Inquisitor - Review @ GameBanshee

An alternative more favourable review in comparison.

http://www.hbhud.com/2012/09/06/review-of-inquisitor/

Unlike Eric Schwarz, the reviewer Michael Raston is 'thoroughly engrossed' with Inquisitor.
Currently at level 24 - max difficulty thief - playing solo, no followers - high ranged skill achieving criticals (one-shot kills) - consuming no mana - high stamina regeneration never drops below 50% - reputation climb + 1.5 hearts - no magic being used - can remain totally invisible.

Yeah, I suspect that M. Raston would be a 'powergamer' by my definition. I like to build characters the way I want to, that suits the role I want them to play, not to optimally choose them so they can cruise through the game. At the same time, I expect character power to scale appropriately, as I level which I feel it does not. Unless you have certain spells/abilities the game seems overwheleming. I am now a level 36 priest (finally, with 3rd tier spells) and even on 'normal' have found it to be quite tedious. Yes, I am still enjoying it enough to continue - I like the inquisitorial angle rather more than combat - but I find that my 'party' are simply there to soak up damage and I need to spam potions to keep everyone alive. When I die, it's because I've run out of potions, pretty much without fail. I don't like that - I don't like potion spamming anyway, but I feel that without this, I would die all the time. That smacks of poor design - one cannot quaff 10 potions per second after all - since potion spamming seems mandatory. I also seem to have low resistances to everything (unless buffed up the wazoo, which doesn't last that long) - why no innate class resistances for a priest? And when your stamina reaches 0, you're stuffed (again, out of *%#@#!! stamina potions, and yes, I tried 'endurance', but that recharges slowly) - which happens way too quickly, especially when assaulted by 3/4 undead monks. So, one resorts to luring enemies out 1/2 at a time etc etc. Again, a tried and tested and irritating style of play which I do not believe I should have to resort to. There are a multitude of other things I could complain about - its certainly not among the best games I've played - but the hertical angle is engrossing enough to keep me plodding through for now (and it was only $15 so I don't feel to aggrieved) BUT I keep on thinking 'what if'...the game could have been really excellent if they'd thougt things through more carefully.

I'm only about half way through the game (after playing for 4 weeks) which is why my review still hasn't been written. Like others, I could cheat my way through faster, but have chosen not to so far. I may end up writing the review before I finish since I think I can safely cover most of the key areas already assuming there is no major game change in the later stages. So far I have seen nothing to indicate that in any of the forums I've visited.

Most Inquisitor players would agree that for an 150 hour game, a good review will take that bit longer to compose - there is no deadline. It has always been the case that the better reviews come later.

I'm looking forward to Corwins review.

Most Inquisitor players would agree that for an 150 hour game, a good review will take that bit longer to compose - there is no deadline. It has always been the case that the better reviews come later.

I'm looking forward to Corwins review.

I think you will be as long as he agrees with your assesment. I'm not sure what I am missing, since I couldn't get beyond twenty minutes into it without quiting since it didn't look that good and it felt like a diablo clear the whole area clone in the first quest outside the town. Oh well, it is still installed maybe I will give it another shot.

I've been playing on easy, but decided to restart on hard just to see what it was like and it was a totally different game. Hard is dull! Each battle takes forever to finish and is basically a potion spam-fest. If you play games for story/exploration and not for long combat battles, play on easy. I went back to easy after it took over an hour to clear out the Executioner grounds near the first town. I would never have played inquisitor much, had I started on hard.

A walking dead has about 300 hit points on hard and maybe 50 on easy. The only difference in the fight is how long you have to whack the creature. I think you get less xp on hard too, so you'll have to grind to get levels. No fun :)

I've been playing on easy, but decided to restart on hard just to see what it was like and it was a totally different game. Hard is dull! Each battle takes forever to finish and is basically a potion spam-fest. If you play games for story/exploration and not for long combat battles, play on easy. I went back to easy after it took over an hour to clear out the Executioner grounds near the first town. I would never have played inquisitor much, had I started on hard.

A walking dead has about 300 hit points on hard and maybe 50 on easy. The only difference in the fight is how long you have to whack the creature. I think you get less xp on hard too, so you'll have to grind to get levels. No fun :)

Another fact is that you hit so many things so often that your items' durability go down really fast and you have to be constantly changing equipment sets.. then you have to carry many genies to repair your equipment =(

Another fact is that you hit so many things so often that your items' durability go down really fast and you have to be constantly changing equipment sets.. then you have to carry many genies to repair your equipment =(

There is more durable and unbreakable gear in the game.

Another possible difference between easy and hard: I believe that single points in a skill have more effect on easy. For instance, I was able to hit walking dead often with Word of Angel on easy with just a few points in the skill. On hard, putting every single skill point I had earned up to that point in the Miracles school, I had a 38% of the spell working but it actually failed about 80% of the time. That would be so tedious to me, that I would have bailed very soon on the game. Glad I took some advice from the internet and played at the lower level. I'm enjoying the game quite a bit still at level 25-ish in the 2nd chapter. From what I've seen so far, the 2nd chapter seems to have twice the dungeons of the first chapter. Yay!

