Silverfall - Hands-On @ GameSpot

Dhruin

SasqWatch
GameSpot has kicked up a hands-on look at Monte Cristo's Silverfall. Here's a snip:
Silverfall differs from last year's Titan Quest, the last major action role-playing game, in a couple of key ways. First, Titan Quest is an entirely linear game, in that you follow a predetermined and narrow path throughout the entire game and kill everything in your way. Silverfall features a much more open world that lets you wander around anywhere while still killing everything in your way. Secondly, while Titan Quest was set in the mythological past, Silverfall takes place in a fantasy realm full of familiar races, such as elves, trolls, and goblins. Indeed, it's an interesting place, because in addition to being able to create a human and elf character, you can play as a troll or a goblin. Apparently, the world of Silverfall is where a lot of the magical races have learned to get along with one another. It's just the pesky undead that are the problem. You'll also eventually be able to play a character that either specializes in sorcerous powers or in high technology, and you'll find different companions along the way that have cast their lots as magicians or technologists as well.
More information.

I'd like to first apologize for my cynical attitude and sarcasm regarding the gamespot preview. Now that I have that out of the way...........

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Is it just me or does it seem that every preview of an Rpg or action rpg by the folks over at Gamespot gets glowing praise before release only to be sliced and diced upon review? I have played the demo and I am kinda liking it but I am feeling deja vu about this one. You know, been there done that already. Makes me think of a bunch of games and you all know the ones I am thinking of.
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggh

Hehe, well I didn't read as far so maybe I missed something bad but you certianly got the right as they were on the oblivion boat as well, iirc.

One thing I did agree with was the open world in Silverfall which I perfer veruses TQ being linear which I didn't like at least in TQ's case.

Actually, I found this review to be very fair & balanced, and much in tone with my own experience of Silverfall, after playing the (huge) demo. The only gripe I have with the game is that there are way too many monsters, you get a a lot of loot from monsters, both normal and magical loot seems to be in abundance.

After killing tree dragons after tree dragons and then find 3-6 magicial items inside each one of them, well, to me, it doesn't feel right. This also means your inventory
gets full pretty darn quick, which means that it would have been nice to have town portal scroll (like in Diablo)

Hopefully, someone will use the editor ;) ....

Back
Top Bottom