Wizards and Warriors

This would probably be a better link.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/wizards-warriors

I remember playing it back in the Win 98 days, but I could never get it to work with Win XP or anything newer.

I recall thinking it had an interesting look because the enemies and buildings were 3D, but the trees were 2D and looked like they were pasted on the screen. Also, the towns were just a screen you could rotate and click on buildings to enter them.

Other than that, I didn't find it particularly memorable, and I never played very far into it.

I played it to the end, so it can be finished. There was a patch back then, but a few bugs remain - I could play around them. Safe often.
The game has some of the best dungeons, the story is mediocre, combat like Wizardry.

Last time I've played it was about 2 years ago

no, apart from the official/ semi-official patch, no work was done ttbomk. There's a graphics patch that was posted on the Ironworks forums but that was also years ago, so I don't know how useful it might be today. I found that I could tweak the graphics just fine running it in software mode but using Catalyst control center.

I think it's a nice little game but there are too many exploits. When I play I try never to use the gold duplication exploit, and I never use reset adventures so I can only have i.e. one Assassin in the group. I also don't use the bug that allows guild hopping.

I finished it two times years ago. I don't remember that I suffered from bugs too much.

The link was corrupted, fixed now :)

Thanks for info!

It was precisely because of the dungeons I thought of it :) Seemed very old-school in a good way.

I have weird memories of W&W due to a psychosis I was going through. Never mix mental illness and sleepless gaming nights ;)

I finished Wizards & Warriors back when I was posting on Ironworks; which had a reasonably active forum on the game at the time. The kind folk there helped me sort out a couple of minor problems on the way and even inspired me to write some cheesy fan fiction whilst I was doing the class Ascension quests. :) Fun times.

I think HiddenX expressed it well - the dungeons are indeed excellent, though the combat is limited and not so difficult. Character building is fun and generally rewarding.
I reinstalled it a couple of years ago to obtain the soundtrack which I've subsequently used for exploration music in Spiderweb games.

Last edited:
It is a great game.

I remember playing it back in the Win 98 days, but I could never get it to work with Win XP or anything newer.

I bought it used (got a strategy guide with it!) just before Dungeon Lords (so I guess 2004?) and was able to get it to work on WinXP on ONE laptop. When I dumped that laptop a year or so later, then tried again to get it working ... no luck.

I have an old Toshiba that originally came with Win98 I have been planning to reformat and play around with ... this is one of the games I wanted to re-install.

Everything about the game is definitely 'funky' - it has a bunch of old and new style things smashed together, so I can see the origins of Dungeon Lords and also the old Wizardry stuff at play. Pretty much a mess when I played it ... :D

Cannot recall this one, definitely played Dungeon Lords though and recall that being a challenge both in difficulty and also bug wise, but got to the end somehow.

It's just like Dungeon Lords-- a game with tons of potential that failed miserably in execution. DWB could design great games but his team couldn't code worth a hoot. At least W&W did give us the UberHorse.

I liked the game a lot at the time it came out. I had a bug 3/4's of the way in and could not finish the game. Something to do with a boat if I recall. Never played again. I loved the dungeons and the style of the game. If GoG would ever update it I would buy in a heartbeat and try it again.

I remember there was some type of plant monster after leaving the first outside area and dungeon and it was hard as hell to kill. Had to do some exploit to get by it.

Also, the game had about 3 name changes before it was released and was delayed for years. Remember the cool ads for this game in Computer Gaming World.

I actually really liked this game back in the day. As stated previously it had great dungeons, the atmosphere was amazing. Still remember the horror themed dungeon as one of my favorites ever. Its a shame it had so many bugs or it would have more recognition today.

Played this one through three times, hopefully someday it appears on Gog so we can all enjoy it on modern machines. I bet the GoG team would squish all of those nasty bugs!!

It's just like Dungeon Lords-- a game with tons of potential that failed miserably in execution. DWB could design great games but his team couldn't code worth a hoot. At least W&W did give us the UberHorse.

Its much better than Dungeon lords.....

Haha.

Back
Top Bottom