Original Bard's Tale trilogy added to Bard's Tale on Steam

Fnord

SasqWatch
Nice - also the Android version is discounted as part of the sale, which includes the old Bard's Tale 1.

I keep wondering though, why they won't just straight up put the old trilogy on GOG and Steam, without needing to get the remake.

But it's cool they are at least offering it this way.

http://www.inxile-entertainment.com...h-year-in-business-with-a-digital-garage-sale

So anyone (like me) who has not played the original Bard's Tale series can now do it through the remake.

Wait, so if you buy this game, you get the original Bard's Tale Games, like as in the ones for the C=64 and Atari ST? If so, has anyone on here gotten them yet? How do you play them on windows, using an emulator or what? I would gladly pay 2.49 USD to play those 3 games bug free without an emulator!

Well I just bought it on Steam so I'll soon find out. I'll report back here once I get it all downloaded and played. Unfortunately I have to download a 3.8 gig file just to play the classic versions.

I assume it probably uses some kind of emulation but hopefully it's all set up for smooth play.

Last edited:
So I got it downloaded and tried them out. The classic games are the Apple IIGS versions for Bard's Tale 1 and 2, and Apple II version for Bard's Tale 3. You access them through the main game menu of the remake. The emulator is embedded in the game it seems - there is no external program used to run them.

They seem to run fine, if a bit choppy in the sound department on occasion. Though I must say the Bard's Tale 3 Apple II graphics are eye-bleedingly bad, and I have a pretty high tolerance (coming form an old-school DOS background). Too bad they weren't able to use the Amiga version or at least DOS for this one. The IIGS graphics for BT 1 and 2 look very good though (for that time period).

I still hope for a proper GOG release using DOSBox. I feel there is a lot more control over the emulation with that kind of setup. But this isn't a bad deal for $2.50. And the "remake" looks somewhat amusing...

To be honest, I think I already own the definitive versions of the Bard's Tale trilogy. The C64 versions carry the most charm for me, atmospherically and especially aurally.
I tried to get into the PC version of the first game a few years back but couldn't bring myself to complete Harkyns Castle, as it just didn't carry the same feeling.

The InXile game is ok, fun for a little while, if a little short and fairly forgettable on the whole. The chosen-one song is quite amusing though and I'll always remember that part fondly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHF5uoonR-c&noredirect=1

So I got it downloaded and tried them out. The classic games are the Apple IIGS versions for Bard's Tale 1 and 2, and Apple II version for Bard's Tale 3. You access them through the main game menu of the remake. The emulator is embedded in the game it seems - there is no external program used to run them.

They seem to run fine, if a bit choppy in the sound department on occasion. Though I must say the Bard's Tale 3 Apple II graphics are eye-bleedingly bad, and I have a pretty high tolerance (coming form an old-school DOS background). Too bad they weren't able to use the Amiga version or at least DOS for this one. The IIGS graphics for BT 1 and 2 look very good though (for that time period).

I still hope for a proper GOG release using DOSBox. I feel there is a lot more control over the emulation with that kind of setup. But this isn't a bad deal for $2.50. And the "remake" looks somewhat amusing…

Thanks, I have now purchased and installed it, but have yet to play them. Should provide a good alternative for the weekend when Borderlands 2 burnout sets in.

Well, I tried it out, I made a party, left the inn, and was instantly slain by a group of 5 barbarians before i even had a chance to move onto a different map square. Just like when i was a kid. I was disappointed to find that the f5 and f6 key commands that are supposed to show the manuals and maps do not work. It's hard ot play the game with no clue how spellcasting works.

Do note that someone spent a good bit of time to fix the bugs in the DOS version of Bards Tale 3, which actually makes it a reasonable version to play. Not the graphics are in any way modern, but they're a heck of a lot better than the Apple 2 version.
http://bardstale.brotherhood.de/talefiles/board/viewtopic.php?t=989
https://github.com/ChrisAubuchon/BT3-DOS-patch
Cool thanks - will check those out if I ever get around to playing BT 3 in DOS.
I was disappointed to find that the f5 and f6 key commands that are supposed to show the manuals and maps do not work. It's hard ot play the game with no clue how spellcasting works.
Yeah I didn't like how that was implemented either. It seems to try to load web pages with the info, but it failed to load. I found if I copy and pasted the URLs it attempts to load into another browser they would have the info. But overall it's a lame way to present the manual / maps.

I actually found my BT 1 and 2 games got corrupted and wouldn't work after the first play. Trying to load them just resulted in a screen full of @s. Like the emulator wasn't working or something. I was also having technical problems with the remake. Out of frustration I deleted the whole thing from my computer.

I think I'll just setup my own emulator and use abandonware to play these from here on.

The original Bard's Tale (and Fairy Tale on the Amiga) were the games that truly got me into RPGs. Hard to say anything bad about that.

Back
Top Bottom