The Totally NEW Team Corwin Thread

I tried that too in NWN and did rather well if I remember correctly. I stayed behind and let you do all the fighting while I used spells. Unfortunately you were used to me healing you and when you realized I was a sorcerer and not a cleric then you were already dead. So my sorcerer died when you were overwhelmed.

The group is vulnerable if the cleric doesn't instinctively heal others who are going to get into trouble. You need to put your eyes on the situation and protect the others instead of rushing in an join the fight. Too often the cleric understands the problem when it's too late. You try to heal, but the PC died before the spell got off. Or you try to heal only to realize the character in trouble is in another corridor. So being a good cleric is dependent upon your instinctive playing style. If you lack those instincts you will not be effective. The same with rogue. You have to instinctively feel where the traps and secret rooms can be so you can warn the group to stay behind and do your job. It's not fun to see the rogue running into a trap that incinerates the group while the rogue tumbles out of danger. Then the cleric has a lot of extra work that could have been avoided. Sometimes the rogue can't disable a trap and that's fine, but then we can cast protections and get across anyway.

Sorry C!

First thank you for trying to get me into the guild last night. By the time I noticed you asking I was already pissed off. I had been getting spammed by 2 players consistently asking me to join team and died several times because of it in the mission I was running. I moved the request window out of the way but something makes it hard to battle when it's up. I noticed you when I logged off in the tavern but by that time I was so pissed off I just left.

I really was there was a way to show that you are looking for a team or NOT looking so people leave you alone. I can't stand that requests just pop up in the middle of what you're doing whether in middle of battle or whatever. It's quite distracting. I much prefer it when people ASK you in chat instead of blind inviting you. If I paid any attention after I was already frustrated I would have noticed it was you towards the end. Sorry.

There are some really frustrating things about this game that make it not as fun to play for me. I guess it's the price you DON'T pay for a free game. :)

Most of the mission I was doing I was waiting at shrines to get healed and watching a movie on tv while periodically moving my mouse so as not to get disconnected. I can't afford buying health potions so I have to count on the shrines. At least on normal you can wait 15 minutes to use again.

In any case I was having a frustrating time last night. It happens. :)

You can set yourself to anonymous, actually. Hit 'o' to go into the social panel, and there should be a box you can check on the groups tab.

Won't save you when someone sees you and spams an invite, but it'll keep people from hitting 'o' and seeing you online. Rogues and Clerics are the most wanted members of a group in DDO.

This is actually a recurring thing in the suggestions forum for DDO. The way it's set up to always pop up and be the active window, is absolutely ridiculous.

The other day, before Aerii got in the guild, I got 15 party invites and 6 guild invites in one hour. That's when I started looking for a way to cut that back.

Favored Souls aren't always as well liked, because a lot of people don't take healing spells with them(!). I distinctly remember one I pugged with saying "I don't heal!" So the class has a bit of a stygma attached. I get tells asking if I heal with mine, but much fewer party invites.

FYI, you don't have to sneak to be sneak attacking with a rogue. Some one else just needs to have the monster's aggro.

I ended up in a quick pug in the Catacombs last night. A player started asking for help on what to do, because there was a skeleton that spawned where they couldn't reach it. Neither of them had a ranged weapon of any kind.

Seriously, you can get a returning throwing weapon out of a lucky crate drop, and they're actually cheap on the AH. There is no reason to not have ranged attacks.

I went in, blew it up, and then helped them finish the rest of the series. The last part was fun, as they didn't have any ghost touch weapons, and used one of the store items to open it on hard. 3 Wraiths are not fun even for me. Trust me, I'd already ran Delera's part 1.

So I went in, and several Divine Lights and Searing Lights later, finished the last part for them.

I dislike Delera's. The main part of the first quest in the series isn't too bad, but when you finish it and it automatically hits dungeon alert red for the number of physically immune skeletons spawning, it gets ridiculous. I lagged horribly, and then they couldn't even hit me.

So I slowly carved a way through them, 1d6 Pure Good damage at a time, and tried to run towards the exit. Nope, the entire dungeon got loaded with the suckers.

My repair bills were twice as high as what I pulled in. A bunch of +1 junk for far too much effort.

I have no intention of trying to solo the last part of Catacombs; I remember how tough it was with a group. Still, I did manage to solo all the way to cleanse the lower altars where Marg is.

T, this game IS frustrating for solo play; I think it is supped to be to encourage people to group up. I find that playing with even 1 other person makes the game MUCH easier and far less frustrating. You need to make more use of Skype; it's the best and quickest way to communicate with all the people here. I also find that using just the Guild chat channel cuts out a lot of the other interference, so I see messages more quickly.

