Aloran - TB Fantasy RPG on Kickstarter

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
the devs of the game Aloran informed me it was on Kickstarter now. The pitch still has 54 days to go and asks for $85K.

Aloran is a turn-based, isometric fantasy RPG inspired by the classic games of the 90s. The focus of the game is to enjoy dungeon exploration, the advancement of abilities and to find magical items.

• Classic CRPG features, hand crafted dungeons, hand crafted loot, hand placed loot and lots of interesting monsters to defeat etc...
  • Aloran full release will be available for Windows only. The full release will be distributed on Steam as well as DRM-free download.
  • Art Style: 2D isometric with 2D sprites
  • Party based RPG: Up to 8 party members
  • Stats: Strength, Agility, Quickness, Stamina, Fortitude, Toughness, Appearance, Perception, Self Discipline, Intelligence, Presence, Wisdom, Willpower, Essence, Psi
  • Stat rolling: Character creation involves rolling for your stats
  • Perks: Characters will be able to select perks
  • Skills: A player can select skills from a wide list to shape there play style
  • Talents: Define a character and are hard to acquire
  • System: D20 combat resolution with attack and counter attack rounds
  • Tactical Turn based combat
  • Hard Counters: Mind control, Hold person, Entangle, Sleep, Disarm weapon, Grapple etc...
I think the pitch might probably go a lot better if they provided some actual information on anything else but art.

More information.

Yep, there isn't enough there for non-family members to back...yet. Perhaps they'll flesh it out and make it though. At least it "sounds" like a crpg.

This game looks like something I will back but not impressed with their KS page.

$85K seems much given that we know nothing about the devs or even estimated release date.

Yeah, if they add quite a bit more info, I'm a potential backer too. I need to see more game than just a few screenshots. If what they've shown is all they have, sorry. Not going to pay for a few little mockups.

Same here. Would have backed it if there was a little more.
Like a description of their vision in the video. Or an explanation of the combat system.

But how it is right now, the only thing it shows is that their graphics look nice. But that's not enough to get me to pledge for a game.

A few pretty pictures and the promise to have a classless game balance by a husband and wife team?... Nothx. I might buy it after release though.

I backed this for a dollar and left some comments. What there is looks fine to me, unfortunately its very little and all graphics. I'm hoping they give me some reason to up my pledge.

I kickstart a lot of projects, but this one just seems too vague about a lot of stuff. I'd need to hear more before tossing cash tbh.

Come on, guys. Throw your money at this project. It's shooting for an ideal that isn't seen much today.

No, they aren't big names, nor do they have 90% of the game complete, but they are looking to make a 2D isometric RPG with all those great old-school features that RPGs today don't have anymore.

If I had the money I'd fund the entire dang thing myself.

On what basis?

I mean sorry, but if I see people whining about being burnt by kickstarter they must have had the same attitude towards kickstarter as you have now.

People should be sceptic and use common sense when investing their money into kickstarter. Otherwise getting burnt there is inevitable.

That said, the "ideal" is actually coming back during the last years and not so rare anymore.

Kordanor, please, your "common sense" is not mine, your skepticism is your own.

When a person pitches a 2D isometric, party-based, turn-based RPG with great artwork, tons of stats and a vision of an old-school game, I don't need a fancy video and some big-name developer telling me how awesome the game is going to be.

Everyone should use common sense but not be skeptical to the point of fear and paralyzation because you think you're going to lose a few dollars on a Kickstarter campaign.

That sort of skepticism is exactly why many projects don't ever see the light of day, and it's a shame.

But can you explain what of this campaign got you hooked?

And now just imagine: If two teenagers wanted to scam your money with a KS project. How hard would it be for them?
That said, even without bad intentions, I saw several "Give us 100.000 and we will make a MMO like World of Warcraft, just better!"-campaigns. But if even to a lesser extend, they aren't even able to promote their game decently on their Kickstarter Page, then I also don't see good chances of the game actually see the light of day, keeping what it promised.

All I get from this campaign at the moment is that they want to create an RPG, it is turnbased, and the developer has the skillset/tools to make nice looking visuals (which do not look like Kickstarter stock graphics, also saw projects with those)

And of course the developer also has experience creating games.

The two games showcased on their page are:
Molipop
Molipop-Help.jpg

And Xingpop
G-1.jpg

Besides of being puzzle games, they also look incredibly cheap.
Now this of course doesn't mean they are unable to make a good game. But nothing they showed gives reason to believe that.

Last but not least: They are not greenlit on steam yet, neither they are a known publisher.
So promising a steam key for now is promise they don't have the basis for.

If that's all you got from it then you aren't paying close enough attention.

Hand-placed loot, 2D isometric party-based, turn-based, tactical combat, D20 system, more stats than you can shake a stick at, etc. etc.

What more do you need to be excited? They had me at 2D isometric RPG. That alone is enough to get me interested and wanting to see the game get made.

If you love RPGs than you should be more than ready to pledge to something like this. This is the Kickstarter spirit. Anyone creating a game, everyone pitching in and seeing cool ideas come to light. That is what Kickstarter is about.

If you just need someone to pitch you in order to sell you, than maybe you should go watch Infomercials for Sham-Wow or something. You'll get plenty of pitch there.

If you want to see interesting games get made, then you should pledge to them on Kickstarter.

That's a checklist anyone could have posted. Without some background they aren't worth much.

Imho Kickstarter is another way to secure funding for someone who already put a minimum of effort into their vision. The difference is, that instead of pitching it to publishers, they pitch it directly to players. Nevertheless the pitch is important.

That said, they won't secure funding. And if they took some time to take a look at other projects they would have known that. There is no way that they reach their goal of 85.000 Dollars. In addition a 60 Day campaign time was proven to be a bad idea for games as it is not tight enough to generate momentum, which is needed mainly for the start and for the end.

A checklist anyone could have posted? Are we really that jaded and cynical that we have to look at new Kickstarters as scams and worthless? I refuse to do that.

They have 54 days to gain momentum and get funded. That is plenty of time. Heck, I may even throw every last penny I currently can at the project, making it my first funded project on Kickstarter.

This sounds like a game I would love to play and I wish the developers nothing but success. I'm already in contact with them to do some coverage for the game.

I'm digging the vibe of the game. I like the walking animation at the beginning. And i liked the artwork. I would like to see some gameplay video. Hopefully they have something in the works. Because i would think that would go a long way to getting people to pledge to their game. But, i like what i see so far. I will keep an eye out for this one.

I would like to see more myself. Just creating the assets for an interesting large world to explore and quest in is a LOT of work. Without a working engine, combat, inventory, character generation, there seems to be way too much on their plate for the amount of money being asked, especially considering the simplicity of their previous efforts.

Back
Top Bottom