Witcher 2 The Witcher 2 only support 16:9 resolutions

The Witcher 2
Dev's answer:
"Anyway it can happen that there will be black borders in 1.0 version. Just because we have still some issues to work on - related to gameplay - and it's just more important than everyting else. But for sure we will not forget about native support for other resolutions. It's just a matter of time. It's shame that we just can't clone ourselves ;)"

I guess one good thing came from me having to purchase a 16:9 so-called HD panel with fewer manufacturers selling 16:10....

Wow. I can't believe all of you all I ever here on this site is graphics don't matter give me another bg 1 or 2 and i'd play it today. We just want hard core rpg's. Now one minor ( and I feel it's minor, especially if you don't care about graphics as I hear all the time.) graphic hiccup. And people are canceling there pre-order's. un-real.

I realize that not everyone on this site has said graphics don't matter but i've read it alot on here and I believe by some of you who are complaining now.

If this game is as good as most think it will be is playing with bars really a deal breaker if so then having a hardcore rpg is not really everyones main focus here.

Having said all that I bet they patch it to support all aspect ratio's.

My 24" Samsung has a native resolution of 1920x1200 but can scale 1920x1080 with no apparent stretching, so this doesn't bother me at all.

Still, I can understand why this would be an issue for some people. I'll be surprised if CD Projekt doesn't have this sorted out prior to release.

Wow. I can't believe all of you all I ever here on this site is graphics don't matter give me another bg 1 or 2 and i'd play it today. We just want hard core rpg's. Now one minor ( and I feel it's minor, especially if you don't care about graphics as I hear all the time.) graphic hiccup. And people are canceling there pre-order's. un-real.

I realize that not everyone on this site has said graphics don't matter but i've read it alot on here and I believe by some of you who are complaining now.

If this game is as good as most think it will be is playing with bars really a deal breaker if so then having a hardcore rpg is not really everyones main focus here.

Having said all that I bet they patch it to support all aspect ratio's.

Well-said, sakichop. Canceling pre-orders over this is absurd if the game is anywhere near as good as the first. Granted, I do think that this issue is an annoyance that absolutely should (and must) be fixed, but a deal-breaker? Be reasonable. If a developer has the ambition and soul to make a solid (and potentially great) RPG experience, then I think some lee-way must be given - this is one of the last big PC RPG developers around. I'm not saying that they deserve blind loyalty, as no developer deserves that, but just be reasonable on what constitutes trashing the game, and try to keep it related to the game, not silly resolution or graphics issues.

@Nerevarine @sakichop
In 4:3 or 5:4 resolutions , like in my case, the area affected is 30%. It can be the best game of the world, I won't play it this way. If I can't play it, why should I bought it? Maybe after they have patched, I'll buy it.
The absurd here is defending that it's not a deal breaker for me.

@Nerevarine @sakichop
In 4:3 or 5:4 resolutions , like in my case, the area affected is 30%. It can be the best game of the world, I won't play it this way. If I can't play it, why should I bought it? Maybe after they have patched, I'll buy it.

That's the thing though; I guarantee they will fix it, probably before the game is released, so I guess I feel as though people are over-reacting by stating their refusal to play the game before they've even had the chance to address the problem.

I will gladly admit that I am wrong if the issue still prevails, say, 2 weeks or more after release, but in the meantime, I think CDProjectRed has earned the benefit of the doubt for now, or at least a chance to solve the problem while there's still time left before the release.

@Nerevarine @sakichop

I'm not telling you that you have to buy it. Your not losing 30 % of the game though, just your monitor. It's letterboxed you should see what 16:9 will see just smaller.

Your the one that feels the need to defend your decision. I just think that with everything they are doing right to jump on them for this is silly. If it's a deal breaker for you then it's a deal breaker. I'm not going to try to change your mind.

I'm buying it though so when you end up playing the witcher 3 on the nintendo ds don't blame me.:biggrin:

My 24" Samsung has a native resolution of 1920x1200 but can scale 1920x1080 with no apparent stretching, so this doesn't bother me at all.

Still, I can understand why this would be an issue for some people. I'll be surprised if CD Projekt doesn't have this sorted out prior to release.

You're really much better of using 1920x1200 in-game so that it takes advantage of your monitor's native resolution. The black bars are so thin on 16:10 I honestly never notice them. With several games I didn't even know they were there until after I stopped playing and checked the forums.

For 4:3 and 5:4 monitor users this is a much bigger deal, but honestly... and I hate to be "that guy," but... it's time for a monitor upgrade in that situation. Widescreen has been the new standard for many years now.

Wide screen may be the new standard, but another standard has been a wide variety of support, for common resolutions, on PC only games. I'm really surprised that they didn't see the backlash coming from this decision. I'm glad they are going to fix it.

This sounds strange to me.

