Final Fantasy VII - First Gameplay Footage

Oooooo! That all fit pretty well with the very first raid on Shinra in the original game. Still don't know how the game actually plays but clearly they aren't rebuilding the story from scratch. And the music is using the same basic themes. Play it "first" on PS4 is a pretty good sign, too.

Looks good, but the music they used was awfully generic -- that was such a big part of the game's atmosphere.

I have to admit, it looks a lot better than I thought it would. :)

That they've changed the view outside of battles from isometric to 3rd-person took me by surprise, but I like it.

Oh my. I got chills!! Looks amaaazing! Is this coming for PC?

It's only been announced for the PS4 so far.

I bought this game when it went down to the unheard of price of $20 - mainly because of the high praise it got from game review magazines when we reported this on The .Dot.

And when I played it at home I went, "What th..!"

Worse still I started meeting people that actually liked this..game.

It has only be announced for PS4 so far, but like "Coming FIRST to PS4." So it is very likely
they will release it on other systems.

Frankly I wouldn't be surprised as Steam is very profitable for Square & other JRPG ports right now. So as others have said a port will probably be released at a later date.

Tried playing this, but just couldn't get into it. Played it's successor...weirdest shit I've experienced in my life.

This is one of those games you had to play at the time, I think. I remember it as being really atmospheric and rich, but the story tended to make me go "…wtf?"

For me personally, Final Fantasy Tactics was the best the series ever produced…

Though this looks really pretty! It's going on The List.

I loved FF7 but if they're changing the remake to make it a button smasher, I'll be scratching it off my list.

Visuals look amazing, but the combat seems to suck. Reminds my of the chaoting real time crap Squenix is pushing out lately.

This is one of those games you had to play at the time, I think. I remember it as being really atmospheric and rich, but the story tended to make me go "…wtf?"

For me personally, Final Fantasy Tactics was the best the series ever produced…

Though this looks really pretty! It's going on The List.
Aubrielle is so right about having to had played FF7 at the time. When it released in 1997 it was revolutionary, but time hasn't been kind. Playing it today is a tedious exercise in frustration. Not only is the translation terrible, but the pacing is so slow. But when it came out we didn't mind the tedium because it was such a novel, huge JRPG. I adored FF7, but I fully admit the game is very, very poor by today's standards.

FF Tactics, on the other hand, holds up insanely well, as Aubrielle says! FFT benefits from the War of the Lions version which faithfully retranslates the game into one of the most well-written and substantial stories ever told.

Look what you've done, Aubrielle! Now my post will go off-topic about how I adore Matsuno's work, with FFT War of the Lions and Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together both being the best SRPGs ever made!

PS: the new FF7 combat looks awesome. So glad they replaced the archaic system with a modern Crisis Core/Kingdom Hearts system.

For me personally, Final Fantasy Tactics was the best the series ever produced
FF Tactics, on the other hand, holds up insanely well, as Aubrielle says! FFT benefits from the War of the Lions version which faithfully retranslates the game into one of the most well-written and substantial stories ever told.

Look what you've done, Aubrielle! Now my post will go off-topic about how I adore Matsuno's work, with FFT War of the Lions and Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together both being the best SRPGs ever made!
Count me as one more voice that claims FF Tactics is still one of the best SRPGs ever made. What I wouldn't give to see Square make a complete updated remake.

Till then I will continue to play the updated PSP version.:smitten:

@Brumbek + Couchpotato - it's so true! FFT stands the test of time very, very well, and the WoTL version adds just enough fun new things to breathe all kinds of new life into the series. It's a deep, complex, rich RPG tale for the ages, and I've yet to see an SRPG come even close to its level of quality, polish, and accomplishment.

Even if Unsung Story doesn't deliver, we've still got WoTL, and it's perfectly enough...until, like Couch says, a modern remake is done. ^.^

Tried playing this, but just couldn't get into it. Played it's successor…weirdest shit I've experienced in my life.

Yeah, FF 8 was pretty bizarre, and I wasn't too fond of that one. To be honest though, I was never much of a fan of the series past the SNES titles. FF IV & VI are my favorites.

I loved FF7 but if they're changing the remake to make it a button smasher, I'll be scratching it off my list.

Visuals look amazing, but the combat seems to suck. Reminds my of the chaoting real time crap Squenix is pushing out lately.

PS: the new FF7 combat looks awesome. So glad they replaced the archaic system with a modern Crisis Core/Kingdom Hearts system.

I don't see anything to indicate that they've changed the combat much. I'm assuming the actiony-looking parts are simply the characters carrying out the commands you gave them from the turn-based menu.

There's no way Square would turn FF VII into a real time action game. The majority of their fan base would go berserk.

I used to like JRPGs, but even though I go back and place 80s/90s PC games, there are few JRPGs that I can go back and play now. Those that I do (like Chrono Trigger) have no random battles, which is certainly a benefit.

Back
Top Bottom