Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Fallout Tactics

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • All of Them

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • None of the Above

Votes: 6 8.6%

• Total voters
'none of the above'. Played Fallout 1 after it seemed according to people here that it was the best game ever ever in the history of game making OMG! … and didn't like it. Then played 2 since 'OMG OMG Guys it's really the bestest of the bestest!' and couldn't even finish it, didn't like it either. Played FO3 after the whole world said 'OMG! I'm Super Serious! If you don't play this game you're like the meanest person in the world!' and didn't really care for it.

Am I wrong thinking that you started them all with 10 in perception, endurance, strength and agility, but zero in intelligence, charisma and luck?

All were good (though I did start to get bored near the end of FO2 and I ended up an outcast from my own Vault having taken a more psychopathic path during the game than I perhaps would have intended…I should replay someday) but I have a particular fondness for NV with DLCs and mods along with FO3 + DLCs + mods. There was one mod for FO3 & NV where you could build your own robots from parts scavenged that I had a lot of fun with (when played with Marten's Monster mod) but was bitterly disappointed that my cyborg-dog would frequently crash the game.

So, since the poll asks which is your favorite Fallout game, 2 people have voted "None of the Above", and the only one not listed is FO:BoS...

That means that FO:BoS is 2 people's favorite Fallout?

So, since the poll asks which is your favorite Fallout game, 2 people have voted "None of the Above", and the only one not listed is FO:BoS…

That means that FO:BoS is 2 people's favorite Fallout?

That, or they didn't care enough for any Fallout to call it a favorite - though that's not strictly logical.

People on this site picking F3 is freaking me out. I thought RPGwatch as a collective hive mind had better taste...

F1 is the correct answer to the poll.

People on this site picking F3 is freaking me out. I thought RPGwatch as a collective hive mind had better taste…

Nah, we tend to disagree civilly about a lot of good RPGs here.

For me, in spite of all its technical limitations and crashes to the blue screen of death (as opposed to the gentlemanly crash to desk top), it is Fallout Vegas by a Vegas mile. I lived that game while I was playing it and any game that can subtlety bring in Peggy Lee's "Why don't you do right" as ambiance has some brilliance in its design in my book.

The original Fallout is a very very strong second. Great story, great music, great game play and the first game I can remember that had strong C&C for character set up. I wanted to cry when I couldn't get the stat goodies I wanted for my avatar. And that manual. My gawd what a manual. . . . never thought that would be the good ol days.

People on this site picking F3 is freaking me out. I thought RPGwatch as a collective hive mind had better taste…

While I'm not scared when human beings turn out to be conceited and selfish, I must say I'm a little bit surprised how closed-minded so many Watch members seem to be.

I mean, it's one thing to consider oneself objective in terms of taste - which is merely arrogant and delusional - but to be open about it is of some concern ;)

I am going to put in another nod for F3. It is an unabashed weird and fun experience. From being born to running up to strangers after the apocolypse and asking, "Have you seen my dad?", there is some innate weirdness that is just out there but has the virtue of not being forgettable. The locations had a lot of neat set-pieces that I haven't seen the like of in any other game. Secret suburban cannibals, memory machines, a talking tree, a wierd child city to a hip dj giving a shout out to everything you did… This game went a whole lot of places and it just worked.

F1 and F2 were good for the era, but they just teased this far-out wonderland that F3 actually delivered. A lot of that is the technology but it is also Bethesda got it, took what was fun and ran with a fearless creativity (did I mention how strange it is?). FNV took a toned down, more cohesive approach as opposed to F3 and it didn't have as much magic to me.

Last edited:
I am going to put in another nod for F3. It is an unabashed weird and fun experience.

