The Totally NEW Team Corwin Thread

32 point builds don't stack with Drows as they are already a 32 point build.

BTW, it was nice to hear all your voices on Friday. I popped onto DDO on Friday and saw that some of the guild was on. . . .ALL female names actually . . . . so I took a chance to jump on Skype. Nice to chatty you all. Hopefully I will be up and running with FULL use of Skype soon enough!

Loves ~T

At the levels we're at, I can easily make up the 1 or 2 levels I need to catch back up if I rerolled with a vet character. Only my Paladin would take some time, as she's level 7 now. Since she's a beast, I probably wouldn't change much, if anything, on her.

My Cleric could use some help though. But again, at level 5 I could easily make a new Cleric, and get her up to the same level within a few hours. My Rogue would actually start a level higher. Though, I found out when playing around with the feature (bought vet status), that you don't get a few of the nicer clickies from Korthos. Like the Waterbreathing Ring, or Feather Cloak.

How do you get them so high so quickly; took me a day or 2 to get them to level 3 and getting my guys to level 5 seems to be taking forever. I'm amazed you could solo some of those quests as one false step and you're dead. Tried to solo STK the Barricade; got to within a few metres of the end and got swarmed by glass spiders. The last one got me and by the time I could make it back to the interior dungeon, it had reset. 2 Hours wasted.

Simple; I play the hell out of my Paladin. :p And Paladins are more forgiving of slip ups, with high HP, high saves, and some self healing ability. Same for Clerics. I also play more than just with the group on Fridays, like Peter I play at random times all the time. Finally, I don't get lost near as easily as you do. :D I can still find my way around most of the dungeons in Bard's Tale without a map (at least until the spinners).

But if I have a Saturday open, I can easily get to level 3 with anything except an Arcane. I could even run to level 4 with luck. Usually by that point, I know if I hate a character. Now with vet status, I can more easily find out how much I dislike a build. :p

I think we can level more quickly now since we have a level 7 paladin and my level 6 paladin and cleric. It means we can do quests on hard and even some on elite. That should give your level 4 and 5 characters more XP. We won't be overwhelmed so often and spend a lot of time dying and resting to get back HP and mana before entering the dungeon again. You lose a lot of XP each time you die and leave the dungeon. I think it's 10% off the XP reward every time you die.

I do both, depending on character. My Cleric I play exclusively with the guild, because I just don't have any luck with pugs. Which is why she's been level 5 the entire time my Paladin has existed. But I did solo her through STK and a good chunk of the Market quests (not to mention Harbor and Korthos).

And we should be at the point where we can handle any Harbor quest on Elite, with alot of the free Market ones as well. Sharn, maybe not. My Paladin has done all the Harbor on Elite save WW and Stealthy Repossession. Those she's soloed up to Hard.

I'm mostly playing with the group with my cleric and paladin, but soloed a little bit to get to level 6. I planned for some nice extra enhancements and wanted to have them for the group. E. g. I have divine vitality 2 and divine cleansing 2 for my cleric. The former means I can boost mana for a companion with 5d4+10 per level instead of 3d4+10 per level. The latter means I can also cure curse and blindness of companions instead of only poison and disease. Those additions will be important with the quests for level 5 and higher characters. E. g. some monsters like clay colems inflict curse when you're hit. While you're cursed you can't be healed and that's quite devastating.

Another reason is that with slightly higher characters we can solve quests on higher difficulty giving the everyone more XP or solve quests we would otherwise fail. Some of the quests are quite hard. The key is to not have too big a gap between the different characters. So you can get maybe 3-4 levels higher than the lowest level character in the group, but not more. If you do then you won't get XP at all if you solve quests intended for the low level character or the low level character won't stand a chance if you do quests intended for you.

I thought the gap between levels without a penalty was 2. I'm sure I read that somewhere. Soloing casters and rogues is a challenge. I have no desire to play with pugs. Thus all my chars are either level 3 or 4.

Also known as nightmares for even remotely serious players. For a Cleric/FvS, they are an abomination.

Even my Paladin has troubles, since she has healing, often times I have to become the main healer in a party that already includes a Cleric! Either the cleric will not support the group, or the Cleric is overrun by the rest of the party scattering and getting killed. When in doubt, stick by your Cleric.

Rogues can be alot easier than Arcane casters (Divine casters are no challenge to solo, really. They can heal most damage and effects easily, and grant themselves immunity to traps once they get level 3 spells). You just have to build them with an eye towards doing solid damage in melee.

Thus mine totes two Dwarven Axes (1d10base + 1enchant +1Dwarf Enhancement + 3STR mod = 6-16 damage per hit, ignoring any damage boosting things like Frost or Flaming; or Backstabbing for that matter). With Backstabbing, I get 1d6 additional damage on top of that (7-22) and if I have a Frost/Flame etc weapon I get a 1d6 on top of that (8-28).

Since Rogues use the skill system of DnD, and not a lot of feats are really required, you have feats to burn towards building their damage potential. Past that, it's getting UMD up enough to self-heal with wands and scrolls. Mine just has enough to use a CLW wand semi-reliably. At level 3 (with 1 level of Fighter no less).

It's the same thing. :p I've gotten in the bad habit of mixing up terms in my head.

Yeah, the "backstab" is just the Rogue's sneak attack. You get it any time you attack a critter that's aggro'd or attacking another party member. And you get an extra d6 every other level still.

Is a pick up group the people that invite you to a group and then rush through some quests. Those are NOT nice at all to be in. Some players are experienced and have a plan to do the quest. Others are novices and run in all directions to get first to the loot and get killed as well. The problem with the experienced ones is that they know exactly what to do so they sprint through the dungeon. You have a hard time keeping up and often end up alone. The noviced die all the time so you have no chance to solve the quest. But the worst ones are those who join and when things get rough they suddenly drop out of the group leaving you almost alone with no chance to finish the quest. So you've wasted a lot of time for no reward at all.

So it's better to have a steady group to play with. At least we know Reywind the sorcerer will get lost and Peter the paladin won't see traps. :) So we can compensate for that by not rushing too much. Cm's fighter has got the task to get back to Corwin's sorcerer every time he gets lost so he rarely dies because of that now. My paladin can heal himself if a trap blasts him so he only dies if the trap insta-death.

I'm a bit puzzled how weak rogues are in DDO. Joe's rogue must have a very frustrating time in the dungeon because she picks up all the aggro and she has no armor to fend of the monsters. So her job seems to be running around in circles trying to avoid being hit while the rest of us hack at the monsters chasing her. Are there any skills that the rogue can learn to lose aggro? She should be able to hide in shadows and get out of sight from the mobs. So she can scout ahead and tell the paladin or fighter to move in position. Then we can use bows to pull mobs to us. But the mobs bypass the fighters and cleric and moves directly towards the rogue or sorcerer. That's a bit frustrating. In other MMO's the fighters can get skills that increase aggro and use them to intimidate the mobs so the rogue and sorcerer are not targeted anymore.

Fighters et al can use things like Intimidate to increase agro, if they remember to do so!! :)

Generally, the Rogue shouldn't be too far ahead of the group. Stealth really doesn't work well; sometimes I can be sitting right next to a Kobold or whatever and it will walk by. Others, a whole batch will rush in from three rooms over and attack.

Fighters and Barbs should be using intimidate to draw the groups, while the casters stand back and wait until everyone is engaged before casting Fireball. Paladins have an enhancement that causes mobs to target them more often.

Back
Top Bottom