Dark Souls III - Why you should play it

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Supercheats tells us why Dark Souls III is a game everyone should play:

Why you will want to Play Dark Souls III

In all corners of the gaming world, from players to developers, the name Dark Souls immediately evokes strong positive feelings. In fact, millions of people all over the planet, which often have very little else in common, hold the idea of the Dark Souls franchise as one of the best video game series in the entire history. For those who have not had a chance to play any of these games, this might seem like a huge overstatement, like many others that can be heard from different fan communities.

But, in the case of Dark Souls, the same notion ring true for players, video game journalists, critics and some of the biggest game development companies currently operating. It appears that all agree that the Dark Souls games attain some extraordinary quality that makes them an incredible gaming experience. Now, all of them are gearing up for this year and the upcoming release of Dark Souls III. For fans, 2016 is a year they have been waiting for since Dark Souls II came out in 2014, but others should take notice as well. Here are the key reasons why you will want to Play Dark Souls III.

A Rich Lineage

Developed by the FromSoftware, the so-called Souls series began in 2009 with the release of a game called Demon’s Soul. The game was successful, but did not gather too much attention, but this all changed in 2011 when Dark Souls came out and was followed by Dark Souls II three years later. At that moment, the legend was already born and the series gathered a cult following, where fans spread the word about the game. Now, Dark Souls are a household name for millions of players.

Basically, the series represents a third-person action RPG game where a lot of focus is placed on a combination of weapon and magic combat. As a warrior, the players enter the twisted and dangerous domain of the Dark Souls game, where they began to explore and combat horrible monsters which litter the landscape of a medieval-like realm. But, the game really shines when it comes to their bosses, huge creatures that often require a lot of skill, contemplation, and determination to be successfully vanquished.

[...]
More information.

Thank you for the info, Couch! - I have to finish the first two parts first...

My most anticipated game of the year! I plan to lose myself in this one for a couple of months.

Tried DSII, couldnt get the hang of m&k controls, quit before an hour.

Definitely not a game for casuals. Wish there were more like it.

I'm not excited about the faster combat and controls. The camera seems jerkier in the videos I've seen. I see motion sickness being a problem for me with this one.

Is it made for PC with PC controls? Probably not. Probably another console/controller game - and thus, not worth following at all.

Definitely not a game for casuals. Wish there were more like it.

tumblr_nho634qpfc1sden6po1_500.jpg

Ha! But seriously people way overestimate difficulty in these games. It more comes down to learning and patience, usually not something you're committed when playing these types of games.

Nobody needs to convince me! It's a must play!

Demon Souls - 4X playthroughs, Platinum'd
Dark Souls - 4X playthroughs, delicious world!
Dark Souls II - 3X playthroughs…not nearly as good as the others
Bloodborne - 4X playthroughs, Platinum'd, so beautiful game!

I'm an addict!!!

PS: Dragon's Dogma - 14X playthroughs, BEST.GAME.EVAR

I REALLY wanted to play it as I like melee medieval combat but the controls difficulty is what got me, not the game difficulty itself. Maybe it would've been worth it but I couldn't surpass mount uncontrollable

Nobody needs to convince me! It's a must play!

Demon Souls - 4X playthroughs, Platinum'd
Dark Souls - 4X playthroughs, delicious world!
Dark Souls II - 3X playthroughs…not nearly as good as the others
Bloodborne - 4X playthroughs, Platinum'd, so beautiful game!

I'm an addict!!!

PS: Dragon's Dogma - 14X playthroughs, BEST.GAME.EVAR

Demon Souls - about 6X playthroughs, only 50 odd % trophies
Dark Souls - maybe 20X playthroughs, platinum. Beat NG++++++
Dark Souls II - maybe 6X playthroughs…nowhere bloody near as good as the others. Stopped playing as soon as I got the platinum. So disappointing.
Bloodborne - maybe 6X playthroughs, Platinum'd. It has my favourite ever weapon in any game ever. Blade of Mercy. :heart:

I'm an addict!!!

PS: Dragon's Dogma - 1X playthrough. Meh.

I REALLY wanted to play it as I like melee medieval combat but the controls difficulty is what got me, not the game difficulty itself. Maybe it would've been worth it but I couldn't surpass mount uncontrollable

Just buy a controller and enjoy learning to use it like a new toy. Once you get the hang of it you'll realise its actually the best part of a console and a great addition to a gaming PC that you'll use in a lot of games.

Also, news before news https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5rljUBxfIE

Just buy a controller and enjoy learning to use it like a new toy. Once you get the hang of it you'll realise its actually the best part of a console and a great addition to a gaming PC that you'll use in a lot of games.