There's absolutely no way they'll release a major game like this, without taking 16:10 resolutions into consideration. If there is a negative impact for this aspect ratio, it will be absolutely minimal.

There's just no way I can believe anything different before I actually see it.

For 4:3 and 5:4 monitor users this is a much bigger deal, but honestly… and I hate to be "that guy," but… it's time for a monitor upgrade in that situation. Widescreen has been the new standard for many years now.

Many people do not have money to simply "upgrade their monitor" - frankly my monitor its the last thing I should need to worry about unless I want to HDR etc. If every dev was throwing out support for 4:3, then sure. But most still support it and honestly, for a smallish company still trying to make their mark, I really believe its worth that extra effort. Especially since their 1st title did support it.

Many people do not have money to simply "upgrade their monitor" - frankly my monitor its the last thing I should need to worry about unless I want to HDR etc. If every dev was throwing out support for 4:3, then sure. But most still support it and honestly, for a smallish company still trying to make their mark, I really believe its worth that extra effort. Especially since their 1st title did support it.
You nailed it booboo. Thanks.
I won't exchange my monitor because of a game. I'll exchange in the moment that more than one developer will making it mandatory.
I'm not a kid. I'm currently unemployed and money is a problem, but that's not the point, the fact is that I always try to place all my investments carefully. More easily I could be convinced to exchange my graphic card than the monitor.

Here is Steam surveying for primary display resolution, March 2011
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey
1024 x 768 6.45% 4:3
1152 x 864 1.14% 4:3
1280 x 720 0.72% 16:9
1280 x 768 0.67% 16:9
1280 x 800 5.17% 16:10
1280 x 960 1.07% 4:3
1280 x 1024 13.63% 4:3
1360 x 768 1.46% 16:9
1366 x 768 6.17% 16:9
1440 x 900 9.50% 16:10
1600 x 900 3.84% 16:9
1600 x 1200 0.90% 4:3
1680 x 1050 18.02% 16:10
1920 x 1080 19.39% 16:9
1920 x 1200 7.36% 16:10
Other 4.48%
Is this a surprise, that 23% of people still uses 4:3-5:4 monitors?

Is this a surprise, that 23% of people still uses 4:3-5:4 monitors?

People tend to keep their monitors longer then their core PC components (motherboard, CPU, graphic cards, etc).

It's not like widescreen monitors just popped up and you have no money to get one right now though. They've arguably been the standard for about 5 years.

Again, not trying to be the guy who tells people to shut up and upgrade, but I honestly can't imagine still using a 4:3 monitor in 2011. Even if most games don't force a widescreen image they were certainly designed for widescreen and must feel cramped without it.

Again, not trying to be the guy who tells people to shut up and upgrade, but I honestly can't imagine still using a 4:3 monitor in 2011. Even if most games don't force a widescreen image they were certainly designed for widescreen and must feel cramped without it.
I see your point, but I don't have that feeling of being cramped. I still see some advantages for using 4:3 monitors, at least for people who also like to play old titles.
Most of all, I think this was a bad decision from cd projekt, that can cost them some sells, at least at release.

The only issue here is not how people prefer to play. If you try to say that one way is "right", you're an idiot. And that's what the devs are doing, in a sense. They're either too lazy to fix it or they've agreed to ship on a date that they can't possibly hit without cutting some stuff.

I've been playing NWN lately - a game made in 2002. If they could support all resolutions then, (literally ALL - including the bizarre 1152x648 16:9 ratio) then why can't ProjektRed support all resolutions now?

To me, this tells me that whatever engine they're using is massively hacked together, or they've just not bothered to fix it, for some unknown reason. It doesn't surprise me though, considering they took over a year to release the massive update to their first game, to make it decent. I appreciate that they did it, but frankly, that should have been enough incentive to get this one right from the start, no?

I've been playing NWN lately - a game made in 2002. If they could support all resolutions then, (literally ALL - including the bizarre 1152x648 16:9 ratio) then why can't ProjektRed support all resolutions now?

It's again important to note this is not about resolution. The game will support all the usual resolutions, it's just they add black bars to maintain the aspect ratio they want you to play in.

I think it's important to keep making the distinction because people are going to get the impression they cannot use their monitor's native resolution, which is not true.

To me, this tells me that whatever engine they're using is massively hacked together, or they've just not bothered to fix it, for some unknown reason. It doesn't surprise me though, considering they took over a year to release the massive update to their first game, to make it decent. I appreciate that they did it, but frankly, that should have been enough incentive to get this one right from the start, no?

The engine has little to do with it, several games with a forced 16:9 aspect ration have been made on engines that fully support any image size like Unreal Engine 3 in Mirror's Edge.

It's all about wanting to plan, test and design the world and cinematics to be seen in one aspect ratio. It saves development time.

Back
Top Bottom