutscenes.

Messing around with a lot of different games lately.

I've been playing some old arcade favorites on MAME. Mostly Strider and R-type 1&2.

The recent Gauntlet reboot. It's better than I thought it was going to be, but my expectations were really low. I hate the fact that you have to clear a certain amount of levels before the game will save them as cleared.

Freelancer. I've only messed around with it for a few hours, but so far I'm having a hard time seeing why so many people consider it a classic. I guess it's just one of those games that needed to be played back then to fully appreciate it.

Painkiller: Hell and Damnation. From what I gather, it's basically an HD remake of the original Painkiller+expansion. I thought I'd give it a try despite not caring for the original. I can't say I care much for this one either.

Gauntlet reboot. It's better than I thought it was going to be, but my expectations were really low. I hate the fact that you have to clear a certain amount of levels before the game will save them as cleared.
Thanks for the warning. My UPS can hold 10 minutes max on power outage which means no way I'll ever buy that crap.

Freelancer. I've only messed around with it for a few hours, but so far I'm having a hard time seeing why so many people consider it a classic. I guess it's just one of those games that needed to be played back then to fully appreciate it.
No proper competition, that's why.
The only competitor is the scandalous gambling MMO, Perfectworld's Star Trek.

Why do you think Star Citizen got so much investments? And why everyone expects perhaps too much from upcoming No Man's Sky?
And for all I know, the Elite resurrected project I refused to back on kickstarter didn't impress anyone.

Painkiller: Hell and Damnation. From what I gather, it's basically an HD remake of the original Painkiller+expansion. I thought I'd give it a try despite not caring for the original. I can't say I care much for this one either.
Never heard about it, but will try to remember not to grab it on some -95% discount. ;)

TAnd for all I know, the Elite resurrected project I refused to back on kickstarter didn't impress anyone.

You are quite mistaken about that one. It has a very decent following for a pretty hardcore space sim and sold north of 500K copies by the end of April. It only arrived on Steam on April 1, 2015 (after its original public release on December 16, 2014) so it's probably quite a bit farther north of 500K by now.
In fact, it's been in the Steam top 10 for many weeks in a row now (only interrupted by the summer sale). At full price.
Expansions and content updates are coming out on a regular basis. They are still sending out their newsletters (like the KS updates) every Friday and there is a lot of stuff coming up.
For example, FD will be heading to Gamescom and are currently preparing things for their next "major announcement".
The game has also been made available on Xbone Game Preview in June and a PS4 version should follow as soon as the Xbone exclusivity expires.

The release version was a little barebone but they never made a secret about that. They wanted to release a solid basis first within reasonable scope&budget and then build on top of it. They are doing a great job as far as I am concerned (I backed at Founder level). I haven't played much since January but I can't wait to get back to it once they have added significantly more content and features.
I definitely much prefer their MO over Chris Roberts' retarded feature creep MO. They are doing it right IMHO by setting realistic target goals and actually delivering stuff, too, instead of CR's let's-promise-everything-and-not-give-a-shit-about-how-or-when.

The release version was a little barebone but they never made a secret about that. They wanted to release a solid basis first within reasonable scope&budget and then build on top of it. They are doing a great job as far as I am concerned (I backed at Founder level). I haven't played much since January but I can't wait to get back to it once they have added significantly more content and features.
I definitely much prefer their MO over Chris Roberts' retarded feature creep MO. They are doing it right IMHO by setting realistic target goals and actually delivering stuff, too, instead of CR's let's-promise-everything-and-not-give-a-shit-about-how-or-when.

ED is still incredibly barebones to me, that's for sure.

I think the foundation is great - but the game is hollow as an empty shell.

They delivered what they promised? I guess, but that doesn't make it a great game.

I don't know why a barebones multiplayer Elite game has to be the perfect opportunity to badmouth Star Citizen, though.

The two games couldn't be more different in scope or ambition.

Maybe I appreciate vision and the desire to truly evolve the genre and gaming as a whole more than others. Quite possibly so.

I've been playing some old arcade favorites on MAME. Mostly Strider and R-type 1&2.

That brings back memories from the late 90s, my last desktop PC, playing Sinistar and others in MAME ... :)

I really liked the original - it hit the right spot for me in 2004 along with Sacred, I even wrote an article (forget where) about 'Gaming like it's 1997' as the two games felt like Quake and Diablo in many ways.

But after enjoying the first Painkiller, playing a bit of the next one ... I have bought others but not sure if I have played or even installed most ... so I now remind myself of that whenever they are on sale for cheap!

You are quite mistaken about that one….
For example, FD will be heading to Gamescom and are currently preparing things for their next "major announcement"…

Sorry if I was wrong, I really didn't care for that game since it's KS opening day and am hardly seeing it mentioned anywhere that's why I assumed and said "for all I know".
It's topselling statistics won't make me change my mind about it however.

Gamescom… Honestly I'm just interested to see Technomancer, Elex and ME4 presentations there. There is no word about possible FO4 and DX4 new stuff, but if those happen, will definetly follow some stream.
Between lines, seems I'm eager to see anything sci fi, as long as it's done-deal singleplayer without artificial lifeprolonging by additional content. Just like Freelancer was.

For Chris Roberts' "feature creep MO" I dunno what to expect. Cannot blame him nor it, cannot be sure if it'll turn out into another classic or will happen to be an utter garbage. The same goes for the second title I've mentioned, No Man's Sky. But everyone everywhere is talking about these two games. Not about the new Elite.

Messing around a bit.

I almost bought Solarix from Steam on a whim, but at 20 euro - I decided to try it through other means first. Boy, am I glad I did - what a mess.

I reinstalled Unreal 2 and tweaked it a bit, and it surprised me with how good it looks for such an old game. Ok, not a miracle - but it's playable, and I might end up getting a nostalgic kick out of it.

Also reinstalled DX:IW - though I'm not sure why. I've tried playing it half a dozen times, and I always end up quitting at or before the half-way point. It's not that bad, no, but it's certainly not very good either.

Retried New Vegas for the Xth time too, and I quit in disgust at the Obsidian clunkiness. Not sure why I put myself through that again and again. Well, I do know - it's because I love open world games and I like what Obsidian did with the mechanics. But I just can't stand it at length.

I guess maybe I should just learn to be patient. This is all because I'm waiting for the 1.07 Witcher 3 patch, as that's the game I really want to play.

A question for all, does anyone play any of these 4-5 roguelikes that are set to be released in this month?

A month of roguelikes… Horrors!

So ... thanks to a few different threads my 'game meandering' has actually gotten worse. Over the last couple days I have played at least 15 minutes of:
- Gothic 2
- Dragon Age: Inquisition
- The Witcher 3
- Unreal
- Quake
- Quake II
- Eschalon Book III
- Torchlight II
- Legend of Grimrock II
- Jedi Knight
- Knights of the Old Republic

... I think that is all. Ugh ... I need to just stick to something! haha ... at least the shooters go by quickly (like MoH:AA last week)

Back
Top Bottom