The robot curator with the George Washington wig in the underground museum is one of the most memorable & genuinely fun(ny) moments I ever experienced in a game. Never could understand all the hate FO3 got from diehard fans of the series, though I'll wager a guess that it's just because of that - they're die-hard fans. For great C&C, I agree that FO1 is fantastic. Quite possibly the best C&C content in the history of gaming.

gee let me think :)
gotta say FO2 , I mean FO1 was fantastic and I replayed it a bunch of times but I loved 2 and still replay it today (have a game as a slaver which actually makes me feel bad.. unlike FO3 where I was just dying to sell all those kids to slavery) :D
FO3 is a piece on money making Garbage IMO but hey to each his own, some people like it when their choices don't matter in a RPG. but enjoy exploring in 1st person

gee let me think :)
gotta say FO2 , I mean FO1 was fantastic and I replayed it a bunch of times but I loved 2 and still replay it today (have a game as a slaver which actually makes me feel bad.. unlike FO3 where I was just dying to sell all those kids to slavery) :D
FO3 is a piece on money making Garbage IMO but hey to each his own, some people like it when their choices don't matter in a RPG. but enjoy exploring in 1st person

Nah, some of us like the freedom to make our own choices, rather than being forced to pick between a few pre-written lines in a dialogue.

That said, FO3 had several important dialogue choices - if the illusion of choice is enough for you :)

Nah, some of us like the freedom to make our own choices, rather than being forced to pick between a few pre-written lines in a dialogue.

That said, FO3 had several important dialogue choices - if the illusion of choice is enough for you :)

The first two Fallouts gave you the freedom to explore how and where you wanted to just as much as Fallout 3. But there were greater consequences for how the player did that because they did not have the level-scaling that Fallout 3 had.

And no, the illusion of choice is not enough for me.

The first two Fallouts gave you the freedom to explore how and where you wanted to just as much as Fallout 3. But there were greater consequences for how the player did that because they did not have the level-scaling that Fallout 3 had.

Um, did you ever play either of the first two fallouts? You have very little choice in what maps you go to, there is a specific order for quite a while before branching out.

Um, did you ever play either of the first two fallouts? You have very little choice in what maps you go to, there is a specific order for quite a while before branching out.

Uh, yes, I have played both of the first two Fallouts multiple times. You, sir, are incorrect.

Sounds like you played a different Fallout than I did. I remember the game ending because of that awful timer if I even considered going off the rail :)

Beyond that, Fallout can't touch FO3 when it comes to the sheer amount of unique locations and interesting stuff to find. Audio logs, the stories in terminals, etc.

Also, exploring in first person is simply much more satisfying and immersive to me, but to each his own :)

That said, Fallout is a fantastic game - and I did struggle deciding that FO3 is my favorite over the first game.

… but enjoy exploring in 1st person
This is huge to me. I love Arcanum, but if Bethesda took that game and put the love in to it they did F3, it would just be better. Show me, in detail, up close, let me look up and down. While you are at it, remove the broken skills and add modern gameplay conventions. F3 is beautiful, at least as stylish and creative as the first 2, and with more content than both combined.

Just a bit off topic, because a certain tenor to some posts reminds me of something. I have read the "glittering gems of hatred" lunacy, and there are some folk who put on menacing, aggressive internet personas at NMA and the Codex talking up particular old games like they were part of their own soul. They were good games, but they were flawed even in their time, and it doesn't get any better for them.

I have read the "glittering gems of hatred" lunacy, and there are some folk who put on menacing, aggressive internet personas at NMA and the Codex talking up particular old games like they were part of their own soul. They were good games, but they were flawed even in their time, and it doesn't get any better for them.

You mean you weren't aware that FO3 was developed by Satan himself? ;)

It was not. EA had nothing to do with it.

You mean you weren't aware that FO3 was developed by Satan himself? ;)

That was stated expressly at times back in the run up to F3's release! It was a spectacle to lurk about NMA forums, but they had the best news on the game. That was the place to get scans of any and every magazine preview of the game.

My perspective is that games are so far from perfection, they really mostly suck. That's true of about everything around period, not just games. So I have trouble not being critical of games I want to play badly or have enjoyed the most! The glass is not close to half-full or half-empty from where I am sitting, but what are you going to do when you need water?

Back
Top Bottom