Gothic

Becoming a Water Mage and later Necromancer was the greatest part of it all :) Actually felt like I had worked hard for something and achieved it ;)

I will never forget sneaking around in the middle of the forest at night, only to be mauled (and eaten!) by a massive Shadowbeast that seemingly came out of nowhere. Certainly made my heart jump into my throat.

My favorite "Oh Sh*t!" memory was seeing a skeleton for the first time.

It was underneath that old tower by the ocean, where you go down the spiral staircase to the area where you eventually get the Chromanin quest. I was exploring it at night, and one ran at me out of nowhere. As soon as it became visible in the light of my torch I turned and ran, and I didn't stop until I was halfway to the Old Camp.

Somehow PB created some really frightening moments.
The most bad ones were:
G1:Being attacked by Skeletons
G2:Being attacked by Shadowbeasts
G3:Being attacked by WildBoars

Somehow PB created some really frightening moments.
The most bad ones were:
G1:Being attacked by Skeletons
G2:Being attacked by Shadowbeasts
G3:Being attacked by WildBoars

For me in G1 it was Orcs. That "uba Chaga, Uba Chaga" chant they said as they ran after me (and I did a lot of running) gave me the creeps.

@JDR Funny as hell, man. I had a couple of those moments as well, but don't think I ran all the way back. ;)

I will never forget sneaking around in the middle of the forest at night, only to be mauled (and eaten!) by a massive Shadowbeast that seemingly came out of nowhere. Certainly made my heart jump into my throat.
Yeah! It was easy to do, since they just slept most of the time. But first there were the wolves you encountered, right? It just seemed so perfect!

Don't forget the first combat encounter, the molerat! I was scared the first time I approached it, actually did the start 3 times before I realized it doesn't attack :p

Did anyone try to go swimming in that little pond when first getting to the prison and then the lights would flash and then bam I'm dead.

Not so scary more a oooohhh man they're harsh. I figured the shell would be like a wall or something and I could skim around it to see how far I could go. But not in Gothic, this world is tuff and will chew you up and spit you out if you aren't careful.

That's when I knew I was going to be hooked to this game for a very long time.

The first fight versus a mole rat: I died a cpouple a times.
Remeber meeting the orc dogs for the first time? never been that scared of a dog before.

Although the actual game mechanics and lack of a wide variety of character developement choices should led one to reason that Gothic is an ARPG, I cannot help but think of Gothic (and G2 too) as a full-fledged RPG (and one of the best of all time) for some reason. I am still baffled from where this discrepance in sober evaluation of the game mechanics and perception during playing the game stems.

Although the actual game mechanics and lack of a wide variety of character developement choices should led one to reason that Gothic is an ARPG, I cannot help but think of Gothic (and G2 too) as a full-fledged RPG (and one of the best of all time) for some reason. I am still baffled from where this discrepance in sober evaluation of the game mechanics and perception during playing the game stems.

Well, I think you're dead wrong if you think of character development choices as a deciding factor, because action RPGs tend to base the majority of their gameplay ON character development.

Think of Diablo 2, Titan Quest, and Hellgate - and you'll see characters with a lot more customization than some of the most classic RPGs like Torment, Witcher, and I'd say it's comparable to 2nd edition AD&D used in Baldur's Gate 2.

Probably the reason you can consider Gothic a fully fledged RPG is because the game has a ton of interaction - both with NPCs and the world in general. Also, there's a deep and non-linear story present, which you definitely won't find in a typical action RPG.

Well, I think you're dead wrong if you think of character development choices as a deciding factor, because action RPGs tend to base the majority of their gameplay ON character development.

You are right. I probably should have written 'lightweight RPG' instead of 'ARPG'.

I miss playing Gothic for the first time, such great tone and atmosphere on top of everything else. I hate to say it but I feel like I will never find a game and have a first playthrough as enjoyable as that again. Gothic 2 was unique also, it felt like a direct continuation of the original rather than a separate game. Wish I could say the same for Gothic 3 :(

Yeah, Gothic 1 is a totally unique experience.

Listen, slightly off-topic, but I don't reckon it merits its own thread: Can one play the original Gothic 2 if you have Gothic 2 Gold, which is the G2 version that comes with the Gothic Universe pack, without it automatically installing NOTR with it?

I never managed to finish G2 before losing my disc, so I bought the GUniverse edition, and am now playing (ok, long neglected, I admit :p ) NOTR, but I'd like to also still have the original G2 as well.

So can anyone tell me if that would mean having to buy G2 on its own again?

Yeah, Gothic 1 is a totally unique experience.

Listen, slightly off-topic, but I don't reckon it merits its own thread: Can one play the original Gothic 2 if you have Gothic 2 Gold, which is the G2 version that comes with the Gothic Universe pack, without it automatically installing NOTR with it?

I never managed to finish G2 before losing my disc, so I bought the GUniverse edition, and am now playing (ok, long neglected, I admit :p ) NOTR, but I'd like to also still have the original G2 as well.

So can anyone tell me if that would mean having to buy G2 on its own again?

Does GUniverse come on 1 DVD or multiple CDs?

In the previous budget release, Gothic 2: Gold, there were 3 CDs. If you installed the first 2 and then stopped, you had Vanilla Gothic 2. NOTR would only take over if you went ahead put in the 3rd CD and commenced with *its* installation.

Now I'm not sure if this GUniverse has the same type of packaging, but if it seems like Gothic 2 is spread across 3 CDs, then I'm betting the installation process will stop at the 2nd one and if you choose to leave it there, you have vanilla G2.

I'm guessing this GUinverse combines everything onto one DVD, though.

Thanks for the reply.
Dang, they packaged the entire G2 Gold onto one DVD. I'll see if I can unpack it onto my hddrive into seperate CD's and play it via a virtual drive.. -otherwise I'll keep my eyes open; I think I saw G2 on special at GOG the other day.

Just curious, but why would you want to play Gothic 2 vanilla anyways? G2 + NotR is sooo much better.
Only reason I can think of is difficulty, less learning points to advance skills.

Just curious, but why would you want to play Gothic 2 vanilla anyways? G2 + NotR is sooo much better.

Simple curiosity, to see how differently they play out. I had started both G2 vanilla and NOTR and played both quite a ways in, the vanilla game perhaps a bit more than NOTR, and they seemed to play out rather differently to me.

Besides the obvious added quests and difficulty settings from NOTR, this could also be due in part to a period of time passing since I stopped with G2 vanilla and started NOTR, but of course also the fact that G2 is by far not a very linear game...

Back
Top Bottom