What are you reading?

Yeesh--he's written a whole lot of books about a bunch of vastly different stuff. I'd definitely put The Terror as one I'll remember in detail for years, which is something few books can achieve with my degenerating memory cells. I'll have to check out some of his other work.

Last edited:
I haven't read all of his works yet, but so far I think 'The Case of Charles Dexter Ward' is my favorite.

That's another great one :)

One of the few actual novels - even if it's on the short side.

Interestingly enough, these two stories have been made into pretty good B movies. A good Lovecraft adaption is EXCEEDINGLY rare, but I actually dig the movies in question.

I highly recommend Dagon, which despite the name is a pretty faithful adaption of Shadow over Innsmouth - except it's a modern day tale. Not exactly The Godfather, mind you, but definitely worth a watch if you're into Lovecraft.

I liked "Shadow over Innsmouth", too.

There was the another story about people's brains or what being removed into vats and used to animate their corpses in some farmlands in Vermont. Enabled interstellar travel or similar. It really freaked me out. Can't remember the title.

I liked "Shadow over Innsmouth", too.

There was the another story about people's brains or what being removed into vats and used to animate their corpses in some farmlands in Vermont. Enabled interstellar travel or similar. It really freaked me out. Can't remember the title.

Is it the one where most of the story takes place during "space-travel"? I seem to remember reading something like what you describe.

I've read many of his short stories - over 20 at least.

I highly recommend Dagon, which despite the name is a pretty faithful adaption of Shadow over Innsmouth - except it's a modern day tale. Not exactly The Godfather, mind you, but definitely worth a watch if you're into Lovecraft.

You should check out The Resurrected, if you haven't already done so.

Herbert West—Reanimator perhaps? I just recently read that as well. There's no space travel though...

You should check out The Resurrected, if you haven't already done so.

Yeah, that was the other movie I was talking about :)

It's based on the Dexter Ward story.

Herbert West—Reanimator, I just recently read that as well.

Nah, don't think that involves interstellar travel.

IIRC, Reanimator is about two guys experimenting with corpses ala Frankenstein. It's another very good Lovecraft tale - and the ending is delicious :)

I know the Re-animator story you're referring to, and it is a different one.

This story involved some guy trying to visit his friend in farm lands in Vermont who eventually had his brain removed and put into a vat to prepare him for interstellar travel.

Anyway, it really gripped me!

IIRC, Reanimator is about two guys experimenting with corpses ala Frankenstein. It's another very good Lovecraft tale - and the ending is delicious :)

That's exactly what it's about, Thrasher's comment about brains and vats made me think of it.

Mmmm, I wish I knew which story he was refering to. The only thing that sounds close is The Shadow Out of Time. *Edit* That's obviously not it though... I don't know of any other Lovecraft story that involves interstellar travel.

I remember a story about aliens possessing the mind of some guy, and he experiences space travel or something like it. Not very clear, and I don't remember anything about a farmstead or brains in vats.

Sounds like you could possibly be talking about 'Beyond the Wall of Sleep.'

Unnervingly, the stories of Lovecraft tend to get mixed up in my mind - which is pretty neat considering the style of writing. It's like they all somehow fit together in an intangible mess - like in a dream :)

Except for a select few of his best, I really don't remember titles or specifics from his short stories. I'm not sure if that's good or bad in this case.

The Shadow Over Innsmouth

It's making me want to play Call of Cthulhu: DCotE again, even though I didn't think very highly of my first playthrough.

I think it is a matter of the game not living up to the book, just like 99% of movies don't live up to their books.

Regardless, I think I would have enjoyed it more if I had read Shadow Over Innsmouth prior.

I can't say how it would impact things ... I *had* read it before ...

Back
Top Bottom