KoA: Reckoning - Retrospective @ IM PLAYIN

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
A small UK site by the name of IM PLAYIN published a short retrospective article for Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning this week. Here is a short sample of the article.

In a sea of generic role-playing games stands one that deserves much more credit for its entertainment value than it was ever given. That game is Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. Not only does it provide hours upon hours of gameplay, but it also has stellar combat mechanics that set it apart from other titles in the genre.
More information.

I wanted to like this game much more than I did. I put in maybe 20 hours before getting too bored to continue. I wish the company survived as the development team would likely have made some better CRPGs after Amalur.

Yes. I wanted to like it too. I think the extremely easy difficulty was what turned me off. I ended up rushing thru the game just to finish it.

X4

I had high hopes for this game, with Salvatore involved in the development (not a favorite author but nonetheless someone I consider skilled in creating fantasy) I thought it would be something much better.

However, the combat was really "yawn-inducing" and after 17-18 hours I was just far too bored with both story and game mechanics to persevere any longer. That in itself is a real rarity, since when I start playing a crpg I generally "soldier on" even when I think the game is a good distance "below average".

Same here. After the first 20 or so hours I realized "oh wow, this boring game isn't actually going to get any better…" So, I rushed through the rest of it (probably the last 66%+ of the game) to finish it ASAP. Thanks to level scaling, I was able to skip past almost the whole rest of the game to get to the ending. And that is probably the only time in my life that I've ever been grateful for level scaling. It took an RPG this bad to make it happen.

I had high hopes for this one, but it turned out to be hollow and generic. Rolston the mouthpiece managed to get me a bit hyped, even though I always considered him somewhat akin to Molyneux when it comes to exaggeration and hyperbole.

Lesson finally learned.

One thing they did right in KoA: the crafting. And that part i loved.

I confess that I have only invested some hours into it, before I discovered other games. But I plan to return to Amalur, because...

KoA was the first (and maybe the last) CRPG that made me making a magic user char. This was the first game in which playing a Wizard did not feel like a snorefest.

I played and finished it about a month ago. I think the game would have been MUCH better if they had simply reduced the loot probability tables by 75%. I already gave my review in the 'Last game you finished' thread somewhere else.

In a sea of generic role-playing games stands one that deserves much more credit for its entertainment value than it was ever given. That game is Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. Not only does it provide hours upon hours of gameplay, but it also has stellar combat mechanics that set it apart from other titles in the genre.

cant stop laughing :lol:

cant stop laughing :lol:

It's like the only RPG with chakrams, it gets bonus points just for those.

I bought Amalur on some sale for 5 bucks. Just the game. Not dreaded DLC made for a fail.
And still didn't play it. Will I ever, dunno.

Not sure why we need a retrospective for a game that wasn't adored by critics nor audience and for all I know it's not considered as a cult product.

The actual question about this game should be - if you played it, would you buy it's sequel if it was made as "more of the same"?

I couldn't get past the starter dungeon before getting bored to tears. Despite a steep Steam discount, and it's one of those games you wish you could erase from your library since it's just taking up space on the list.

Even if you didn't know the behind-the-scenes backstory of 38 Studios, from the first minute Amalur felt as if someone tried to combine everything currently trending in games, together— but amped to level 10, in a single monstrosity of rejected synergy. It was like the WWE version of RPGs: glitzy, fake and in the end, you can only dress a man up in tights so many times before things get awkward.

The true losers here were the citizens of Massachusetts, who fell victim to celebrity-pandering politicians and the approval of $75 mil tax dollar guarantee.

There was a combat difficulty mod that made this game vastly more enjoyable. You built the ultimate pool much more slowly and gained much less xp per kill. You could actually do everything in the game and not out-level it.

But you can't kill everything. Everything revives in this game.

All the talent in the creation of this game, and it utterly failed. This one is sadly lumped in the Dragon Age 2+ and Mass Fail 3 categories for me. What a shame, because the potential on this was so huge.

Back
Top Bottom