Mass Effect 2 - Videos @ Gametrailers

This is the first video I've seen about M2. It looks pretty good. A little darker this time around.

Damn, thats some heavy spoilers right there. This is why I shouldn't watch trailers :(.

It's funny how it's placed in the same video as Uncharted 2... because it made me realize just how similar ME2 is to the gameplay in Uncharted and Gears of War, and what kind of game they are trying to make...

Will people still call ME2 a "RPG"? The only trace of RPG I saw in this movie was some dialogue, but the dialogue was seriously stripped down in ME, and if dialogue is all you need to classify as a RPG, then I need to extend my list of RPG's quite a bit... including No One Lives Forever 2 and S.T.A.L.K.E.R...

Interestingly, the video reminded me to play uncharted. I actually have that game on the shelf.

Just finished Mass Effect 1. It's a really good game once you learn to recognize and ignore the boring side-quests and space exploration, so I'm looking forward to the sequel. And it's definitely an RPG in my book. I can see how the action-oriented (but also tactical and skill-based) combat may be off-putting to some people, but personally I liked it. I also liked the paragon/renegade system a lot more than the tired good/evil system of many RPGs.

I dunno - that trailer looks even more like 'The Force Unleashed meets Gears of War' to me ...

Though I do like the 'interrupt' system ... but I doubt it will ever get used beyond gratuitous kills like that one.

I also liked the paragon/renegade system a lot more than the tired good/evil system of many RPGs.

Paragon/Renegade was the tired good/evil system of many RPG's. The dialogue was even less redundant. You knew before hand that you should always drag diagonally up to follow one path and diagonally down to follow the other.

I never thought I would say this, but Fallout 3 does morality better than ME does. I liked the NWN dialogue, because there you could play a good/neutral character while still switching between lawful/neutral/chaotic. In ME you feel either naive or psychotic.

Paragon/Renegade was the tired good/evil system of many RPG's. The dialogue was even less redundant. You knew before hand that you should always drag diagonally up to follow one path and diagonally down to follow the other.

I never thought I would say this, but Fallout 3 does morality better than ME does. I liked the NWN dialogue, because there you could play a good/neutral character while still switching between lawful/neutral/chaotic. In ME you feel either naive or psychotic.

I almost never play evil characters, but in Mass Effect I found myself having almost equal Paragon and Renegade points. Renegade did not mean evil or psychotic, it was more a question of being intimidating (or brutally honest) towards people who often deserved it. I agree that the Paragon choices sometimes could be naive though. But I really don't see how this is the same as a good/evil system.

Back
Top Bottom