Fallout 4 - On Frame Rate And Mod Support

Gorath

Prime Evil
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Digital Spy talked to Todd Howard about Fallout 4 at the E3. Here's what he said about frame rate and resolution:

"It is 1080p on everything," he said, before confirming that it would run at 30fps and not 60fps.
On everything ?!

Regarding mod support:

"But, you know, it will come out on PC first. So early 2016, the creation mod for the PC, and then we're going to make that work on the Xbox One, and then we're going to do the PS4 version."
Unless Sony shoots mod support down. They have the last word.

More information.

I'll be playing this on PC, so mod support for consoles doesn't directly affect me, but I still think it is cool that console games will have mods. Bethesda is always pushing the envelope with this stuff and it is what makes them such a great game developer.

So creation kit won't be released with the game meaning we will need to wait till 2016 for the community to fix bugs ;)

Sure Sony has the last word but I think Bethesda is big enough these days to arm twist Sony.

Bethesda won't have to twist; the PS4 Fallout fans will kill Sony, in the media, if they don't support them.

I wonder what kind of headroom will be left for mods on the consoles. I assume they will try to use all the consoles capabilities with the vanilla game. So will there be headroom for AI, graphics, more monsters, npc's on screen, etc.

The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if this is why the graphics look so lackluster. So there will be headroom left on Xbox for mods. :thinking:

Come to think of it I was able to max out my dual Titan setup using enough mods. I wonder what kind of limitations will be imposed on console. Also curious to see how console gamer react when mods go wrong and they hose their game.

Last edited:
Bethesda won't have to twist; the PS4 Fallout fans will kill Sony, in the media, if they don't support them.

PS4 Fallout fans don't care.

PS4 Fallout fans don't care.

I've seen quite a few posts on the forums asking if mods can be used on the PS4 so perhaps they do

I wonder what kind of headroom will be left for mods on the consoles. I assume they will try to use all the consoles capabilities with the vanilla game. So will there be headroom for AI, graphics, more monsters, npc's on screen, etc

Doubt there will be much more room than for simple values edits since it's those things that won't affect performance (generally).

Last edited:
Bethesda games are the only ones I know which require to adjust the monitor refresh rate to run smoothly, i.e., without the physics engine wreaking havok on the furniture, like in Skyrim. I hope their 30FPS comment is not referencing this peculiarity, because if they cannot update their engine to fix such a basic bug, that would be kinda disappointing.

Bethesda games are the only ones I know which require to adjust the monitor refresh rate to run smoothly, i.e., without the physics engine wreaking havok on the furniture, like in Skyrim. I hope their 30FPS comment is not referencing this peculiarity, because if they cannot update their engine to fix such a basic bug, that would be kinda disappointing.

Think he's just saying that it will run at least 30fps on all platforms, including consoles - which is pretty much the same as for Witcher 3. Will run faster on PCs with a decent card, of course. Skyrim had some problems with vsync at over 60fps - is that what you are referring to? I expect they will have done extensive work on the engine since Skyrim, as then it was 32bit.

Think he's just saying that it will run at least 30fps on all platforms, including consoles - which is pretty much the same as for Witcher 3. Will run faster on PCs with a decent card, of course. Skyrim had some problems with vsync at over 60fps - is that what you are referring to? I expect they will have done extensive work on the engine since Skyrim, as then it was 32bit.

It's referencing the consoles only. The PC version's frame rate is not limited. When they say "not limited in any way" on PC, I imagine they might also mean that game systems don't presume a particular range of refresh rates to function correctly either. Would make sense given the increased range of availible monitor refresh rates.

https://twitter.com/Bethblog/status/613008088824741888

Thanks for the link. I updated the newsbit.

So creation kit won't be released with the game meaning we will need to wait till 2016 for the community to fix bugs ;)

Hehe. Unfortunatedly very true and since I won't be able to keep my hands of this game I'll start to play without any of those bugfixes.. arghasdh

I wonder if there will be VR support? Todd Howard wasn't very impressed with stereoscopic 3D but, with the game's mod'ability, Bethesda's games have been great in S3D. Will he also not like VR? Will we be able to push it into VR even if he doesn't?

Hehe. Unfortunatedly very true and since I won't be able to keep my hands of this game I'll start to play without any of those bugfixes.. arghasdh
Well, somebody has to remember all those funny bugs that got through QA! I'm glad it isn't me. ;)

I wonder if there will be VR support? Todd Howard wasn't very impressed with stereoscopic 3D but, with the game's mod'ability, Bethesda's games have been great in S3D. Will he also not like VR? Will we be able to push it into VR even if he doesn't?

That's an interesting thought. One possibility is that the apparently constrained graphics could be explained by the requirements of VR - essentially each frame has to be rendered twice, so the graphics would have to be toned down, especially for consoles.

It's referencing the consoles only. The PC version's frame rate is not limited. When they say "not limited in any way" on PC, I imagine they might also mean that game systems don't presume a particular range of refresh rates to function correctly either. Would make sense given the increased range of availible monitor refresh rates.

https://twitter.com/Bethblog/status/613008088824741888

Thank you for the link! That sounds good, actually (there are more important aspects to a game than frames per second, but it should not require a frames per second limiter as Skyrim did for me — and yes, I believe that was at 60fps but even without vsync).

Back
Top Bottom