DA:O Why won't my spells cast?

Dragon Age: Origins

Zloth

I smell a... wumpus!?
I fire off a lightning bolt. The spell can not be used until the cooldown period passes. Nice, normal, sane. I can then fire off my cone lightning spell, assuming I have enough mana. Nice, normal, sane.

I can NOT, however, fire off a mystic bolt or a walking bomb spell. Heal works fine but no attack spells. It takes quite awhile before I can fire off another type of attack spell. (And then I can't fire off my lightning spells!) What the heck is going on!?

Silly question, but I do assume you're replenishing your mana with potions and stuff? Is your mana full at 100% when you cannot fire off those spells? It might look 100% on the little circle on the UI, but not, in fact be completely full, and those spells might need a large amount of mana? (More than the heal, for instance)

Nope, walking bomb and the basic lightning bolt don't use much at all. This is right off the bat at the start of a battle. Shoot lightning bolt and POW! Try and shoot walking bomb and my mage just shoots the normal shots. However, if she tries to shoot the lightning cone (which takes more mana, I think) it fires off just fine. She can shoot the bomb eventually but not until the lightning bolt recharges.

Do you have a target selected first? If not, it won't fire!!

You can select the target after clicking the spell. The pointer turns into a bull's eye target. (And you have to remember to left click not right click.) When the game doesn't feel like letting me cast the spell I want, it sticks with the sword icon and I'll just attack with the regular mage ranged attack.

Ok, I just want to add here, that even when using my special abilities, I have found it more useful to first click on the target, and then on the spell/special ability. I have no idea why it has to be that way around though.

If I click first on the spell or special ability, and then on the target, the little box next to to the character's portrait, changes to a normal "attack" icon, and I have to click on the spell/ability again to bring it back.

I have no idea if this has anything to do with your problem, Zloth, but I'm just noting it as something that I have found to be rather strange and irritating.

I've noticed exactly the same behavior. I has not cost me a fight yet, but either I don't understand the selection system or there are bugs.

Just to add to that - I've noticed this behavior for non-mage skills too. Too bad the freaking manual can't even describe the interface. left click vs. right click under what conditions? Sequence? Might have been nice :(

Ah ha! That's it Rivian Witch! If I select the spell then try to click the enemy, it refuses to give me the spell bullseye target and just attacks normally. However, if I right click the enemy THEN click the spell button, it will fire off just fine.

Well, glad you got it, Zloth. I find this aspect very irritating, but in fact, I think the manual does somewhere say something like "first select your target , then select the spell on the quickbar… " A pain, I know. :rolleyes:

When you right-click something, you're telling the character to auto-attack it. This also targets that enemy. If you're auto-attacking something, and you select a single-target direct damage spell/talent, you will cast that spell at your current target. You can select a new target but not auto-attack it by left-clicking. So if you left click someone, and then left-click the spell you want, it will cast. If you choose the spell first, and then left-click the target, it will cast. If you choose a spell, then right click, you'll auto-attack.

Once you get the hang of it, it works very well. Left-click = select (whether it be a spell, an enemy, or an ally). Right click = move/auto-attack.

Its pretty much select target first then use skill. No need to select again unless you want to switch a target. You can lead off with a attack/select combo (the crosshair target icon) but after that action you will NOT have a target selected. Easier to right click and then hit the skill button.

I understand the concept, but in the heat of battle, my fingers don't always agree with what my brain is supposed to know… :juggle: :S

Ah, well, obviously I haven't seen enough battle yet for it to have become second nature already.. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom