Is it worth to buy a PS3 for crpg-gaming?

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
I'm a PC Gamer.
I hear good things about

Dark Souls
Demon's Souls
Valkyria Chronicles
White Knight Chronicles
Agarest: Generations of War

These games are for console-only.

Is it worth to buy a PS3 for crpgs?

Depends on if you have the money to burn. I don't think I'd consider the first 2 CRPGs though. I haven't played the other 3. Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are good games though but they are ARPGs. I think I've heard of some other good titles not on your list that would be worth playing but can't remember them.

I have mostly been a PC gamer until very recently.

When I first heard about Demon's Souls I wanted to get a PS3 just to play it. The high price of a PS3 back then could never justify that, but I finally decided to get a PS3 recently for about $200 (Black Friday deal) as I was planning to get a blu-ray player anyway.

I don't regret the purchase at all - Demon's Souls has been awesome so far. And I have Dark Souls waiting in the wings for when I finish that one. I'm also planning to get Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls eventually, which is on PSN.

I still have much to learn about PS3 RPG offerings but hope that helps somewhat.

Beyond the games the PS3 is a good general media player / streaming movies / TV shows, and of course the blu-ray playback. So I think the PS3 is a great value especially now that it has come down to a reasonable price.

Beyond the games the PS3 is a good general media player / streaming movies / TV shows, and of course the blu-ray playback. So I think the PS3 is a great value especially now that it has come down to a reasonable price.

Don't forget the ability to download older Playstation games as well. I agree, The PS3 is definitely worth the cost, and there are some worthwhile non-RPG titles for the system as well.

Its worth it, its not that expensive anymore, and you can get an used one anyway.
I am primary into pc gaming, or more precisely computer gaming, as ill always consider the amiga as a superior platform :) . But things are evolving, most of the best of the year pc games are just xbox360 ports without using any of the machine specifics, just have to look at skyrim, you even have to use mods to improve your perfs. Its even worse for ps3 games, lot of them are not adapted.

All the titles you mention are very well worth playing, valkyria profile turned out to be much more strategic and deep that i was expecting. Dont be fooled by the anime graphics, theres plenty of features i only find in games the like of jagged alliance, cover, use of terrain, companion interactions affecting their stats, really an excellent surprise.Dark souls already said it, is in my opinion the best title of this year, over skyrim and witcher2.
You should also try the non rpg exclusive, while you are at it, now you can find them around 20 euros or so, god of war 3, uncharted are really spectacular.
I am also testing Jrpgs, and frankly they arent more linear or as dumbed down as a mass effect game.

There's hardly anything to cover on pc anymore for 2012, i dont feel excited by the worthplaying list .Its the ground of mmorpg , probably not for long consoles can do it too , some rts (ruse sequel ) , maybe x-rebirth,the new elyseum ((by dominion 3 makers)a few mediocre indies and thats about all.Oh yes diablo 3, and thats just an hack and slash.

I started playing games on the PC like many others of you, but indeed I suggest to BUY IT and don't look back, there are many enjoying games on Sony console ;).
I'm very pleased to see that I'm not the only one that consider Demon's/Dark Souls probably the best game on PS3 :) also, there's Playstation Network which is free, and IIRC there are also gems such as FF 6-9, Chrono Trigger plus other hidden gems.
Also, if you like the genre, grab God of War just to have some hack and slash fun, and maybe Metal Gear Solid 4: those games alone were the reason why I bought PS3 ;).

Nope, it's not worth buying it just for rpg.
Like all the other said, if you are willing to see the bigger picture it's totally worth it!
There are some great games at PS3!

More questions:

1) Do I need an extra HDMI/DVI adapter-cable to connect the PS3 to a 19"-TFT with a DVI-input? (Monitor= NEC Multisync 90GX2)

2) The native resolution of the NEC is 1280x1024 - is this supported by the PS3 or will the gfx-output be stretched?

3) Can I connect a the PS3 audio signal to an analog amplifier (Yamaha AX 397 B)?

More questions:

1) Do I need an extra HDMI/DVI adapter-cable to connect the PS3 to a 19"-TFT with a DVI-input? (Monitor= NEC Multisync 90GX2)

2) The native resolution of the NEC is 1280x1024 - is this supported by the PS3 or will the gfx-output be stretched?

3) Can I connect a the PS3 audio signal to an analog amplifier (Yamaha AX 397 B)?

1) Yes, I think so (I got one too).

2) IIRC, it should be supported.

3) I don't know, sorry.

I would delay the purchase until you decide to connect it to a FullHD-TV. ;)

More questions:

I'm also in the process of buying a PS3 and connecting it to my monitor. So maybe my thread will be of some help to you. But, it's recommended that you have a monitor that has the native resolution at either 1920x1080 or 1280x720, so the image won't be stretched. Certain monitors can handle the 1:1 ratio, so they will probably not stretch it, but add black bands to keep the ratio correct.

Here are two articles that Mortmal pointed to, that should help you.
Connect your PS3 or Xbox 360 Elite to your monitor - I can be a great HD experience
Enjoying your PS3 with good surround sound - 2.1 or 5.1 or 7.1

I originally got my ps3 simply to play Red Dead Redemption. Before that, the only console experience I had was buying a ps1 for my son 10-12 yrs ago. I've had pc's since the early 80's, and really prefer them. With that said, the ps3 truly does have good games for it, I've got RDR, Demon Souls, Dark Souls, and White Knight Chronicles so far, and will probably get more games in the future. Had any of these been available for the pc, I would have bought them without a second thought!!

-Carn

most are 720p I think and, yes, it's not worth buying one for just RPG's.

I have bought the ps3 for mostly for RDR, but have enjoyed many other games since then. Just finished the GoW3 RPG ;), starting AC Brotherhood.

With a PS3, don't you have access to old PS1 games for download as well? That would definitely make it worth it. Download the laundry list of good RPGs that came out for the PS1 and have a ball. I may end up doing the same thing, buying a second hand PS3 just for the downloadable PS1 stuff.

Is it worth it for CRPGs? Absolutely not. But there are a lot of really good games out for the system. It's just that you mentioned CRPGs, as in hardcore PC RPGs. That's how I interpret CRPG, anyway. There are the multi-platform games, like Skyrim, of course, but the exclusives are mostly action RPGs and JRPGs. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Personally, for those, I'd go to Xbox 360. I have both systems. Xbox Live beats PSN any day.

Oh, and are you allergic to Japanese anime? Because you'll find that a lot more in RPGs on the consoles (because they're Japanese. ;)).

Aren't most games restricted to 1280x720 or lower resolution on the PS3?

Why would they be restricted? Practically most games only use 720p or even slightly less due to lack of performance, but if the devs are clever enough games can support native 1080p. Example: Sacred 2.
Same for the XBox 360. Both consoles suffer from having less RAM than most cellphones nowadays. ;)

More questions:

Yes - that is how I'm connecting mine. The PS3 has standard analog RCA cables to connect audio output, in addition to the digital options. I think I just had to change a setting in the PS3 system settings to make sure the audio was routed correctly (instead of going through the HDMI cable).

Those last 3 games look like nightmares. Babies fighting cute critters, cel shaded tank combat and that last thing with the little girl anime shrieking. JRPGs are appalling creatures, aren't they?

Back
Top Bottom