Steam Game Sharing Planned?

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
A thread on NeoGAF notes some code in the new Steam beta suggesting Valve is planning to allow Steam users to select games to share with a circle of friends. This is confirmed on Kotaku.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]"SteamUI_JoinDialog_SharedLicense_Title" "Shared game library"
"SteamUI_JoinDialog_SharedLicenseLocked_OwnerText" "Just so you know, your games are currently in use by %borrower%. Playing now will send %borrower% a notice that it's time to quit."
"SteamUI_JoinDialog_SharedLicenseLocked_BorrowerText" "This shared game is currently unavailable. Please try again later or buy this game for your own library."
[/FONT]
This wouldn't be the first time this rumor has surfaced though.

From a PC Gamer article done toward the end of E3:
Microsoft has demoed the Xbox One. Sony has shown off the Playstation 4. Then, in an equally big hall, the lights go down, Gabe Newell steps onto the stage. He says nothing. He just coughs. He points at the screen. A Half-Life 3 logo appears. The crowd goes wild. He walks off, still silent.

Then a minute later, he casually pokes his head back round the curtain. "Wait, did I forget to mention it's free and available on Steam right now?" he asks. "Sorry it took so long. Also, you can trade Steam games now. Don’t mind that noise, it’s just a pig taking off. Ah, one second. Someone needs to Heimlich Steve Ballmer's tongue out of his throat."
There were also new rumors yesterday about HL3 being under development. Sppoooooky.

Anyway, I'll believe it when I see it. In both cases.

They would lose a lot of sales from my house then, as I usually buy 3 of just about every game for my 2 sons and I.

It would be great for me though. I too will believe it when I see it.

Back
Top Bottom