Original Sin - Goes Beta

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
The Early Access of Divinity Original Sin has turned from Alpha to Beta yesterday on Steam with a big list of changes accompanying it. I did notice that my beta key on the Larian Vault has not been enabled yet though.

Here is a list with only a part of the changes, as the list is too long:

CODE:
- Added pickpocket mechanic
- Added more crafting mechanics
- Much more accurate picking
- Added "guard" feature. This will delay your turn until the end of the round
- Added a large amount of new statusses
- Added environment/weather system
- Added a lot of new AI routines to give more intelligence to NPCs and enemies
- You can hit surfaces with melee weapons now.
- A lot of enhancements to pathfinding
- Poison clouds will react to fire damage now
- NPCs can use cone based spells now
- Added new SSAO option
- Added Chat UI
- Added invulnerable status
- Added CanSee and CanShoot calls to AI
- Show game over screen when players are dead
- Sitting or sleeping now heals the character
- NPCs can open doors now
- Added correct descriptions to potions and consume results
- Added new shovel system
- Show overhead text on answers of other players in multiplayer
- Character can enter sneak now in combat
- Added touch skill animations
- Added file packing to further decrease load times
- Added continue button to main menu
- Completely revised character creation system
- Added first tutorial system
- Added system to better manage status visuals
- Added Ash and Ice death models
- Oil will slow players down
- You can start a single- or multiplayer game
- Added effect when hitting with elemental damage weapons
- Added camera interpolation system
- Added texture packer to decrease load times
- Added rain of arrows skill
- Added trap detection talent
- Physics for character will animate now
- Added weatherproof talent
- Added Vase container
- Added new cursors for ground attacks
- Added toggle armour to character creation screen
- Added 3D scene to main menu
- Added system to highlight all characters in you view
- The camera will focus better now on events happening during combat
- Added intro video
Here is the accompanying video

More information.

Last edited:
Good thing you did not post this (edit: the day before) yesterday ;)

Still stretches my credibility meter a bit that the game is in honest to goodness beta state though. If they can indeed do "Spring" in the end Ill 'be more than happy, naturally :)

Funny if they manage to synchronize with LoX though, that will give me a happy headache…
(for a couple of minutes or so. Will be installing D:OS in the end ;) )

P.S. And yeah, very nice tralier indeed!

Last edited:
Really looking forward to this one. :)

Has there actually been any information about the companions? It's been their $800k stretch goal to have "deep" companions instead of shallow henchmen. How many of them will be there? How many will you be able to take with you? Will there be personal quests? How will they interact with the main char, the "2nd main char" and with each other?

Edit: Ok, I just found some info in KS update #53. That's all I guess?

A lot of drool factor in that video... must combine heavy-work-load-spell™ with forgetfulness-spell™ on myself to not play D:OS before version 1.0.

Reading the list, the question that comes to my mind is : "Which version of AD&D is used by this system ? ". No cynicism intended here though, as I feel my patience's really put to the test with this game ; can hardly wait for the final release !

I played co-op with my friend a bit (2h) yesterday when it got out and i can say that its nearly finished-i did encountered one bug but nothing serious. It ran really smooth.

I just wish there were more environmental sounds in the game like ppl chatting/screaming on the market, dogs barking etc. because on moments world seems to plastic. Music is great though but game really needs more environmental sounds to make u feel right about the place.

I have resisted the urge to play the alpha so as not to spoil anything for my first actual playthrough... Probably won't play the beta.. or maybe I'll just try it to play around with character creation but not play very far in the game.

I just wish there were more environmental sounds in the game like ppl chatting/screaming on the market, dogs barking etc. because on moments world seems to plastic. Music is great though but game really needs more environmental sounds to make u feel right about the place.

Environmental sounds require a delicate balance though because if done in excess I find they just get extremely annoying. Like the awful ones in NWN; I went insane hearing the same stupid bits of conversation over and over. "Has your daughter's leg healed?" "Oh yes it has. She's up and about now" "Glad to hear it." Ahhh!!!! But I wouldn't mind some if done well and preferably with the option to disable them.

I'm still managing to keep myself occupied enough to not play the beta..getting more impatient though x) *runs off to be occupied*

Great trailer. :) Makes me really mouth-watering. :)

I really do hope hope hope that this will become a success ! :) And if so - it might even be the beginning of an new era in RPGs ! :) *so excited*

I played a bit of the Alpha a couple months ago, and it was already very cool. Not fully playable, but the potential was there. Just played through the first couple "scenes" and two battles. Really nicely done.

Gonna check out the Beta, but will restrain myself from going any further than I already did.

At last, we will be able to play a quasi-medieval fantasy hero with an Afro :biggrin:.

I, too, will dip into beta, but will not stray too far from Cyseal. It was already very nice, but it's turning into a pretty thing and a tinkerer / tactician's dream, this Original Sin :cool:

Guess I know what present I will give some of my friends this year ;)

The beta already feels like a totally different game. It'll be hard for me not to go too far into the game this time...

Hopefully the environmental sounds the post above mentioned will be added under "polishing", as they talked about adding voices to the game in the polishing phase in this video. Haven't played the game yet, but I agree environmental sounds add a lot to the atmosphere and "immersion" factor of rpgs.

I played a bit more of the beta with a new party - still some bugs, which were there before (like vanishing sound effects/music) and new ones (my one PC was teleported from outside while castinga spell ;-) I have also noted some 'sticking' (can't finish my turn quickly) in turn-based combat, which is new too. It looks much more polished though. I see that there has been extensive re-tweaking of spells and powers, not sure I agree with all their changes. Also, people react with complete insane rage if you pick up any stuff - the guy who summoned you to Cyeal killed my entire party because someone picked up a scroll that belonged to him. No "Oi, put that down!" Just zzzzzzap. A little over the top. Especially when it is easy to click on things that are next to others. I'm going to leave it now until release, I already epxlored too much in the alpha.

I played a bit more of the beta with a new party - still some bugs, which were there before (like vanishing sound effects/music) and new ones (my one PC was teleported from outside while castinga spell ;-) I have also noted some 'sticking' (can't finish my turn quickly) in turn-based combat, which is new too. It looks much more polished though. I see that there has been extensive re-tweaking of spells and powers, not sure I agree with all their changes. Also, people react with complete insane rage if you pick up any stuff - the guy who summoned you to Cyeal killed my entire party because someone picked up a scroll that belonged to him. No "Oi, put that down!" Just zzzzzzap. A little over the top. Especially when it is easy to click on things that are next to others. I'm going to leave it now until release, I already epxlored too much in the alpha.

You might wanna pop over to the Larian forums and report those issues. Always helps to make a good game even better :)

Yeah boo, you really should let Larian know about this.

Back
Top Bottom