Another possible difference between easy and hard: I believe that single points in a skill have more effect on easy. For instance, I was able to hit walking dead often with Word of Angel on easy with just a few points in the skill. On hard, putting every single skill point I had earned up to that point in the Miracles school, I had a 38% of the spell working but it actually failed about 80% of the time. That would be so tedious to me, that I would have bailed very soon on the game. Glad I took some advice from the internet and played at the lower level. I'm enjoying the game quite a bit still at level 25-ish in the 2nd chapter. From what I've seen so far, the 2nd chapter seems to have twice the dungeons of the first chapter. Yay!

With what character are you playing::

Hmm gave the game a bit more time today and it is growing on me, at least the first town. Found it interesting in that I did not have to kill the bats to get in if I didn't want to.

Overall seems like an interesting story(definately a ton of text) it is doing a lot of telling not showing so far...but still good.

The translations are hit and miss, some are great others not so much. The over use of ! drives me crazy, as well as !? at the end of a sentance. This is more of a localization issue then a game fault though.

One incident they keep saying behind the wall and I think they meant to say beyond the walls when talking about monsters...in english there is a very different meaning to both.

With what character are you playing::

I'm playing a priest, arthur. I don't play games for combat, so easy is appreciated by this explorer. I also unashamedly give myself very high perception, so I don't miss any secret places. Even with high perception there are several levers that don't highlight for me and I almost never find rings or amulets in treasure. My guess is that the better treasure is reserved for higher difficulty levels, but I'm fine with that. I'll stay with cheaper treasure and easier combat ;)

I'm playing a priest, arthur. I don't play games for combat, so easy is appreciated by this explorer. I also unashamedly give myself very high perception, so I don't miss any secret places. Even with high perception there are several levers that don't highlight for me and I almost never find rings or amulets in treasure. My guess is that the better treasure is reserved for higher difficulty levels, but I'm fine with that. I'll stay with cheaper treasure and easier combat ;)

I ask because my spells also fizzle a lot. I wondered if with another char it would fizzle too. Or if there was a solution for that.

On easy, I don't get the fizzle very much. I will say that the priest skill Wisdom, helps quite a bit in this role, but you need to get it to disciple level for the help. On hard, the fizzle was consistent and I felt like I needed to be 3-4 levels higher for each area, than easy. That is fine. If I was a combat grognard, I would bite the bullet and do this, but I'm indifferent to combat, so I went the easy as pie route. Less pain :)

@nut: Thanks for the input man. Yeah even with wisdom it fails too often =( That's why I chose using buffing spells over attack ones or debuffs.

Good input nut. Thanks! When I play this I will play it on easy too. Don't need boring tedious repetitive combat for a sense of accomplishment.

You should definitely go on easy. If I could go back and start again I'd choose another difficulty. I'd get the same awesome content but at a lesser total playing time.

As I progress I see it's going to be quite impossible on Act 3 to keep up with the mobs… but a gem of a game so far!

OK so no one thought that every time you talk to the blacksmith he gets new items was a flaw? I mean you just keep talking to him over and over until you get what you want.

There's a reason behind that madness, Rune. Because there are many viable builds, it would suck if you loaded the shop and he had nothing that could help your particular type of build. Besides, do you really want a listing of the hundreds of crpgs that have random inventory for shops? They are legion. I'm trying to think of a game of this type that "doesn't" have random inventory....

I haven't been paying attention, is this the one game in the universe that Rune doesn't love for some reason? This game definitely has some flaws, so I can understand his point, but why this game of all the crap he's supported, ie Reckoning, etc? :biggrin:

There's a reason behind that madness, Rune. Because there are many viable builds, it would suck if you loaded the shop and he had nothing that could help your particular type of build. Besides, do you really want a listing of the hundreds of crpgs that have random inventory for shops? They are legion. I'm trying to think of a game of this type that "doesn't" have random inventory….

I haven't been paying attention, is this the one game in the universe that Rune doesn't love for some reason? This game definitely has some flaws, so I can understand his point, but why this game of all the crap he's supported, ie Reckoning, etc? :biggrin:

I understand randomizing inventory in shops yes, that's normal. Now use that little brain and think of any games that do it every time you click on a shopkeeper. Diablo and torchlight don't do this even, because unbalances things. Think, every time you click the shop keeper new gear appears…why have more then one shop keeper in the game then?

I've played a ton of RPGs and this is the only one I can think of that does it that way. If I'm wrong use that wit of yours to show me my error. Major flaw in the design in my opinion, but hey if you want an easy go for equipment I can see why you would support this.

Back
Top Bottom