Ultima VII Part I - Retrospective Video

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
The Extra Credits Youtube channel uploaded a new eight minute video retrospective of Ultima VII: The Black Gate. Some of you may enjoy it so give it a watch.

James Recommends Ultima VII, a groundbreaking game that set the bar for open world, exploration rich CRPGs. It remains a classic to this day, revered as one of the best RPGs ever made with over 200 hours of gameplay in a immersive medieval fantasy world. While the graphics and UI systems have grown clunky with age, the powerful narrative with famous characters like the Guardian make it well worth playing today.
More information.

Definitely among my top ten RPGs, but I liked the story of Serpent Isle more. I remember that the portraits and the paper doll inventory were stunning the first time I play it.

What can be said about Ultima games that hasn't been said before. Yes I even liked U9, not only liked but enjoyed it.
Though I could not watch this video at all, the person in. Well lets just say I it was unwatchable for myself.

One of my all time favorite games.

Strange to think the ultima/wing commander games were instramental in pushing forward the specs of computers at the time.

This game was definitely for hardcore gamers. You needed to sleep and eat regularly. I remember spending a lot of my time making dough (flour plus water from a well) and baking bread. Every time you casted a spell it consumed the ingredients so you needed to be on the constant lookout for them, but in the expansion of Part 2 there was a ring that allowed you to cast spells without consuming them.
I always loved the magic system in the Ultima games. In U8 Pagan, you had 4 schools of magic (3 that you can learn), with different spells and completely different ways of casting them.
Amazing games!

Its very playable today with exult.

Ultima 7 remains my favorite game of all time.
It had a fantastic story that hooks you from the start, interesting characters, an incredibly immersive and interactive world, and the unforgettably evil and spooky Guardian. But for many of us at the time, this game was a love/hate relationship thanks to the Voodoo Memory Manager that must've been programmed by the Guardian himself.

After its release, I spent countless hours on the Origin BBS, and racked up some huge phone bills, reporting bugs and trading hints and tips. I know Todd Howard is also a huge Ultima 7 fan… He bought some collectable Ultima games from me in the late 90's. At that time, I knew him as Todd Who?

This is the only game I have ever had to make a phone call to the developer to get working.

Also, was this the game (or was it U6) where there was a bug that if you slept with keys in your inventory they might disappear? That had to be one of the crummiest bugs ever, mostly because it was such a great game. Pre-internet, so no patch, and there was exactly one key that opened a gate near the end that you couldn't get around any other way.

I really missed something as I didn't have a PC then, but playing it years and years later gave me the same sense of wonder at exploring a vibrant world and interacting with NPCs who had vibrant personalities.

Too bad about that rubbish combat though.

I found what I've played of Original Sin to make for a decent spiritual successor, but I don't think they nailed the exploration and feeling of wonder.

One of the best non-linear open world CRPGs. Great world interactivity, NPCs, branching questline, puzzles, dialog, lore and story. Crafting and spell system are great, too.
Only weak point: Combat.

If I remember right I bought a new computer for this game…

Last edited:
If only someone would have completed Exult 3D ....

Exult3D-12.jpg

Yes, I'd be playing this.

Wouldn't it make sense to remake this in the Original Sin engine? My only problem with U7 is the atrocious combat system - and OS combat would be perfect.

I'm embarrassed to say that I've still never done a complete playthrough of U7. :embarrassed:

I think this is on the list:
50 things every true CRPG player should have done before he dies ;)

So go ahead.

Wouldn't it make sense to remake this in the Original Sin engine? My only problem with U7 is the atrocious combat system - and OS combat would be perfect.

That's the secret hope of Swen Vincke ;-)

He's a huge fan of Ultima 7 (except for its' combat system), and telling this in an interview about Divinity OS, he mentionned (and hoped) people could remake some very good old games with Original Sin editor...

I really like Divinity OS, but at the moment it really isn't at the level of ultima 7. Sure it has the view and it definitely has the look...however, it is missing day/nigh, npc scheduals...and a general reason for a lot of things to be there.

Also, Ultima really excelled at the morality system which is sort of in divinity but not to the level of ultima, where the whole system was ingrained throughout the game.

Now, if only they could get the rights to develop a new ultima then I could really see them getting it done. Also, I think combat would have to be looked at a bit more because in divinity a lot of the combat areas are prescripted where in ultima it was more random.

For the people who are reluctant to try U7 because of hivemind opinions: combat is hardly atrocious because it's resolved very quickly. A single triple crossbow with enchanted bolts will mow down (almost ;) ) everything. And if you don't have a party of 8, there should be few friendly casualties. :)

Back
Top Bottom