King Arthur II - Interview @ Hooked Gamers

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Hooked Gamers has an interview with Neocore about King Arthur II. Here's a snip:
Hooked Gamers: A fun mechanic was the ability for heroes to marry, adding both negative and positive effects to their own special traits. Often though, the partners were more trouble than they were worth as negative traits usually outweighed the positive ones. Will this change in any way?

Viktor Juhász: Marriage will be still an important part of the game. Even if the wives have some negative traits – which is not quite decided yet – they will be definitely worth marrying.

Hooked Gamers: What changes do you expect will be made to city and province development?

Viktor Juhász: Generally speaking, in King Arthur II we put a lot more emphasis on the RPG elements and you can use the Campaign Map to develop your heroes and the important locations. The hero and army management will be more detailed, and you can also manage your artifacts now as you will now be able to forge new items.
In related news, Gaming Nexus has a review of The Druids DLC for the original game, with a score of 'C'.
More information.

From all the news going around the game looks better than the first one.I only hope there is no game breaking crashes like there last games.

I liked the first one, you are right though quite buggy.

I could never finish the first one because of game breaking bugs but I really liked it until said bug fest started. Hope the second one will be a bit more stable.

There also releasing a Japanese era game called Sengoku. Seem weird to announce this with shogun 2 coming out.

Here is the link for PCGAMER were I got the news.-http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/02/28/epic-battles-in-feudal-japan-coming-in-sengoku/#comments

Thanks for mentioning this, it looks quite interesting. It is a bit curious that they would go head-to-head with Shogun 2, but I think that a bit of competition will be good for this type of game. Hope Sengoku turns out well.

Thanks for mentioning this, it looks quite interesting. It is a bit curious that they would go head-to-head with Shogun 2, but I think that a bit of competition will be good for this type of game. Hope Sengoku turns out well.

No problem. My interest in gaming goes beyond just playing rpgs and its good to see Neocore making three more games. I wish them success and hope there games get better as time goes by.

I agree, Neocore seems like a solid company design wise and I've enjoyed their games so far - though I haven't gotten around to playing King's Crusade yet. Hopefully they can iron out some of the technical problems that plague their games. Even then, I'll take a buggy game that is unique, enjoyable, and ambitious over an extremely polished but unambitious game that's already been done to death. Looking forward to what Neocore offers in the coming years.

I agree, Neocore seems like a solid company design wise and I've enjoyed their games so far - though I haven't gotten around to playing King's Crusade yet. Hopefully they can iron out some of the technical problems that plague their games. Even then, I'll take a buggy game that is unique, enjoyable, and ambitious over an extremely polished but unambitious game that's already been done to death. Looking forward to what Neocore offers in the coming years.

If you ever play crusade just remember its different than King Arthur. You mostly fight battles instead of managing your territories. Still fun but different.

If you ever play crusade just remember its different than King Arthur. You mostly fight battles instead of managing your territories. Still fun but different.

Yeah, unfortunately that's part of the reason why I haven't gotten around to playing it yet - I don't really like the lack of a "sandbox" campaign in strategy games. I really liked what Neocore did with King Arthur, when they included a story campaign, but the player could pursue it whenever they wished or distract themselves with other things. I enjoyed having both the freedom of a sandbox campaign and a storyline to pursue as well, but with that being said, I'll definitely still play King's Crusade. I love the setting, and there aren't enough "realistic" and quality Crusader strategy games around to pass it up.

Yeah, unfortunately that's part of the reason why I haven't gotten around to playing it yet - I don't really like the lack of a "sandbox" campaign in strategy games. I really liked what Neocore did with King Arthur, when they included a story campaign, but the player could pursue it whenever they wished or distract themselves with other things. I enjoyed having both the freedom of a sandbox campaign and a storyline to pursue as well, but with that being said, I'll definitely still play King's Crusade. I love the setting, and there aren't enough "realistic" and quality Crusader strategy games around to pass it up.

You should love Crusader Kings 2. Its completely different and you must build and continue your dynasty. Your king dies with no heir its game over. Politics also play an important role within your kingdom.

The first and most important aspect to bear in mind about Crusader Kings 2 is that the player doesn't take the usual role of a country. You aren’t the de facto leader of France, for example; you’re just a nobleman with a small mass of land. Your goal in the game isn’t to lead your country to supreme victory by quashing or controlling every other territory on the board; all you want to do is look after your family. Really, that’s all anyone wants to do.

Of course, this perfectly illustrates the appeal of Crusader Kings 2 – that much of the risk isn’t based merely on tactical know-how or the number of knights you’ve got on your lawn. Instead, it’s based on the personality of your enemies and the flow of diplomacy. Social strategies are a lot harder to predict, more nuanced and – dare we say – more interesting. There’s a delicate balancing act involved as you weigh decisions and gather information – information more closely tied to the narrative than ‘The enemy has five catapults.' It’s potentially a more engaging structure for a strategy title, and one we’ll be watching closely as Crusader Kings 2 approaches its release.
Thats taken from the preview

Here is a link with more info if your interested its says it will be out January 2012.
http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/2011/02/09/crusader-kings-2-preview/1

Last edited:
Wow they're making a Crusader Kings' 2?? I loved the original, and I assumed that it would be a forgotten gem forever lost in the depths of time. I read the full preview, and I am impressed with the direction that the game is heading in. The focus on rising in the feudal ranks instead of forging a grand empire is an interesting and fresh new take on the strategy genre - just as it was back when Crusader Kings 1 was first released, which also had less of a focus on conquest and more on political manipulation. Definitely seems to have a lot of role-playing elements - ironically more-so than what is often seen in actual RPGs. I will definitely be watching this one closely.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom