Crysis: an impressions, anyone?

Remus

Antihero
My year end new games started to arrive since last week; Cod 4: Modern Warfare, The Orange Box, Bioshock and today i got Crysis. The thing is my rig still lacking 8800GT - which was delayed, so i could only looking the new games or sniffing at the shinny game's boxes, or reading the included game guides....damn...

So, anyone got and played the Crysis yet, impressions/preview? No spoiler though!

This IS the Non-RPG forum, so it would seem like an appropriate question that just might get an answer or two.

I have it and it installed, but I have to finish last week's games first ;)

It's a great game, hands down the best FPS released this year. Gamespot gave it a 9.5, and for once I actually agree with them.

Installing it now. Got the nice metal box too. (Come to think of it, I almost have enough of those to start a collection -- Bioshock, Jade Empire, now Crysis...)

I disagree. It's got far better graphics than FC but slightly inferior gameplay. Nothing revolutionary though, and if you've played FC I can't see why you should be playing this, unless you are an FPS freak.

To the OP: I don't see any RPGs in your list. Playing only and a lot of FPSs is a bit of unhealthy IMO. Portal in Orange Box is quite good though, but very short ~ 3 hours.

Not a good initial impression: the installer installed something called "GameSpy Comrade" without prompting -- including (1) desktop shortcut, (2) quickstart tray shortcut, *and* (3) run on startup. Ob-NOX-ious. Oh well, here goes nuffin'...

Oh, and, AVG reports a "threat." So it didn't even start. Wonderful.

That's true. But Gamespot's 9.5 is inflated as usual. 9.5 should be reserved for all time classics.

That's true. But Gamespot's 9.5 is inflated as usual. 9.5 should be reserved for all time classics.

I agree 100%, out of the hundreds of games I've played in my lifetime, There's less than 5 that I would rate higher than a 9, BG2 and Gothic 1&2 come to mind. I like to think I have very high standards though.

That being said I still think Crysis is a great game, I won't rate it yet because I'm not very far into the game, but I definitely think it's better than any FPS(full length) I've played yet this year.

Initial impressions still a bit "meh." Frame rates don't hold up very well; if I get a broader vista, it gets close to slide show quality no matter what I do to the settings. It doesn't look anywhere near as good as the screenshots either. This may be more sophisticated under the hood, but on my rig (so far) Far Cry plays way better.

I'm pretty sure this is due to some bottleneck somewhere that just needs a tweak to the .ini file (or my GPU driver, or something else) to fix. I guess I'll wait a while until the tweak gurus have got it down.

Come to think of it, I'll have to check if there's been a driver update over the past few weeks...

Athlon 64 X2 3800+ OC'ed to 4800+ spec, GF 8800 GTS 320 MB, X-Fi.

Downloading the latest drivers. Perhaps it'll help.

BTW, why do you feel that a newer game should play worse than an older one? Bioshock, for example, played extremely well on my system. Half-Life: Episode 2 looked better and plays better than HL2. Just 'cuz a game is new doesn't mean it can't scale down gracefully to what is still pretty decent hardware -- *and* look better than a 3-year-old game turned up to the max.

Sorry, I also meant to ask what settings are you using? You're not trying to run it on the "very high" setting are you?

*Edit* Nevermind, I guess I missed the part in your post where you said you tried all the settings.

It runs good for me at 1280x1024 on "high" settings. I have AF maxed out, but I don't have AA enabled.

Core 2 Duo 6700, 2 gigs, and Radeon X1950XTX

The newer drivers made a lot of difference. I'm initially running at everything set to "medium," and it runs (mostly) OK. Still looks worse than FarCry, though, which is a bit of a disappointment.

my impressions is its games such as this (technology and graphics over substance and story) that add nothing to pc gaming other than the need for people to upgrade their os and hardware and are if anything a serious bane to those who wish to see pcs rather than consoles be the driving force.

no need for me to try the demo as the 8 bucks i payed for far cry would have been better spent on a homeless person.

guess i'm just a hater today...

Hmmm, I wonder why it's running so bad on that card, an 8800GTS is actually a little faster than my X1950XTX. I wonder if it's the 320mb of video memory, as opposed to 512mb, that's holding you back.

There's a big difference in quality between the "medium" and "high" settings in that game, on "high" it looks better than Far Cry imo. The "very high" setting looks absolutely incredible, too bad there isn't video card out there that can run it with decent framerates.

my impressions is its games such as this (technology and graphics over substance and story) that add nothing to pc gaming other than the need for people to upgrade their os and hardware and are if anything a serious bane to those who wish to see pcs rather than consoles be the driving force.

no need for me to try the demo as the 8 bucks i payed for far cry would have been better spent on a homeless person.

Seriously, what impressions are you referring to if you haven't even tried the demo yet? You obviously don't know anything about the "substance and story" of Crysis, so why attempt to put it down?

Hmmm, I wonder why it's running so bad on that card, an 8800GTS is actually a little faster than my X1950XTX. I wonder if it's the 320mb of video memory, as opposed to 512mb, that's holding you back.

There's a big difference in quality between the "medium" and "high" settings in that game, on "high" it looks better than Far Cry imo. The "very high" setting looks absolutely incredible, too bad there isn't video card out there that can run it with decent framerates.

Yep, I tried it at "high" and it did look good, but very stuttery. I've tried turning individual settings up and so far all of them have caused a significant drop in frame rate. I'll have to experiment more to find the right balance of settings; I'm sure there's one out there.

Back
Top Bottom