Nah, the last couple of parts aren't hard. The only hard part to solo is when you're being chased. And even that, it's only when you're trying to pull a lever that it gets frustrating. A summons usually helps out there. Still thinking about rerunning it just to get a backup staff. You can get a Qstaff of PG there as a reward.

Anyone remember back to running the fake gem quest in the harbor? Is there some trick to keeping the kobold prophets alive? They keep chasing me around trying to die and there's too many other kobolds to just run the whole map without any attacks.

My Sorc got a really good staff from the end of Tangles. It gives you 3 charges per day of the level 3 animal summons. Saves a spell slot as well as being a good staff.

Hahahaha, oh boy, don't remind me of that one. Our group tried many times to finish that; we got close, even found the gem, but got swarmed and it was either kill or be killed, so we always lost.

I gave some thought to trying it with my cleric and casting command. If I can get the prophet to lie down, I can thin the rest of the herd and then take the occasional hit when the spell wears off and they start chasing me again.

Good luck, we tried Hypnotism, Sneak, Charm, Hold Person and none of them helped for long; they all ended up following us!! :)

I won't bother, then. There must be some trick to it.

Yeah, it's called "Run like hell". :p I've beat it, on normal, and that is basically my strategy. It's gotten harder as the shamans have gotten new spells since then, and can slow you as well as fear you.

Command (And Hypnotize) has a Will save, and the casters all have good will saves. Soundburst might be better, but risks killing them. Bard's Fascinate might be better since it works differently from spells, but you'd only have 3-4 uses.

For the record, I didn't run it with most of my characters. Just my monk and paladin. Paladin hits her saves most of the time, Monk does too and runs faster than they can keep up with. It also remains the only harbor quest my Paladin hasn't soloed on Elite. Hasn't even ran on Hard.

I know the staff you're talking about, but I'd like one that adds more damage. Catacombs gives one of Pure Good. There's almost nothing in DDO that is immune to that extra damage. That's why it's so expensive to get a PG weapon in the AH. Acid is another good one with very few able to resist it.

I also PuG'ed Catacombs yesterday with my level 5 cleric, on elite. We completed it, but barely. One PC got so frustrating of dying so he left and I ran out of mana all the time trying to heal people attacking like mad. If it hadn't been for a warforged barbarian who had inherited items from his other level 20 characters we would have failed. The speed the people ran through the dungeons made my head spin. I can't imagine what Corwin would have said to that. Half the battles were almost over before I reached them. Some had haste and I had not. I got the XP and a pure good quarterstaff. So at least I got something useful out of a frustrating PuG.

You can set a flag Looking for group in the social -> Grouping panel. You can also search for others looking for group. So it's possible to invite those who want to be invited.

Last edited:
If you don't want that PG staff, you can 'lend' it to a certain caster in the Guild!! :)

It's bound to character. All quest rewards from Catacombs are bound. I already tried to send something from there to my Wiz. Then again, it might have been before I had a shared bank, so it may be bound to account.

If only staves were a bit more durable. This is the second time I've had mine on my Cleric torn up to the point where it needed 2k worth in repairs. Then again, I don't think DDO's devs expected anyone to make a go at using them as a regular weapon. I have two characters doing so now.

I am going to be out of town this week, so will have to be MIA for the game. Have fun all and don't let Peter run around in his underware again this week. ( So embarrassssssing!) :lol:

We could halt the Shan To Kor final chapters until you're back. Then I can bring my new cleric (level 6 now) and we can play something else.

Hey dte, I did that quest with my fighter at level 4. I just ran all the way to the gem and grabbed it but I was much higher level than you're supposed to be. I hate having quests outstanding. :) It also helped that I had the location memorized from a map I found on some webpage. The only bad thing is that by the time you get to the alter the dungeon is on red alert and you are completely surrounded. So, in the long run it prolly isn't worth it. LOL.

On a different note my rogue is now level 3 so that's something at least. :) I stopped her at The Cerulean Hills. Will goof off there tomorrow and see how far I can advance her.

It really isn't. Red Alert means that you have a higher chance of dying, though once you have the gem you're actually finished so it doesn't matter. You can even butcher the prophets from what I've heard.

I think that's one of the rare quests that are supposed to be done with stealth. Meaning only a Rogue, Monk, and Bard can do them normally. And my Monk and Bard both didn't bother putting any points into hide or move silently.

Picked up a +2 Acid staff, so I'm basically on par with what I had. The +2PG one I have slows mobs on a critical hit, which is better, but pure damage output they're identical. Still, I'm 3 parts into Catacombs on my second run in order to get that staff. A couple of back ups will never hurt, and it'll let me sell my heavy mace. I'll keep my ghost touch and flaming long swords, since those do slashing damage, and the ghost touch is required. At least until I find a GT staff. Then a Ooze Bane staff to replace Muckbane... :D

Back
Top Bottom