Also, news before news https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5rljUBxfIE

I can't use controllers' - I tried, waste of money. My brain is hard-wired for a M+K after years of playing that way and I don't have time to waste trying to rewire it. I have little enough game playing time as it is. If a PC game doesn't have proper - as in well designed - support for M+K I won't play it. I played DS2 for about 8 hours, managed the crappy controls and the difficulty, but in the end the *grind* - which so many love - killed the game for me. I simply don't understand the attraction of games where you have to do the same stuff again...and again...and again...as the entire world and everything you killed respawns. But each to their own. The world seemed interesting and challenging combat is fine (but not if its challenging because of shit controls). Anyway I'm sure I'm in a minority and everyone will rave about how it is the best thing evar.

I first used a mouse to play a game called Virus. I couldn't get the hang of it because my brain was hard wired to a joystick! :) I got used to it in the end and prefer M&K for most things now. DS is a controller game for me though. The ability to use the sticks to edge cautiously forward in DS can be a lifesaver.

Last edited:
I want to buy this game but I know it will sit in my desk for long enough before I even try it simply because I'm intimidated whenever I play this series.

Demon Souls - about 6X playthroughs, only 50 odd % trophies
Dark Souls - maybe 20X playthroughs, platinum. Beat NG++++++
Dark Souls II - maybe 6X playthroughs…nowhere bloody near as good as the others. Stopped playing as soon as I got the platinum. So disappointing.
Bloodborne - maybe 6X playthroughs, Platinum'd. It has my favourite ever weapon in any game ever. Blade of Mercy. :heart:

I'm an addict!!!
NICE WORK! Blade of Mercy is epic stuff!!

PS: Dragon's Dogma - 1X playthrough. Meh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU5zGmshIT8

One day you will realize the glory of Dragon's Dogma...but for now I suppose playing Dark Souls is close enough.

Out of the box k&m support for DS1 was nonexistent and was a bit subpar for DS2. It took me significant time, a third party mod ( for ds1) and mouse and keyboard software that allows me to change any key or mouse button press to anything I want to get a comfortable set up.

However, once I did it worked extremely well and I actually preferred K&M to hooking up a controller. I platinumed bloodborne with a controller but missed my K&M. I can understand people not wanting to put that kind of time into getting it to work though but it really is possible to get good k&m controls if you really want to.

Also there is very little reason to grind in these games if you don't want. It also isn't very useful as other than increasing iframes, stats don't matter nearly as much as player skill.
You don't have to kill the monsters because they respawn, you can just run past them if you want. Also in ds2 you could despawn them if you were so inclined. Haven't heard but I wouldn't mind seeing that in DS3.

I agree that these games aren't for casuals either. Too high of a barrier to entry. How one views its difficulty though I believe is tied to how you think of deaths. If you tie how many times you die to difficulty then you will see souls games as extremely difficult. If however you see the deaths as part of the process then with patience and experience you will learn how to beat it.

As someone who largely played games with the goal of not dying this took a while for me to grasp.

Having played the stress test, combat didn't seem all that much faster however I was in the middle of playing bloodborne at the time so that might have affected how it felt. Combat is definitely slower than bloodborne. At least what I encountered in the stress test.

Anyway can't wait to get my hands on this.

I can't use controllers' - I tried, waste of money. My brain is hard-wired for a M+K after years of playing that way and I don't have time to waste trying to rewire it. I have little enough game playing time as it is. If a PC game doesn't have proper - as in well designed - support for M+K I won't play it. I played DS2 for about 8 hours, managed the crappy controls and the difficulty, but in the end the *grind* - which so many love - killed the game for me. I simply don't understand the attraction of games where you have to do the same stuff again…and again…and again…as the entire world and everything you killed respawns. But each to their own. The world seemed interesting and challenging combat is fine (but not if its challenging because of shit controls). Anyway I'm sure I'm in a minority and everyone will rave about how it is the best thing evar.

My cousin here has a point.
DS reminded me of watching my grandfather train a mule: hit it with stick, hit it with stick...it'll get it eventually. ;)
Games with well designed difficulty encourage spontaneous, creative thinking, learning on your feet... are flexible enough to allow you to create your own solutions.
NOT rigid memorization.

The more hype a game gets, the more I'm moving away from it (maybe that's the reason why Unravel was the ONLY game that really got my attention ?).

Whatv does "git gud" mean, by the way ? Is this an attempt to recreate Neanderthalian language ?

Back
Top Bottom