RPGWatch Feature - Divinity: Original Sin Preview

Btw will there be boxed version or just digial distribution anyone know(Boxed DRM free version would be awsome)?
It's in the article. There will be both digital distribution and boxed versions available. The latter might not be available world-wide perhaps.

Interesting.

I have concerns about how the features will work from a pacing perspective - conversations could be dragged out if there are too many mini-games between players just to determine what response is said.

Turn-based combat can also impact pacing negatively - it works great for older games as they are often quite small. But I have less concern about that as I'm sure that will be balanced for fine.

Onto Ultima VII… as mentioned, the virtual world interactivity and NPC scheduling are what makes that game for me. If they can nail that atmosphere then I am probably sold.

Sounds good. I was just thinking it would be nice to have a good coop CRPG again, to lure my wife back into gaming, and now this comes along and actually promises to do something interesting with the co-op concept!
Pretty whacky monster design though - not sure I like that.

Every time I see someone complain about this game having turn based combat (and there's been a lot- every site that posted about this features this complaint in the comments), I want to scream. REALLY?? You aren't satisfied with the five billion ARPGs released every day that you have to complain about one turn based game being announced? Go away!!! It's about time developers start releasing these kinds of games and it's these irritating complainers that make it into something only self-publishers can do.

Bethesda is publisher they publish games from thier own studios yes but they also publish game from studios not owned by ZeniMax.As for valve I just overlooked them my mistake but they are bit unique case
Also, CD Projekt, Bohemia Interactive, Stardock. What does it matter that Bethesda also publishes other developers games? Just like Larian they eventually became rich enough to publish their own games, except then they got even richer and started buying other studios.

I think most of us here are looking forward to some turn based combat. :)

Daniel.

Also, CD Projekt, Bohemia Interactive, Stardock. What does it matter that Bethesda also publishes other developers games? Just like Larian they eventually became rich enough to publish their own games, except then they got even richer and started buying other studios.

Touche.I must admit I was wrong with my statement I am just going to crawl back to my corner

This is pretty amazing, didn't expect this much old school goodness. I was a huge fan of the first game and this looks like it will be continuing the same style of game play and world. Of course, nothing is perfect and I would have preferred a darker and more realistic art style, the one in the screen shots is a little too "bright" (as in mood) and a touch cartoony, but its a minor quibble considering all the other positives, and as that internet saying goes - "Please, take my money!" when this is released.

Touche.I must admit I was wrong with my statement I am just going to crawl back to my corner

Well, I didn't intend to put you down :p I'm glad that Larian seems genuine about using their freedom for taking creative risks and making games they are passionate about.

Turn-based isometric sounds really good. I wouldn't have liked a real-time hack&slash isometric game like Divine Divinity but a turn-based one with action points sounds really nice. On paper at least. Bring on a demo already, please! :)

It's in the article. There will be both digital distribution and boxed versions available. The latter might not be available world-wide perhaps.

I'm Belgian, but live in the UK, who wants a delivery service for the UK ? :)

So, Wasteland 2 and now this. Hope this puts a stop to the ridiculous "Game X was the last RPG EVER and we're NEVER going to get another game like Game X again!".

*cough* *cough*

Every time I see someone complain about this game having turn based combat (and there's been a lot- every site that posted about this features this complaint in the comments), I want to scream. REALLY?? You aren't satisfied with the five billion ARPGs released every day that you have to complain about one turn based game being announced? Go away!!! It's about time developers start releasing these kinds of games and it's these irritating complainers that make it into something only self-publishers can do.

I agree, personally.

So Alrik, is it looking cheerful enough to raise your interest?

Holy smokes! Excellent news, most excellent. Isometric 3D and U7-like world interaction I was willing to believe before this article, but turn-based combat I thought wouldn't make the cut no matter what the promises or plans were. Very happy to have been wrong. Div:OS is looking mighty fine indeed. And the mod kit/editor being released along with the game - sweet! Three cheers for Larian!

Best preview I've read on this so far. :) Now I have another game to buy and play. I can't wait to see what they will show in the next few months/week.

The article mention it's a new engine, but they made the UI looks quite similar to the one in Divine Divinity/Beyond Divinity. I hope they don't change it too much, I always like it.

As for the strange monsters, I put the blame on the Chaos magic. I also saw some sort of mech in one of the screen and strange tech weapons in concept arts. The setting seems a bit more steampunk too.

WOW! if this turns out anywhere near Ultima 7 quality but with great combat....... it's going to be the best game released since Ultima 7!!

Someone wake me up when the TB frenzy has ended and we get some more oldschool, party based RTwP games.

Holy God in Heaven!

This is amazing! I love Divine Divinity - it's the best hack and slash RPG I've ever played (yes, even more so than the Diablo series or Torchlight).

And they're going turn-based. That's a big risky step but hell, this is Larian! They can definitely make it work!

Oh man, I am SOOOOO looking forward to this!

Back
Top Bottom