Finally.....

blatantninja

Resident Redneck Facist
I may ACTUALLY get to play a game some time again!

The last time I spent any serious time gaming was September of 2010, playing through Ultima VI: Project.

Since then:
1) Bought a condo in October 2010, spend nearly every free moment for the next 10 months furnishing it, doing built-ins and then getting ready for our daughter to be born.
2) Daughter was born September 2011 and of course life got REALLY hectic for a while after that.
3) Finally finished building out my closet desk/man cave (area really) in January, only to have our little girl move down into that room (knew it was going to happen but my wife's fool proof plan to make her sleep through ANYTHING failed miserably, so basically I couldn't use my PC at all in the evenings)
4) carved out a spot under our staircase to use in the hallway and ran cables this past weekend. Set up my PC late last night!

Finally, I have my own space again. It's not much, but its MINE!!!

I am going full on NERD when I get home!!!!

Don't get much space in those NYC condos eh? :)

Glad to hear you're going to have some gaming time. What do you plan to play first?

Enjoy every second! Kids eat game time like so much popcorn...

Well done, but I hope you don't suffer from baby-brain-burnout as I do. I sit in front of my PC at night, brow furrowed like neanderthal man, thinking "now, what was I doing again?"

Congratulations ! :)

Well done, but I hope you don't suffer from baby-brain-burnout as I do. I sit in front of my PC at night, brow furrowed like neanderthal man, thinking "now, what was I doing again?"

Too true! My personal favorite is putting down my cup of coffee and then literally 2 minutes later having no idea where it is and needing to search for 5 minutes to find it. Not good...

Wow, that's impressive. I thought I had it rough. The last time I gamed was during my winter break between semesters last December. In Feb my little girl was born and I'm the main caregiver while going to school. Last Friday was literally the first day that I've had free time in almost half a year. I squeezed in a whopping two hours of gaming.

congrats. one day soon I will have a job and I will I had the time.

Don't get much space in those NYC condos eh? :)

Our condo is huge for NYC, around 1400 sq ft. The problem is it is laid out HORRIBLY. The two bedrooms are roughly 25 ft long and 12 ft wide. They'd be perfect for dividing in two each (which was the original plan), except that the way they constructed them, its damn near impossible. These guys cut every corner they could find, then made some new ones to cut!

Glad to hear you're going to have some gaming time. What do you plan to play first?

I have a solid backlog, but I figured I'd start with something easy: Worlds of Ultima Savage Empire. Got a solid hour and a half in last night before I finally gave in and went to bed.

After I finish it, its going to be one of the following:
1) Ultima 6 Project (I got about 2/3 way through before), though I may wait for their 1.1 release
2) Finishing NWN2. I got mostly through MoW and about halfway through MotB. I have SoZ, but never have played it
3) Arcanum. I played a few hours of it over Christmas in 2010 when I got stuck in Dallas, but it was on my laptop which I hate gaming on.

Right now, I'm leaning towards Arcanum.

My brain is already fried. Between getting up at 5 for work (and I am NOT a morning person), spending 10-12 hours at work, then spending time with the baby and dog when I get home, I usually can barely remember my name by the time I go to bed!

Good for you!

4) carved out a spot under our staircase to use in the hallway and ran cables this past weekend. Set up my PC late last night
Under your staircase? Need pics or won't believe.

Yay for you :D!

Good for you!

Under your staircase? Need pics or won't believe.

Not much to show yet, though I will take a pic when I am finally done with it. Here is what the staircase looks like:

stairsbefore.jpg

We've been using it for storage since we moved in. The area between the rail and the wall is right at 42 inches. Previously we had a fridge there (we bought a new one when me moved in and then moved that down there for excess storage, mainly the dog's food). I sold the fridge last weekend and got a small chest freezer for the dog's food that I was able to put completely under the stair case.(It's about 2 inches wider than the distance from the wall to that left poll).

My rolling desk sits in front and I ran an ethernet cable and a power line to the left wall. My grand master plan is:

1) cover the back side of the stairs (it annoys me, plus dirt and dust get kicked down on where my PC is now). I'm debating on whether the outside of it will just be smooth drywall or maybe I could put it to use and make them into book shelves.

2) I want a door covering the area where the freezer is.

3) I'll get rid of the rolling desk and put some type of desktop that could be lifted up and fastened to wall on the left so I can still get into the door from 2)

4) The wall on the left is strangely deep. It has 3 inch metal studs, but then there is about another 3 inches of open space behind that, so I think I might do some built in shelves and drawers along that wall as well.

All in all, I'm just happy to have a place I can actually retreat to and nerd for a bit. The dog's not happy though as she doesn't have anywhere comfy to lay there while I 'work'!

All in all, I'm just happy to have a place I can actually retreat to and nerd for a bit. The dog's not happy though as she doesn't have anywhere comfy to lay there while I 'work'!
Dogs and nerds — the sacrifices we must bring and the hardship we must endure…

I don't have a nerd room of my own at the moment, not even what you could call a nerd corner. I can sooo understand your joy.

Another Harry Potter in the making! j/k I envy your niche. My pc is in our bedroom atm. Hubby needs to go to bed, I am done playing, like it or not. :(

This reminds me of the lyrics of "Get 'Em Out By Friday" by Genesis, especially the last part of it.

But fact is that in any university town here there are exploiters who charge insanely high prices for equally insanely small appartements - for students. Because, they figure, their parents pay for them … And that in an university town they need room for a living anyway …

Back
Top Bottom