Mount&Blade - Warband GDC Hands-On @ Gamespot

magerette

Hedgewitch
Amidst the slew of GDC articles at Gamespot is this hands-on look at Warband, the multiplayer expansion to Taleworld's Mount & Blade, presently in beta. The article is subtitled Castle Seiging, Melee, and Dying Horribly:
In Warband's multiplayer, life is cheap, and death by crushed skull or arrow-in-the-throat happens all the time. In several cases, while we made our feeble attempts to set up ladders, we took well-placed arrows from defending soldiers clean in the face. Warband's archery, like its swordplay, isn't a simple, button-mashing deal—it requires precision and careful timing. Your accuracy when firing an arrow is extremely compromised if you're on the move and will also decrease if you nock an arrow and hold it too long. Fortunately for us, our opponents were already extremely high up the game's learning curve and had no trouble feathering us with arrows multiple times before we made it up into the castle. Once inside, we experienced the chaotic and brutal nature of Warband's melee combat—repeatedly.
More information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fixed ... I think. Thanks GhanBuriGhan (do you have a shorter nickname?) and Google. ;)

Fixed … I think. Thanks GhanBuriGhan (do you have a shorter nickname?) and Google. ;)

With husky voice: My friends call me Ghan, wheeeeze...

Thanks, Arhu--and sorry for the inconvenience. I'm out of practice. :)

The good part with dieing is that you respawn almost instantly in starting location so you don't miss much of the action . In single player going Mongol instead of European (tactician, standing in a hill instead of galloping into the battle) was always the best choice looks like this will be the case in WB too.
My only concern is that with updated graphics 100 people battle may slow down the game.

I think that large number of NPCs slowing down the game is because it seems to be more CPU dependent than GPU dependent. I played it on an X2 4800+/7600GT 256MB and an Intel P8600/ATI 4850 512MB and there wasn't much difference in performance, although the Intel was a bit smoother but the CPU is a bit "better" than the 4800+.

Just not really interested in this at all. Not my type of game for online play(mainly only play FPS online, or more specifically TFC and Fortress Forever). I wish that they had emphasized the RPG elements more and expanded upon the plot line, game scripting modernization(at least dump in python if not lua), etc. in a single player game expansion. I really fear that this may be a bust for them and spell the end of Tale Worlds...

Back
Top Bottom