Syria getting ugly in a hurry

Mohammed Yassin, a 45-year-old Palestinian in Gaza said Obama did not look like the "tough guy Bush was". Employing an Arab nickname for Obama, derived from his Kenyan father's name, Yassin said, smiling: "Abu Hussein has no balls."
I do not believe it's politically correct to give a 45-year old person who sounds like a 14-year old media attention. People may confuse the statement with other Palestinians and that's racist.

You do know you can't trust those Iranian officials to be honest, right? Also who cares about what a random Palestinian dumbfuck has to say?

Crap like this pours gasoline on the fire more than Israel doing routine missile testing. :rolleyes:

You know me- I prefer an "earthy" take on the situation. But let's hear from the ivory tower elite, shall we? Taken from the same article:
Abdulaziz al Sager, chairman of the Gulf Research Centre, said Obama's decision "reflects a lack of resolve", something he said had been evident since the beginning of the Syrian crisis:

"There is a deep sense of disappointment in the Gulf region with the president's decision to seek the Congress's approval."

Anthony Cordesman of Washington's Center for Strategic and International Studies wrote that Obama had to show real leadership, "not overreaction, sudden reversal and uncertainty".
Yezigh Sayigh of the Carnegie Middle East think tank in Beirut said that the absence of a Syria policy was why Obama appeared to be "dithering", and this arguably reflected Washington's wider struggle to engage with the region since the Arab uprisings of early 2011.

I do not believe it's politically correct to give a 45-year old person who sounds like a 14-year old media attention. People may confuse the statement with other Palestinians and that's racist.
Unless you're claiming that Palestinians are a seperate race unto themselves (and I'm shocked and appalled at your uneducated neanderthal attitudes, good sir!), that would not be racist. You can't even call it nationalist since there's no such nation currently and the people in question merely self-identify out of tradition.

Seriously... insulting the president for dithering and lack of leadership serves the purposes of his political detractors and those arabs that would like the US to get trapped. He has made a decision. He's not going to send troops. We all know Congress can't get get anything effective done. Rather smart decision, I'd say. This serves our country and the world's interest best rather than getting embroiled in another conflict. Just saying.

I agree with keeping the hell out of that quagmire of loons, but if that was to be our policy, he probably shouldn't have run his mouth in the first place. Basically, he wrote a check his butt couldn't cash with his "red line" gambit and now the whole world knows it. Then, he was stupid enough to double down with a threat of military action he didn't have the constitutional authority to make. So, in the interest of him creating a couple soundbytes to manufacture the illusion of some spine on foreign affairs, he completely undercut the credibility of an entire nation. Fine work, Mr. President.

Oh Bush already managed to ruin our nation's credibility. At least Obama is showing some common sense, rather than kneejerk reactions. This actually gains respect across the board, despite what his political detractors and enemies of the country say, who both want him and anything he proposes to fail to serve their own selfish interests. Rather traitorous behavior...

At least Obama is showing some common sense, rather than kneejerk reactions.
How can you even type that, Thrasher? I know you're a dedicated apologist for anyone on the left end of things, but Barack's entire approach to Syria can only be described as one contradictory kneejerk reaction after another.

I'm sure you'd like to see the nigger lynched, but I think backtracking, when you've known you've made a mistake is a sign of maturity and honesty.

As apposed to Bush's (and Republican) continued idiocy in the face of facts and reason. Failed Reaganomics being the BIGGEST screwup you won't back down from… Iran being probably the second.

I'm sure you'd like to see the nigger lynched
That's completely baseless, well off point, and fairly insulting. I'd ask you to retract such garbage immediately.

Please. The racist policies of Republican party are not baseless.

You started the trolling session today. and YOU started the fucking namecalling, so … just go fuck yourself.

EDIT: There you got a good reaction out of me. I'm sure that was you're intent by by making your troll posts. Don't pretend to be insulted. What a load of bullshit. I won't insult you if you stop being an rude idiotic troll.

