Deus Ex: Human Revolution - FoV Option in PC Version

The post on the Eidos forum is in all likelyhood made by Dutch Lead Programmer Jim Offerman. As reported before the development (or porting) of the PC version is done by Dutch company Nixxes.

The previous statement you linked was made by Jean-François Dugas the Game Director.

So either they changed their minds or Dugas only knows things for certain about the console versions.

By the way, that was a very dickish response by Dugas.

I've never gotten sick playing console games on my PC (or on my tv, which is next to my PC on the desk) at all. I am however color-blind (Reds and Greens), but this is the second time I've read that people have questions about them in regards to games (the other was a question to JE Sawyer), but also with that I've never had encountered a problem.

I have been playing 3D games for years, starting with Midi Maze on the Atari ST then Wolfenstein 3D, up to the latest FPS and the only time that a game has ever made me nauseous was Half Life 2. I bought it a little after the release and could only play it in 15 minute intervals before I would have to stop, especially in the canals. I later found out it was due to Valve changing the FoV to a lower value than normal. My second play through I found the console command to increase the FoV and played through with no problems.

After that experience, I am glad to have the option to change it. I don't know if I would need it, but it's good to know it will be there if I do.

Huh - when I'm given a Field of View option, I tend to lower it as much as I can.

Actually, the only game to make me queezy has been Portal 2, and that only when I play in Stereoscopic 3D. Objects near the corners of the screen have always been drawn like they are closer (you can often see distant objects in the screen corners that are too far to draw when you look right at them!) but Portal 2 is the only game where I've seen them actually get closer in 3D. *THAT* is very nausiating to me.

God, I played the original Portal for 5-6 hours, without looking away, and felt, by the end, that I was going to experience death by vertigo. I'm not masochistic, I just didn't feel it creeping up on me- then it hit me all at once. Lesson learned.

I must be one of the lucky ones, because despite playing 3D games of one kind or another since 1989, I've never experienced any type of significant discomfort.

There's only one game I can remember feeling any discomfort at all with. That was Gothic, but it was minor and always ended after 10-15 minutes. Something about the way the camera pans in that game feels weird if I haven't played it in awhile.

Two games for me have made me motion sick and they were both console games: the marathon port on xbox live made me constantly queezy. Could have been stepping back in time 10 years after playing modern games. The other was a little known first person JRPG called Baroque.

The only games with FOV settings so low they bothered me were Turok and Borderlands. Luckily both had hacks that expanded the FOV.

Man was Turok a shitty game.

While FOV settings should've been there in the first place, I'm still glad FOV is going to be in DE:HR PC.

Very rare to see this in PC games, except for some pure shooters where you often can edit it in the .ini. If it's an in-game option that's very rare indeed. Nice :) Bioshock, Witcher II and many, many PC games has this problem and the devs didn't seem to care.

There's even a forum dedicated for issues with widescreen and FOV settings called widescreengaming forums, there's tons of hacks or user created programs to fix many problems with PC games there, highly recommended.

The only 3D game that really made my head spin was Project: Eden. The constant change of player character probably was the culprit.

You're not kidding. If I had a top 10 worst games list, that would be on it. I didn't punish myself for long though… I quit on the 4th or 5th level. :)

I have played worse. Much worse.

For example.

Still, Turok was pretty bad. Played, looked and controlled like crap.

TUROK was coherent. Graphics fine, almost bugfree, decent voiceacting. It was the traditional 60% first-person shooter that did what it intended to do, without any extras. Some brief and forgetable entertainment. At that, it ended up in the same realm as BlackSite: Area 51 and Clive Barkers: Jericho.

I reserve "top 10 worst games" to when you need something like sociology or social psychology to even begin to explain how a game even reached the market, and that study is more interesting than the game itself. Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods is for example a very interesting game that you really cannot explain if you do not know it's background.

For me, headbob (or any other type of camera-jerking) is far worse that FOV in terms of nausea - I always try to turn it off.

I don't think I've ever had an issue with FoV in any game. I've played games pretty intensely for many years and I've never felt bad - physically - as a result of playing any of them.

Still, it's nice to know they care :)

For me, headbob (or any other type of camera-jerking) is far worse that FOV in terms of nausea - I always try to turn it off.

This^, headbob is much worst for motion sickness.

What is actually meant with the term "FOV option" ?

Only time I got truly nauseous was when manning a turret in Star Wars Galaxies with another player being the pilot.

Back
Top Bottom