Please. The racist policies of Republican party are not baseless.

There is a HUGE difference between the 'racist GOP' and what you said to DTE.

That was WAY out of bounds and unfair and you REALLY owe an apology for that,.

Oh Bush already managed to ruin our nation's credibility.
This is undeniably true - by being an anti-constitutional war criminal who flaunted any sense of world order or desire for peaceful coexistence.

At least Obama is showing some common sense, rather than kneejerk reactions.

Um ... no. I cannot see anything but political gamesmanship here. Of course, since the GOP has allowed our country (with the exception of their $$$ friends who actually control all power, of course) to languish while heaping blame on Obama while simultaneously blocking every action ... it is more like a pissing contest.

Either way it is pure politics, and not common sense.

I'm sure you'd like to see the nigger lynched, but I think backtracking, when you've known you've made a mistake is a sign of maturity and honesty.

As apposed to Bush's (and Republican) continued idiocy in the face of facts and reason. Failed Reaganomics being the BIGGEST screwup you won't back down from… Iran being probably the second.

One trick pony, can't think, only has the race card to pull. He said the same kind of crap towards me, except it doesn't hold much water since I voted Obama and gave 1500 to his campaign. Surprise surprise he's just completely full of crap.

Racist and braindead. I'll be happy to PM proof to someone I can trust not to reveal my name and address, such as dteowner.

No troll deserves an apology. He deserves every insult in the book.

DTE is far from a troll - you and he disagree vehemently ... but he is intelligent and has many areas where he disagrees with 'talking points'.

There are many - oh, say, the majority of the Tea Party - who would fit the description of what you say DTE desires ... but that has nothing to do with him, and it really isn't fair to paint him with that same brush.

Racist and braindead. I'll be happy to PM proof to someone I can trust not to reveal my name and address, such as dteowner.
While I appreciate the vote of confidence, I don't see much point. The folks that won't believe you aren't going to believe "you, as verified by me" either.

My only prob with what Obama did is somewhere close to what dte said.
1. Red line would change the way Obama views things
2. Red line (probably) crossed by Assad.
3. Obama says he will strike because red line was crossed:
a. First problem, UN hadn't finished investigation and you'd think that since the US funds quite a lot of the UN, they'd at least wait for them to finish, even if the results would not indicate blame in the end, it would at least give more information on the type of weapon used.
b. However, this point does make sense as it shows consequences to crossing the Red Line.
4. Obama goes to Congress for a vote
a. Good thing about this would be that it's what is legally required of him (as far as I understand US law) and would give him the legitimacy he needs within the US
b. Bad thing here is that he said he would strike already. So it seems like he's backtracking.

I would venture to say that some people in his War Room have told him that attacking would require to choose between :
a. a full-on "A la Libya" assault (no boots on the ground). So no-fly zone, destroying Assad's armor lines...
b. limited strikes on some key facilities (military airports, communication links,...)

The other option would be to do nothing.
Doing a. would be the most "successful" course of action, but would risk getting the whole region involved in a war and there's no telling what Russia would do.
Doing b. would barely do much and the risks are almost as high as a.

I assume he told himself : "Fuck this, I'm going home to my wife and kids" and went to Congress to shut the door on the strikes.

Because by the time they agree to it, new reports will say all the important assets were moved ahead of the strikes.

An article with some thoughts on the importance of the U.N. - which some here are all to ready to disount, it seems.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/04/opinion/on-syria-a-un-vote-isnt-optional.html?hp&_r=2&

Personally I really hope the USA puts all their evidence on the table before striking - the memory of the US "proof" for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq is still fresh in everyones memory. So for once I agree with Putin (shudder) - show us the evidence. No "trust us" please - 'cause we don't.
If the evidence is solid, I would support a painful punishing action against the perpetrators of the chemical attack. Won't help solving the conflict one bit, but the ban of chemical weapons is an important barrier, that deserves being defended.

Back
Top Bottom